RCF NX12-SMA for home use?

blackdc5r

Hello guys!

I have bought my FX II recently and now thinking to go for an active FRFR. Right now I am confused about what to choose, hence I`m posting here to see if you could help me to make up my mind.

So the thing is...

I have a good offer for a used RCF nx12-sma. The guy who sold the axe fx to me, has it for sale and says that he used it at home and for gigs. Based on reviews I can assume the nx12-sma is top notch for live, however I don't know how well will it perform for bedroom levels.

I will mainly be using it at home and rarely for live, but in the future I might start playing live more often, so I'd prefer more a 2 in 1 solution.

From the other hand for the price of a used NX12-SMA I could get a pair of decent studio monitors like EVENT 20/20 BAS ( or anything else you could recommend). But the events wont cover my needs for live if I will need to.

The size and the weight of the FRFR matters a lot as well, since I will move soon to other country and the RCF here has an advantage again over the event 20/20s

What am I looking from this thread is

1) to learn if the RCF will be good for home use (and easier to tweak the presets for live afterwards)
2) If I'll go for studio monitors what other monitors will you suggest to buy for price range of EUR 800 for the pair ?

Kind regards,

I have long been an advocate of the RCF speaker, and have enjoyed mine immensely for the reverse of your situation... that being mostly live and occasionally at home. For the uses you describe, I think the NX12SMA will be a great choice. You've already covered the best reasons, and they are the best because they are your reasons! The ability to use live when you want, size considerations, an opportunity for a good buy.

I can say it sounds great live, and a good part of that is that I normally build my presets using it at home. When I get to the band setting and need to do adjustments, they are relatively minor because I am not trying to both adjust to the band soundstage and the sound of a different speaker. It's just the band sound, as the speaker is the same. This is something people here struggle with a lot, judging by posts, when they make presets at home... they don't translate on their live rig with the band at gig volume. Using the same speaker minimizes that one variable.

There are a lot of pluses to studio monitors. If you are doing a lot of recording, and would get a lot of mutual use there, you might make a good argument for good studio monitors. You'll have to factor in all of your environment and considerations to make that distinction. Based on your post, though, I'd say the RCF will satisfy your needs. It is a very high quality speaker. I have been gigging with one regularly for quite some time and I have found it to be a solid performer in every way.

In my case, I use edirol Ma15d monitors for home use. Loud enough! For band use I bought a second hand alto pro ts110. Perfect for my needs right now.
But I already had the ma15d before I got the axe.

I'm using it the nx10 strictly for home (appartment) and I'm very happy about it. Can't say I've tested studio monitors at home but I don't feel the need to as I'm very satisfied as is.

I use mine for both Axe-fx and a PC monitor, and it sounds awesome! I have one for sale if you're interested.

Mrstrat, guess yours is the US version for 110v power. I'm in EU and will need a 220-240v version. Or am I wrong and they come 110-240v ?

Hi
I had two RCF NX-12 and they really sound good BUT for, playing mostly at home, the background hiss was way to loud.
I switched to a pair of EV ZAX-1.
Much lower hiss and sounds very good, but not as good as the RCF.
If the hiss had been lower I would have stayed with the RCF.
Mike
Sweden

That's very interesting! Thanks very much for sharing your experience, Mike!
@ rest: Have you guys experienced what Mike said ?

Controlling hiss in most powered speakers is accomplished by balancing the input level with the level setting of the speaker. I found the most hiss by turning the RCF way up (max) and feeding a low signal to it. Jack the volume on the Axe FX some, lower the RCF for the best ratio in my experience. It has never been absolutely dead quiet, but it was never problematically hissy either. Mine has actually demonstrated much less self noise than many other powered monitors I have used.

I use the RCF both at home and live. It's quiet (i.e. no no hiss) and I like the fact that my presets created at home with it, translate great for live use. I have put other sound sources (such as pc audio) through it and works great. I also like the form factor as it's low profile and sits nicely in my studio. I've tried other FRFR's, and I seem to always gravitate back to the RCF.

Back
Top Bottom