RCF NX-10 SMA reviews

It will make a difference, but the question is how much. Standard guitar cabs have a severe drop off in frequency response below 100Hz.

Yeah, I was trying to find the response of the Mesa 4x12 cabs, but couldn't come up with it. But I see what you mean by looking at Celestion's raw speaker curves. So maybe it's not that big a deal. Maybe it'll sound a little better, but I've never thought the sound that the heavy detuners get out of their cabs was lacking. I don't know what Pete from Chevelle has in his cabs, but I love his tone.

Tough call...4 inches and 4 pounds isn't that big a deal, and the cost difference isn't terrible, relatively speaking. I keep going back and forth between the 10 and the 12. Of course, I also go back and forth on pulling the trigger on the RCF vs waiting for Atomic and Matrix to come out with their options. And I haven't ruled out auditioning the QSC/JBL/EV options from GC first yet either.

bkrodgers said:
Hi there -- I just wanted to get your opinion on the RCF 10s and how they work with drop tunings and heavier stuff, if you've tried that. In particular, some of the really low stuff that bands like Chevelle do. They go down to C, B, and even A#, at which point you're getting down close to the 60 Hz rating of the 10s (vs 50 Hz for the 12s). But it looks from the frequency response charts that both the 10s and 12s are actually already starting to drop off quite a bit by 60 Hz. And I know guitar cabs are dropping off in that range as well. So maybe it doesn't matter.
Brian,
Really can't give you the juice on drop tunings through these boxes. I'm in 440 standard all the time.
But I can say running a pair L/R, on the floor with the EQ switch set for LO cut, these things have more bottom, and gain than I can use. We are not playing outdoors gig volume by any means, but in a medium size indoor gig, I would count on em' to get what I need for backline or PM's. I play a strat with Kinman's N/M and a Seymour Duncan HB on the B.
A buddy is buying a Baritone Tele, and wants to come spank on my rig. He plays in the drops. I'll post when,and if he shows.

Brian,
Really can't give you the juice on drop tunings through these boxes. I'm in 440 standard all the time.
But I can say running a pair L/R, on the floor with the EQ switch set for LO cut, these things have more bottom, and gain than I can use. We are not playing outdoors gig volume by any means, but in a medium size indoor gig, I would count on em' to get what I need for backline or PM's. I play a strat with Kinman's N/M and a Seymour Duncan HB on the B.
A buddy is buying a Baritone Tele, and wants to come spank on my rig. He plays in the drops. I'll post when,and if he shows.

Nice, thanks! I think the 10's likely to give me everything I need, and I imagine if it doesn't, it'll hold resale value reasonably well. I almost wish the 12 wasn't a mere 4" longer and 4 lbs heavier. I'd probably have an easier time settling on the 10 if the 12 wasn't just a touch heavier and longer than the 10.

bkrodgers said:
Hi there -- I just wanted to get your opinion on the RCF 10s and how they work with drop tunings and heavier stuff
I second that ..

I almost wish the 12 wasn't a mere 4" longer and 4 lbs heavier.
Well it is also roughly 20% more expensive. If there's no noteworthy difference, I'd think the choice is easy.

bumping this thread, everyone still run the RCF 10's? im thinking about picking up a pair. Was thinking about the 12s but i like the smaller size of the 10s. Would like to find a pair used if possible but i know that's hard to come by.

yep. bought mine just over 5 years ago and have pounded them every week since then. love 'em

Hey Simeon,
Just got a RCF 10, haven't had time to play through it yet but where do you run the volume on your rcf? also have you tried or used the AC link to power the second speaker? was wondering how that worked. thanks

i run mine on 9 (assuming there are 10 dots on the volume control) so my axe fx is at about half. you could do the same, or something different. depends on how loud you want to play, i guess.

i don't use the speakon power link, but we have those on our pa and they work as expected (i'm not sure what you're asking here, really).

i run mine on 9 (assuming there are 10 dots on the volume control) so my axe fx is at about half. you could do the same, or something different. depends on how loud you want to play, i guess.

i don't use the speakon power link, but we have those on our pa and they work as expected (i'm not sure what you're asking here, really).

thanks, ya what i meant to ask was does it just use a normal speakon to power the other speaker or does it need a special speakeon cable? i guess i should just ask RCF. i have another rcf 10 on the way i found used.

It's not a speakon,...it's a powercon.
They may look similar, but they are VERY different.
They are different key patterns.
It is absolutely not for carrying a 'speaker signal' from the RCF to another passive speaker.
They are for carrying AC power from one device to another.

Go to Redco and buy the white and blue ends....make a cable using any extension cord raw cable.

It's not a speakon,...it's a powercon.
They may look similar, but they are VERY different.
They are different key patterns.
It is absolutely not for carrying a 'speaker signal' from the RCF to another passive speaker.
They are for carrying AC power from one device to another.

Go to Redco and buy the white and blue ends....make a cable using any extension cord raw cable.

i know.

Used a single RCF 10 for the first time on a gig last night..Man, these are killer..huge step up from my FBT maxx2a's as they should be. really like the dispersion of the this monitor as well, i wasn't directly in front of it, to the side and i could hear everything pretty well.

also you guys just leave it in the bag as well? that's really nice just unzip it, open the side, plug in power and cable and done.

Last edited:
Yes, I've done many gigs with my 12's. Always left them in the bag. I've used them for FOH in some smaller places and work quite well. In the last few months I've been using the NX12SMA as monitors and RCF 732A as FOH mains...OMG...talk about being spoiled. The vocals out of the 732's just jump out and clarity is very good.

Used a single RCF 10 for the first time on a gig last night..Man, these are killer..huge step up from my FBT maxx2a's as they should be. really like the dispersion of the this monitor as well, i wasn't directly in front of it, to the side and i could hear everything pretty well.

also you guys just leave it in the bag as well? that's really nice just unzip it, open the side, plug in power and cable and done.

The combination of sound, the compact size, light weight are great, but the leave-on bag is my favorite feature.

Does is come with a bag? if not, which bag do you recommend?

Hi, no you have to buy it separate from RCF..just get the bag that they make. im sure others could make a bag like Studio Slips, but this one from RCF is great..i bought both of mine used and they both came with the bags.

So far i have done a handfull of gigs with two in stereo and they have been killer!. One night let my buddy play through my rig and i could hear it out front, sounded great and the dispersion was really good too, i was surprised. i was standing off to the side of him and could hear everything really well.

Back
Top Bottom