Re-Amping Question

80sMetalDude

Inspired
I see on the wiki there are several guides for re-amping. The thing I'm wondering... could I record a dry track (in Ableton Live for example) and then use that track playing in a loop to dial in new presets on AX8?

It actually gets a little cumbersome to switch guitar > PC > change setting > guitar > PC > change setting > guitar > PC > change setting....

Maybe my light-bulb moment is going off way past the moment.

When I got the Scarlett 6i6 (it was suggested for the SPIDF) by users here and I chose that AI. I am far from recording anything to even worry about "re-amping tracks"... But it dawned on me this morning at work "Could I dial in tones" from a dry signal instead of going back and forth 100x between guitar and AX8-Edit???

I'm a noob only on a month ownership.

Thx

Amazing! Last night was just bliss playing a loop and playing with ALL the settings with way more patience not having to switch from guitar to mouse LOL.

Now here is the real funny part...

I go to Youtube after dinner last night on couch... First 'Recommended Video'....

AX8 Looper: Dial in Tone

(Name is prob not right but too funny the timing)

LoL!

what I do: my DI box has dual outputs. One XLR goes to my interface and records dry. The other goes to the AX8 input, and then out from the spdif to the interface. So I can record 2 tracks, wet and dry, and later send the dry track bac

what I do: my DI box has dual outputs. One XLR goes to my interface and records dry. The other goes to the AX8 input, and then out from the spdif to the interface. So I can record 2 tracks, wet and dry, and later send the dry track bac
Thx. I definitely need to go through the paces and get familiar with this at some point when I finally start laying some tracks down.

I just use the fx loop out to get the DI track recorded at the same time. My problem has been horrible noise when trying to re-amp though, and I'm wondering if a re-amp box would solve it or if I'm having some other issues.

I just use the fx loop out to get the DI track recorded at the same time. My problem has been horrible noise when trying to re-amp though, and I'm wondering if a re-amp box would solve it or if I'm having some other issues.

I tried all sorts of DI and reamp scenarios when I first got the AX8: Using the Out 2 set to Echo Input, and the reamp returning through input 2 gave me an identical match to the original amp track, which was not possible by other methods. I compared with a Focusrite ISA1 and a Radial J48, which are excellent DIs: But they do color the DI signal somewhat with the transformer or other circuitry: They do work, and very well, but they won't exactly replicate that original AX8 output (if you need to do that). The AX8 as the DI source for reamping easily recreates the original just by matching the return gain from the DAW into the amp model to get the same level (and therefore tone). This would come into play if you wanted the amp exactly the same, but wanted to change effects only from the effects printed on the original tracking. And since you can do either amp or effects or both from the single AX8 DI track:, it makes having a number of amp only, effects only and mix tracks unnecessary: in my workflow, anyway.

I recommend using the AX8 Out 2 to DI as an easy implemented standard recording procedure. I always record this "DI safety track" along with the main outs track; and know it can do anything required later if needed: Change the amp or effects, do both, or use it for doubling, etc. Even if there is no intention to ever reamp or change effects: Those possibilities are always there from that single DI track for minimal effort.

No noise issues whatever with the AX8 and a UAD Apollo. Any noise issues are usually traced to a guitar's shielding or pickups, sometimes a cable or grounding.

Last edited:

I also went through much trial and error to get rid of the noise when reamping. What worked in the end was a quality DI box to my Focusrite 6i6 interface (Even cheap XLR cables gave me noise-trouble here! Got a quality one to go from the DI to the interface, and got rid of the noise on the input side). When reamping i go from the output of the interface into a standard reamp box and from there into the AX8 input. All the other stuff I tried, using the FX loop etc. gave me more or less degree of noise.

I recommend using the AX8 Out 2 to DI as an easy implemented standard recording procedure. I always record this "DI safety track" along with the main outs track; and know it can do anything required later if needed: .

Possibly a dumb question, but for the dry track do you mean AX8>DI Box>Focusrite or AX8>Focusrite directly?

I'm pretty sure he meant AX8's Out 2 (echoing Input 1) > Focusrite. You use the AX8 as DI box...

Righto. AX8 Out 2 (echo input) as an analog in to the Interface. Outs 1 (or I prefer SPDIF) to the interface for the full amp & effects.
Truth be told: 95% of the time reamping isn't in the plans for myself or clients I record. But when you need it: you really need it: And if you've recorded that DI track: if it is ever needed (eg. the guitarist that laid down the track has moved out of town and can't redo it): That DI is there and ready to save your butt.

Back
Top Bottom