RE-amping solution Logic/Mac (all digital paths)

EDIT (This method has the advantage of being all digital while also allowing auditioning of the whole mix while adjusting re-amp parameters. It works with most DAW's I have tried. I now use Ableton mostly. I use a MAC and Aggregate devices seem to works seamlessly in this OS. I understand that Windows may be less reliable in this regard)

I have seen a number of conflicting solutions for AXE re-amping here and the Logic forum and post this summary for simplified searching and reference. It took me a lot of trial and error to learn about aggregate devices and separating the various device channels to make it work smoothly.

Logic only take one IO device so you have to make an Aggregate Device. If you dont do this you will have to route ALL output to AXE OR DI and won't be able to separate individual tracks and send to each device for monitoring or processing.

My Aggregate Device is my DI and AXE combined so there are 24 inputs and 22 outputs accessing all DI and AXE inputs and outputs.

To create and Aggregate Device go to the Mac Audio Midi Setup utility and make a new aggregate device (Press "+" at bottom). Select your DI(s) and the Axe. Keep track of what I/O goes to what device channel. This makes one large virtual DI and every input and output on both (or more) devices will be accessible within Logic.

Set both Input and output on Logic Pro X - Preferences - Audio to the Aggregate Device. I haven't found a way to rename this.

Then set up tracks.

A simple setup is as follows:
1) Wet track: input = wet out of AXE, output = stereo out (Monitor out)
2) Dry track: input = dry out of AXE, output = AXE input
3) Re-amp track: input = wet out of AXE, output = stereo out (Monitor out)
4) All other tracks: output = stereo out or other non-AXE out.

Record enable track 1&2 and record your track. You will get wet and dry.
Then set AXE I/O on page 2 of I/O screen on AXE to USB.
Mute track 1 (wet guitar) and make sure track 2 (dry) is not muted.
Record enable track 3 (Re-amp track) and enable input monitoring.

Play your region - the dry track will not be heard but will flow through the output (which is set to the AXE input) through the AXE and back into track 3 RE-Amp. The monitoring will be the new wet signal. You can also monitor the rest of the mix and audition various AXE processing in context. As you change the AXE configuration you will hear it live on the fly in your full mixe.

Record as usual.

You can also use the I/O insert as opposed to setting the output of the track as above. That approach works but seems to add complications. I also like all the configuration to be visible on the main mixer screen.

I hope that helps

P.S. Control clicking on output button in mixer window allows it to be changed on the fly if you want to reroute the DRy signal to re-amp with a VST etc..

Last edited:
I generally steer clear of aggregate devices because it's not well supported by all device manufacturers. Do have any problem with clock drift and multi-device sync when you do an aggregate? What's your non-Fractal device you're aggregating with?

I generally steer clear of aggregate devices because it's not well supported by all device manufacturers. Do have any problem with clock drift and multi-device sync when you do an aggregate? What's your non-Fractal device you're aggregating with?
personally i use the built-in audio with my axe as aggregate. just take the headphone out of the computer itself! granted i've only done this a few times now, but i've had perfect results. not sure about clock drift as i haven't experienced it. there is a setting something like "adjust for drift" in the AgDev setup. no issues for me yet doing a couple 4 hour recording sessions and then a few hours of reamping afterwards.

not sure if a 2nd external interface would cause problems, though i do remember this NOT working for me before. not sure what i'm doing differently now, if anything.

I am using a Saffire Pro 40 and have not experienced any issues. I use the AXE as the master clock and sync the Saffire to it and no problems so far.

If one doesn't use the Aggregate device then the only way to re-amp is using analogue inputs. Unless you have another solution?

If one doesn't use the Aggregate device then the only way to re-amp is using analogue inputs. Unless you have another solution?
SPDIF works fine. You can always switch devices in the project, temporarily, to re-amp over USB on the AFII as well.

That is correct, however over SPDIF you can only record 1 signal.
To record AXE FX output and DI you need to use the AXE FX as the audio interface as well.

There is no way to record wet/dry signal over spdif, unless create a bypass on your preset and pan hard left/right in the preset output.
It has been frustrating.
I would use the AXE as a main DAW, but that limits the preset contents; plus there is no phantom powered mic input on the AXE (not on the III either)
As soon as the preset goes over 73% CPU or the DAW has too many tracks you get drop-outs.

So I use a different Audio I/F and record the AXXE FX through SPDIF
sad but true.

If someone has a better way to do this, please let me know.
James

There is no way to record wet/dry signal over spdif

Just plug your guitar into your audio interface instead of your AxeFX. Then run the dry from the audio interface to the AxeFX, and then the processed signal back to your audio interface, both using spdif. That gives you both dry and wet signal in the audio interface that you can record into your DAW into both dry and wet tracks.

But you'd be better off simply using USB instead of spdif. If you need to simultaneously record a mic, plug that into your audio interface and make an aggregate device so you can record the mic from your audio interface and your guitar from the AxeFX.

Glenn that sounds interesting.
I use my old Eleven Rack as my audio I/F so I do have a dry guitar signal there.

I just need to figure out how to push that out via SPDIF to the AXE FX.
Interesting thought.

OK did that, but o boy did that go wrong :)

Guitar in, as D/I from 11-rack, send output to SPDIF.
On AXEFX set main input as SPDIF.
Everything looks right, I see signal coming in on the AXEFX and on the DI track

Create a 2nd track to record from SPDIF in (which is the output fromt he AXEFX) and things go haywire.
Enormous beep and meters go crazy.

However, when I don't monitor, I can record, sound is aweful though.
I'm doing something wrong, but cannot figure it out.

Any suggestions are welcome.
It seems to me that 11-rack repeats all outputs to the SPDIF again, which it shouldn't creating a permanent loop.

Thanks,
James

Hey so far I have recorded 2 of my own albums without reamping and played on many more, so I should be good :)
It is just like in the old days: guitar -> pedals -> amp -> mic -> console..... No reamping, LOL.
Appreciate the help though, always trying to learn something new.

James

And for al those nay-sayers out there.
In a mix you can never tell the difference between the 'real' amp and the modeler.

In order of importance to your sound: hands, amp, guitar.
My first guitar teacher taught me a valuable lesson: if it doesn't sound good on an acoustic, pedals aint gonna make it any better.

I'm trying to use digital reamping on guitars that my friend recorded on his home, but I can't do it because I have a terrible feedback, someone could help me, my DAW is Pro tools. How could be my configuration. Thank you so much, Pd, I have Axe FX II XL+

Back
Top Bottom