Re-Amp problem ??? Help me out [SeeD]

SeeD

Fractal Fanatic
I think i have a problem With my Axe fx II

I play my Bass.. and the input tikkles the red on the front of the Axe fx. So all is good !

But when i record into Cubase.. i take the Re-Amp track,and set the USB in the i/o (main input Source) and then ..i see,that i dont even get the Yellow lights to light up.. the signal is weaker,the the original (from my bass)

So the problem is.. i dont get what i "put in".. when i re-amp. This is cousing me to "think" guess.. that i need more Gain also. The weaker the signal.. the less gain

I bugs the hell out of me.

This is the same With my guitars as well (same problem)

At the moment i`m recording a band in my small studio,so this is a BIG problem for me. Of course i can "bump" up the dry signal.. but then again,i am guessing about in output signal,gowing into the Axe fx (when Re_-amping)

SeeD

Anyone from FAS ??

The dry signal is extremely low. It's supposed to be. When you run that back into the AxeFXII when you re-amp it's basically the signal of the guitar/bass's pickups and hits the front end of the effects chain exactly the same. And I mean EXACTLY the same.

When I say extremely low I mean like in the -40dBFS range.

Thanks !
Yeah i know it is extremely low . But i would Guess,i get alot less then that.
hmmm

I might do a video . Just to show this thing

[...] But when i record into Cubase.. i take the Re-Amp track,and set the USB in the i/o (main input Source) and then ..i see,that i dont even get the Yellow lights to light up.. the signal is weaker,the the original (from my bass)

So the problem is.. i dont get what i "put in".. when i re-amp. This is cousing me to "think" guess.. that i need more Gain also. The weaker the signal.. the less gain

^^^ Same with me. I noticed this already at earlier Firmwares and couldn't solve that problem.

Sound Clip. These are not the same (But Should be ! )

Original.. tikkles the Red on front planel... Re_amp just the Green. (not even yellow)

And you can hear there is some "drive" missing in the second Clip

On bass:

Another guitar Clip:

This cant be right ?

Last edited:
The LED activity won't be the same because the first time you're seeing it before unity gain compensation. The level entering the grid should be the same each time.

I'm not encountering any difference here, but I think I hear slightly less drive/level on your 3rd clip's reamp portion. It's hard to tell with the others. If you haven't done this already, the first thing I'd look into is Cubase's pan law settings. If you're using a nonzero pan law and send a center-panned track, you'll reduce level by the pan law value. Panning the track left (assuming left only input mode on Axe-FX) or disabling the pan law should produce the original level.

Thanks Bakerman !
I will try some more later today.
I record the proseced signal to a MONO track.. and a mono dry track. So this is panned center,when i send it back into the xae fx (via USB in i/o settings)

I will try to pan it left.

But the reamp track is set to stereo out in cubase.. so i made a MONO out in cubase. I tried that,it did someting. But i was verry tired.

And i didi not know about the Pan Law. Hmm,i will try to set it to "Off"

So i tried alot of thing. But the Re-amp signal is.. to week ?
I cubase i see that Pan Law is set to Equal Power. So this must be the right setting.

I do not know what else to try out. Something is not right here.
I hear it in the clips i postet.. and so did you Bakerman

Could someone else.. record 2 track.. one wet and one dry (and do a re-amp,with the dry one) ????
And post it here :)

I think there is something in the Dry signal via usb.. it must be a bit to week on my unit

I always noticed this too using Cubase, but I learned to live with it within the mix cause it added clarity for me personally. I however learned I could correct it by panning hard left, and raising the track volume as needed above 0 until it tickled red. Wish I could give a more solid answer, but I didn't continue into it because I ended up just being okay with it.

I have had no problem with level changes when reamping, and i think i used a stereo track in DAW to record and playback the direct signal for reamping (USB digital 3,4) and didn't change any panning, levels, or L/R select from their default factory settings. Maybe there is something about recording/playback the direct track in mono, if the signal comes back at half what it should be. Maybe see what happens when you record the direct rack in stereo...

I believe I remember trying it both with a stereo and mono track for the D.I. signal, and ended up with the same results SEED is having.

I will try the Stereo (left) when recording later. But i am not shure it will work..any better. So i might need to contact G66.
As i do not trust re-amping with my axe fx.

Maby Someone from FAS could comment ??

I cubase i see that Pan Law is set to Equal Power. So this must be the right setting.

No--that means it's lowering level to maintain what it considers to be equal power as you pan toward center. Adding a second speaker of sound without turning down the first is adding power, but that's ideal here because only the left channel matters.

There's likely nothing wrong with your Axe-FX. You need to disable Cubase's pan law, or balance the track left, or turn up the DI track level.

There's a setting for 0db instead of equal power, would that be the same as disabling it as you say Bakerman? I've left it at equal power always, and tried panning the D.I. track hard left in the past but it still seemed to be suffering from less gain as SeeD described as having. I'd say almost around a 6db drop in volume when reamping.

There's a setting for 0db instead of equal power, would that be the same as disabling it as you say Bakerman? I've left it at equal power always, and tried panning the D.I. track hard left in the past but it still seemed to be suffering from less gain as SeeD described as having. I'd say almost around a 6db drop in volume when reamping.

0 dB disables it. If the track balanced left results in less gain than centered, check Axe Input 1 mode which should be "left only".

Back
Top Bottom