Re-amping with Pro Tools 8.05 - Help Needed

Narzugon

Power User
I posted questions a while back about re-amping with my setup. Unfortunately, I never found a solution so I put it on the back burner for a while. I'm in the mood once again so I decided to have a fresh go at it.

My setup:

Win XP
M-Audio Delta 1010LT Audio Interface
AXE II connected via S/PDIF and USB
PT 8.05
Adam A-7 monitors
QSC FRFR monitors

Preferences: I would prefer to keep the connections from the Axe to the computer down to S/PDIF and or USB. I would also like to hear the backing tracks while dialing in a a re-amp'd track (if possible with my setup).

Would someone be so nice as to give me a step by step on how to do this? I'm tech savy and know my way around the computer/PT so no need in spending time explaining how to create tracks or the like. I guess I need to know how to route the audio.

Many thanks!

For starters you will not be able to use USB. You'll need at lease PT9 for that. You can take an output from you interface into direct box backwards. (or you can buy a Radial reamp kit) then you can use S/PDIF back into you audio interface.

As for recording the dry track you can use a direct box into your interface and the parallel output into the Axe II input.

Thanks for replying Shotgunn. Yeah, PT8 is locked down. I was hoping I could route the USB signal into my 1010LT mixer some how. In Axe Edit/Settings/Midi Settings/Monitors I can set the following and get the "Test" tone through the card's mixer and into my studio monitors. If I can route the audio in this fashion I can record it in PT8.

Audio Device type: ASIO
Device: M-Audio Delta ASIO
Active Output Channels: Analog Out 1/2 Delta or any of it's other channels.
Active Input Channels: Analog Out 1/2 Delta or any of it's other channels.

The problem is that I can't monitor any audio coming from the Axe2. Why is that?

While I'm on the subject of USB, I can't monitor audio from the Axe if I set XP's audio preferences to use the Axe for a Playback or Recording device.
I assume I should be able to monitor this through my PC speakers.

When I was trying to use S/PDIF exclusively to re-amp, I used the Axe2-> I/O -> USB/Digi Out Source=Input to record my dry track while monitoring a wet amp through my FRFR's. Problem here was when I tried to send the dry track back to my Axe via S/PDIF. The Axe2 gives me the "No Input Clock" error.

So in both USB and S/PDIF realms, I'm close yet so far away.

Actually, I forgot. I just did a similar trick in the studio the other day. You can set your USB/DIGI source to Output 2 (or 1, I think) run a row of shunts from the input to the output. Then pan that row to the left (or right) then take your amp/FX chain to another row and pan that to the right (or left, as long as they are opposite.)

Back
Top Bottom