Re-amping Axe-Fx 3

toddmarino

Hello everyone, I'm waiting for the new Axe 3 and I have a re-amping questions. I have a Pro Tools rig connected to an Avid Omni which is my DAW interface. I have read the instructions for the Axe 3 and every example I have read is stating that you have to re-amp using the USB in's and out's, while using the Axe 3 as the audio interface. I don't want to do it this way. Is there another way to do this? Like maybe assigning one of the outputs on the Axe 3 to be a dedicated DI output? Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!

Hello everyone, I'm waiting for the new Axe 3 and I have a re-amping questions. I have a Pro Tools rig connected to an Avid Omni which is my DAW interface. I have read the instructions for the Axe 3 and every example I have read is stating that you have to re-amp using the USB in's and out's, while using the Axe 3 as the audio interface. I don't want to do it this way. Is there another way to do this? Like maybe assigning one of the outputs on the Axe 3 to be a dedicated DI output? Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!
You can easily add a block to to your presets for a different set of outputs and easily use another input block as well for analog reamping.

I too use the Omni, Pro Tools & AxeIII (Omni as interface).

I have the Omni & Axe joined via s/pdif (digital connection with Omni clock set as Master) but use an AxeIII output block connected to an Omni input for DI signal.

I have also used the USB connection and it has produced excellent results, in fact, no noticeable difference in signal quality. In any event, either way is possible depending on whether or not the extra I/O's being used by both units connecting via analogue are needed for something else.

The USB cable and analogue cables are permanently connected so the choice is just a matter of changing playback engine in Pro Tools....easy peasy.

So you have the Axe connected via s/pdif and you have a separate analog out running into an input of the Omni for DI tracking?

I used to use the SDIF connection but it didn't play well when I would send guitar tracks to other people with different DAWs. They would sometimes hear clicks and pops because they wouldn't have their resolution set correctly and such. That's why I've always chosen the analog method. I have always used the analog outs of the Axe FX2 and put them into outputs 3 and 4 in my Avid Omni.

I wonder if it's possible to use the analog outs of the AXE like I always do, but use the s/pdif connection for the DI? That would work better for me. I could be over thinking this?

I too use the Omni, Pro Tools & AxeIII (Omni as interface).

I have the Omni & Axe joined via s/pdif (digital connection with Omni clock set as Master) but use an AxeIII output block connected to an Omni input for DI signal.

I have also used the USB connection and it has produced excellent results, in fact, no noticeable difference in signal quality. In any event, either way is possible depending on whether or not the extra I/O's being used by both units connecting via analogue are needed for something else.

The USB cable and analogue cables are permanently connected so the choice is just a matter of changing playback engine in Pro Tools....easy peasy.

Or, what If I just use the analog outs for tracking like I always do and use the USB connection to get a DI track?

And Zed, thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate this! Sounds like you and I have a very similar Pro Tools rig.

Back
Top Bottom