RCF NX12SMA vs. ???

CactusTone

Inspired
I'm interested in hearing from players who have used the RCF NX12SMA, the Atomic CLR, and the Friedmann ASM-12.

I've been using the ASM-12, and it's doing a fair job, but it is noisy (hiss-wise), and seems very dark and colored by a preponderance of low end compared to my HS8 studio monitors, which sound much more balanced to me. Obviously it has more low-end due to it's size, but it's the bass-heavy "coloration" of the entire tone that bugs me more than the actual amount of bass present in the sound from a bigger speaker and housing. It's like the clarity of the highs gets swallowed by low end and the entire tonal spectrum gets shifted. In a nutshell, the ASM doesn't seem "Flat Response." I need a gig wedge, and obviously a pair of HS8s won't work on a stage setting.

Does the RCF fit the bill without disproportionally favoring the bass spectrum? Does it have any issues? How does it compare with the Atomic CLR Wedge? Does the CLR have any issues?

As a side note: I fell in love with the ASM after first using my AXE XL+ through a VHT 2/50/2 and Mesa cab. It opened up the potential of the AXE tremendously. However, since I started sculpting my tones in a studio setting, I noticed how much better yet the AXE's tones can get. I'm now realizing that the ASM may not be the best solution for me if I'm looking for the frequency distribution as my monitors, but bigger for stage use. Not trying to diss the ASM at all.

Although I have not used two out of the three you are looking to hear about, I will say comparing your ASM to the HS8's would not be the best way to go about doing it. Unless of course you have added the cut switch in the amp blocks or set the low cut freq in the cab blocks to limit the ASM's from producing low end that the Yamaha's aren't going to at the same volume levels.

On another note the RCF's from what I have read from others that have posted in the past is that it's a great monitor! but 1, the sweet spot is not as wide as the CLR (may be a good thing if you are a vocalists) 2, the handle is in an awkward location relative to the connections 3, no secondary inputs 4, price is right up there with the CLR Neo version.

I have both ASM and the RCF and Xitone and CLR
Adjust your pre sets for the asm and problem is solved you can use a filter but with Depth/ Mids /Treb/ Presence/ MV all adjusted you will have a seet sounding cab like FRFR solution.

RCF is a very high end pa monitor and sounds really good but no where as good as good for the Fractal amps and re creating what the virtual rig is trying to do because it is a pa speaker and thus sounds like one. I currently use mine to bolster my pa as kick as monitors.

Xitone and CLR are both going to have better sound dispersion than the asm and will not break your back transporting!

I had the RCF but the dispersion was too narrow, couldn't move around without losing the sound. CLR is fantastic.

I'm one of the once-majority-now-minority RCF users who is still quite pleased with the speaker and not looking to replace it. I love that the field isn't too wide as it allows me to put it in places without worrying about side bleed taking out the keyboard player, etc. It has worked flawlessly in hundreds of gigs over the last several years, indoors and out. Best of all, it sounds great to my ear and isn't fatiguing to listen to in any way. "Better" or "Best" will always be in the ear of the listener, so every one here who says they have the best is likely telling the truth. It's the best for them. Best for you might be any of the above or something entirely different.

i like the RCF's as well

i would say it sounds like this might be a good time to have a look at the global eq. just pull out the frequencies you don't like and be a happy bunny. you could spend 10 minutes playing some music through the axe and A/Bing between your monitors and the asm (use out 1 and out 2). this will give you a very clear picture of how they differ and you can adjust the global eq without playing guitar at the same time (and enjoy your favourite jam while doing it)

My RCF was the best thing I ever heard until the other entered the sonic landscape! It definitely remains head shoulders above most of the other pa type frfr speakers out there for sure!

Although I have not used two out of the three you are looking to hear about, I will say comparing your ASM to the HS8's would not be the best way to go about doing it. Unless of course you have added the cut switch in the amp blocks or set the low cut freq in the cab blocks to limit the ASM's from producing low end that the Yamaha's aren't going to at the same volume levels.

On another note the RCF's from what I have read from others that have posted in the past is that it's a great monitor! but 1, the sweet spot is not as wide as the CLR (may be a good thing if you are a vocalists) 2, the handle is in an awkward location relative to the connections 3, no secondary inputs 4, price is right up there with the CLR Neo version.
Yep, cut switches engaged, and Cab Low Freq Resonance lowered as well.

i've a couple of clr since few years. it's a great ideal product for the axefx users.
i've only a little comment on it on their low pass frequency of 75hz.
depending on some amp modelisation and real cab resonnant frequency, i feel a little lack on this specific point.

Looks like i might pull the trigger on a used RCF NX10sma. Always wanted to try one and i like the smaller 10 cab. I used to have 2 CLRs and they sounded great just couldn't keep them working.

Looks like i might pull the trigger on a used RCF NX10sma. Always wanted to try one and i like the smaller 10 cab. I used to have 2 CLRs and they sounded great just couldn't keep them working.
Do you mean they kept failing on you?! That would strongly influence my decision if they did.

Never tried the ASM, but I own the RCF, CLR and XiTone.
Love all three of them, and my patches translate well between them all.
Thanks! Can you elaborate on the differences between the RCF and CLR, even if they are subtle?

@CactusTone the differences between RCF and CLR are very apparent. The CLR sounds flat and translates exactly what you are dialing in on the axe.There is also a very noticeable wider dispersion of sound due to the co axle design.

The RCF is also fairly flat, however it has a Hi fi pa like thing to which is always present. Hard to describe, best bet is to A/B them.

@CactusTone the differences between RCF and CLR are very apparent. The CLR sounds flat and translates exactly what you are dialing in on the axe.There is also a very noticeable wider dispersion of sound due to the co axle design.

The RCF is also fairly flat, however it has a Hi fi pa like thing to which is always present. Hard to describe, best bet is to A/B them.
Thanks! If only there were a way for me to do so! I don't know of any other Fractal users here in Tucson, let alone users who have a CLR and RCF. I'll look into the CLR and RCF dealer return policies. Looks like an expensive purchase just became more expensive!

Back
Top Bottom