RCF vs FBT recording

They both sound pretty good, but it would be cool to also hear a *direct* recording. I assume this is the same patch with both speakers?

Yes, same patch, same mikes, same everything. Recorded from 1.5m distance on axis.
Direct it sounds very similar to the RCF with less highs (the mikes I used - MBHO MS-pair - are a bit trebly and my room is also...).

Hot damn, Peter, that's great! Thanks for posting that!

It doesn't seem intuitive to record two FRFRs with a mic (!) but the results speak for themselves. Very, very useful!

To me, the FBT portion sounds nasal and "honky" (just like my FBTs sound (to me) in reality). This sort of "mic'ed FRFR" may be more useful than you would tend to think...

I really hope you'll get a chance to post a direct recording also, for a third point of reference.

Wow. What a difference. The RCF sounds great to me. Very alive and amp-like. The FBT sounds distant and cloudy. I have RCF 310A's which I like well enough, but this sounds like a bit step up. Thanks for giving me more GAS;-)

Mike

If you take the mic and the room out of the equation the RCF sounds very much identical to the direct signal. It's a great box, I might even try to mix on them for fun in the studio, because the imaging is so great and the sound comparable to my Klein&Hummel O300D (!!).

Peter, you've got me GASing for a pair of RCF NX-12 SMA's now! And after I just picked up another K12...

I can only advise everybody to actually try the speakers out for themselves. I bought the Verve 12mA because of its good reputation here and got burned... Don't buy just because other people like something.

I can only advise everybody to actually try the speakers out for themselves. I bought the Verve 12mA because of its good reputation here and got burned... Don't buy just because other people like something.

This -^

Same here. But now my Verve 12mA is sold, and I've decided to buy a couple of Adam A7Xs.

EDIT: Hah, I just realized the irony in this. I haven't actually tried the Adam A7Xs either.. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Peter. I greatly appreciate the time you took to do this. While the RCF sounds way better than the Verve 12ma to my ears, it still sounds a bit scooped and with somewhat harsh highs as compared to the direct recording. I have a RCF 310a, which I dislike (scooped around the crossover frequency, to my ears), maybe I'm biased... Have you tried the same patch through the RCF with a blocking PEQ to see if it sounds closer to the direct sound? Or do you think my impression is due to the sonic signature of the mics you used? Thanks, man.

Back
Top Bottom