Re-Amping with protools help??

schlagdog

Inspired
Anyone using AXEFX2 with protools? I can't seem to even get it to record through USB. Its turning into nothing but a headache. I want to try and reamp some dry signals I have and can't get it all working with inputs and outputs. I found a couple posts on here where people couldn't figure it out and then nobody ever had any answers. I can change the playback to AXEFX In or AXEFX out but neither work correctly.

Which protools ? (> 9 ?)
if 9 or > do you try to use AxeII as audio interface ?
Personally I use spdif i/o doing this (w/ 2 simple rca video cable) on Digi003, Ultra.

It's protools 9. I go into my hardware setting where I normally have it set for my project mix and it gives to AXEFX IN or AXEFX OUT. Either one doesn't work correctly. It's fairly confusing to try and figure out and so far can't find anyone using protools 9 with it that says how they get it to work. I'd love to use the AXEFX as my in & outs instead of the project mix.

I'm on PTHD 9.x and I haven't messed with the USB i/o yet. I have no problem using the AES connections between PT and the Axe2. I've only done reamping a few times so far, but it worked fine for me. Have you tried this method or are you dead set on usb?

Where in protools do set up the AXEFX? I just need to know in the setting. I've gone into the playback engine part and set it to AXEFX then either the inputs don't show up or the outputs don't show up in the tracks. They will just show inactive.

Anyone using AXEFX2 with protools? I can't seem to even get it to record through USB. Its turning into nothing but a headache. I want to try and reamp some dry signals I have and can't get it all working with inputs and outputs. I found a couple posts on here where people couldn't figure it out and then nobody ever had any answers. I can change the playback to AXEFX In or AXEFX out but neither work correctly.

Need more info dude. Mac...PC...OS?

No problems here running PT 9 with my Axe II on a 2010 iMac OS X 10.6.8. If you're on a Mac, you need to first go into Audio/MIDI Setup under Utilities and create an aggregate device by clicking the + and selecting "Axe-FX II Audio In" and Axe-FX II Audio Out". Just name it Axe FX II. Then in Pro Tools, go to Setup -> Playback Engine and select Axe FX II as your current engine.

Then you need to go to Setup -> I/O and click "Default" on the Input and Output tabs. On my computer, it gives me "Front Left and Front Right" (which are the wet tracks from the Axe Fx), and "Front Center and Low Frequency Effects" (which are the dry tracks). Not sure what the deal is with the strange naming, but I just simply changed the names in PT's I/O screen to read: Axe FX II L Wet, Axe FX II R Wet, Axe FX II L Dry, and Axe FX II R Dry. This way when I select an input, I know exactly what it relates to. To record, I basically create 2 stereo tracks in PT...select the 2 wet inputs as one stereo track, and the 2 dry as the other. This way I can go back to the dry tracks and reamp if necessary.

Pretty simple once you have everything setup properly.

I had it pretty much set up like that but here are my issues. Do I need to have the AXEFX2 set in I/O to USB all the time? I have a dry guitar track I want to reamp. No matter what input they are set to the track is reamping all awesome. So I want to record it fully amped to a different track so I am sending it from output 1 to another track with output 1 as the input. Basically like I do whenever I have used any plugin to reamp except I have send a bus to the input. So I play and record like I always do with protools and its playing all reamped but the track I am recording just turns out as plain guitar no mateer which input or output I try and use. I'm basically using the exact setup as you have. PT9, new Imac, and AXEFX2.

You need to set Main Input Source to "USB" when reamping. Make sure USB/DIGI Out Source = Out 1 as well.

The unprocessed DAW track should output to at least the left of the 2 output channels--no reason to send on the right unless you recorded multiple outputs like mag/piezo in stereo. The Axe will only use the left channel if you leave input 1 select at "left only".

The track you want to record the processed guitar to should have the first 1 or 2 (depending on whether you've set up a mono or stereo sound) of the 4 total input channels selected as the input. Solo the unprocessed guitar track (can't currently monitor a stereo mix through the Axe while reamping) and record--the new processed sound should be recorded to the armed track.

I had it pretty much set up like that but here are my issues. Do I need to have the AXEFX2 set in I/O to USB all the time? I have a dry guitar track I want to reamp. No matter what input they are set to the track is reamping all awesome. So I want to record it fully amped to a different track so I am sending it from output 1 to another track with output 1 as the input. Basically like I do whenever I have used any plugin to reamp except I have send a bus to the input. So I play and record like I always do with protools and its playing all reamped but the track I am recording just turns out as plain guitar no mateer which input or output I try and use. I'm basically using the exact setup as you have. PT9, new Imac, and AXEFX2.

Try this:

* Create 3 stereo audio tracks in PT
* Name them Wet, Dry, and Reamp
* In PT, set the input of the Wet track to Axe Fx 1-2 (or Axe Fx Wet if you renamed it like I mentioned in my previous post)
* In PT, set the input of the Dry track to Axe Fx 3-4
* Arm the Wet and Dry tracks
* On the Axe FX II, make sure under I/O the "Main Input Source" is set to Analog (In 1)
* Hit Record in PT and play some riffage
* When you're finished, mute the Wet track
* In PT, set the input of the Reamp track to Axe Fx 1-2
* Arm the Reamp track
* On the Axe FX II, change "Change Main Input Source" to USB under I/O
* Hit play in PT - you should now be hearing the dry track processed through the Axe Fx
* Audition presets until you find something you like
* When you're ready, hit record to commit the processed signal onto the Reamp track
* Don't forget to set the input source back to Analog (In 1)
* Rinse and repeat

That's what works for me. Let me know if this helps.

I got it working but now the problem is LATENCY. I cranked my MAC down and I think I got it all solved as good as I could get it. Thanks a TON for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have followed these instructions verbatim. I can get the wet and dry track to record no problem but when I arm my reamp track it is as though I get a feedback loop. I am using PT 9.5 and Windows 7 x64.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

So I figured out that if I mute the "reamp" track in PT, I can hear the reamped sound just fine via the "dry" track playing through the Axe via USB. Everything sounds great except the recorded reamp track still sounds like there is some wierd ring modulation/distortion going on. It seems like some sort of loop.

I am stumped:(

Is it a very pronounced weird sound or is subtle but noticeable? I ask because I swear I heard the same thing when I reamped for the first time the other day.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

Quick question:

Do you need to use the AXE FX as your audio device for this, or can you use a 002 as your main sound source (to monitors)?

You don't have to use the II as your main interface for this to work. If you wish to reamp in the full mix context you'll need another interface to act as your main interface. I have yet to try this in PT 9 but I plan to tonight. If I can find my FireWire cable. The 002 would be set as playback engine.

Do you have issues using your II as an interface? My setup has intermittent issues. Sometimes it plays back all tracks all distorted. Sometimes it's fine. I always have to press play like 20 times to record anything. Then when I switch back to another interface all is well.

I'm a high gain djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

You don't have to use the II as your main interface for this to work. If you wish to reamp in the full mix context you'll need another interface to act as your main interface. I have yet to try this in PT 9 but I plan to tonight. If I can find my FireWire cable. The 002 would be set as playback engine.

Do you have issues using your II as an interface?

No problems using the AXE II as an audio interface, I'd just rather use the modded 002 we have in this room.

Still not sure how to make this work :(

No problems using the AXE II as an audio interface, I'd just rather use the modded 002 we have in this room.

Still not sure how to make this work :(

On Windows 7 64 bit here with PT 10.

You can't use the 002 and Axe II via USB at the same time on Windows. So, going analog in/out of the Axe is your only option if you want to use the 002.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom