RCF NX-10 SMA reviews

I sure like hearing that. I have 2 NX10s sitting in the foyer of my office right now waiting for me to take them home. If they work as expected, craigginshred will be getting a partner for the NX12 he already loves from me. Love the NX12, but after hearing it, the idea of even smaller and stereo of this quality was irresistible. I'll let folks know what the verdict and sound are and maybe even post a clip once I get it dialed a bit.

Only had the NX-10SMA since tuesday-first practice tonight at volume. Love everything about it so far though. Clean control locations, silent and plenty loud. I usually run a 2x12 from out 2 and a QSCK12 from out1...I had the 2x12 turned down to tweak cabs on the NX, and about an hour later noticed that I never turned it back up. I hate to abuse the standard adjectives used to describe stellar tone, I in the timeless words of Andy Wood..."it's like soup."

Thanks guys, I tried contacting Mike from Audiopyle in December, regarding a NX12, but never heard from him again, that's why I asked here... Then I saw your reports on your NX10's and got interested again :)
It would be nice to have a pair of 10's and one Jaytomic CLR for the wet/dry/wet dream. Now let's wait for the end consumer price on the Jaytomics, and make a decision.
For a monster rig like this, the 10's have the leverage regarding weight, but if the CLR's alleged superiority claims come to be true, that would make it a moot point.
I mean, the reports on the RCF's are great - if it is true Jay's monitors are a lot better, OMG. We'd be in FRFR Heaven!

For a monster rig like this, the 10's have the leverage regarding weight, but if the CLR's alleged superiority claims come to be true, that would make it a moot point.
I mean, the reports on the RCF's are great - if it is true Jay's monitors are a lot better, OMG. We'd be in FRFR Heaven!

I absolutely agree. If Jay's monitors are all they say they are, the idea of one of his in the middle of a W/D/W rig with 2 RCF NX10's seems like a dream big rig. The FRFR world appears to be evolving beautifully to catch up to the glory that the Axe can produce.

Thanks guys, I tried contacting Mike from Audiopyle in December, regarding a NX12, but never heard from him again...
Mike generally responds promptly to email, so if you haven't heard from him (and still want to) try contacting him again.

Nice to know, LMO. Actually after the defective NX12 reports, I decided to step back and wait. But as far as the NX10 reports go, all folks seem to be quite happy, that's what got me interested again - but I'm more interested on the Jaytomic, TBH... Let's see the reports/comparisons once they start shipping.

Newb Question

Newb question....I have the Axe-Fx II coming in the mail and was seriously considering a pair of these 10's. My newb question is if you connect up direct to these speakers (no mixer) how do you adjust the volume on the fly? Do you have to lean down and adjust each speaker, or does the Axe-Fx allow for a quick volume adjustments on the fly? Thanks.

Visual Voodoo said:
Newb question....I have the Axe-Fx II coming in the mail and was seriously considering a pair of these 10's. My newb question is if you connect up direct to these speakers (no mixer) how do you adjust the volume on the fly? Do you have to lean down and adjust each speaker, or does the Axe-Fx allow for a quick volume adjustments on the fly? Thanks.

There are output knobs for both sets of outputs on the front of the Axe. Crank the rcf's and adjust Axe to taste. You can also hook an expression pedal to the Axe and control volume with your foot.

Looks as if the controls on side wouldn't allow for the unit to be upright and axe fx II on top right?

So it's been a few months now...do you ever feel like you're missing anything by not having the 12" version? I'm torn between the two. Not so much because of the price difference...of course I don't want to pay more than I need to, but once I'm up this high, it makes sense to go up to the 12" if that's the right choice. Basically I value small size and light weight, but I don't want to compromise on sound quality too much for it. But the 12" is still quite small and light...it looks from rcf.it that it's the exact same height and depth, only 3.9" longer, and only 4.34 pounds heavier. I'd still take that, and the cost savings, if the 10" isn't likely to leave me with any regrets. But the 12" is still smaller and lighter than its non-coax alternatives.

I had both. 10s fine for me, but if wanted more low end and/or played heavier music, I'd go for 12.

I do play heavier stuff (along with less heavy stuff), and possibly more importantly, I like Chevelle and other bands that tune way down -- C or lower. The 12 may make a difference on that.

I just took my new NX 10-SMA to band practice. I am VERY impressed at how clear and loud it is. As a matter of fact, it was so clear that I was humbled. I definitely need to clean up my playing on a few songs.

Like many of you I was uncertain whether I needed the 12. After playing a few songs tonight in in drop-D, I am no longer worried. In fact, there was too much bass with it on the floor, so I used the bass cut switch. Now I am sure the NX 10-SMA was the right choice for me. Smaller and lighter than the 12 plus slightly cheaper. Eventually I'll end up getting a Matrix or Atomic CLR FRFR as a backline and keep the RCF working as my monitor. Awesome little monitor.

I just took my new NX 10-SMA to band practice. I am VERY impressed at how clear and loud it is. As a matter of fact, it was so clear that I was humbled. I definitely need to clean up my playing on a few songs.

Like many of you I was uncertain whether I needed the 12. After playing a few songs tonight in in drop-D, I am no longer worried. In fact, there was too much bass with it on the floor, so I used the bass cut switch. Now I am sure the NX 10-SMA was the right choice for me. Smaller and lighter than the 12 plus slightly cheaper. Eventually I'll end up getting a Matrix or Atomic CLR FRFR as a backline and keep the RCF working as my monitor. Awesome little monitor.

Drop D I'm not as worried about. But some of the Chevelle stuff is as low as B or even A# (The Clincher). I don't spend much time tuned down that low, but I do it from time to time. Once you're down to B, you're just above 60 Hz, and A# is just below 60. The 12 is rated for a response down to 50, but the 10 only goes to 60. So that sounds like it might make a difference for me.

It will make a difference, but the question is how much. Standard guitar cabs have a severe drop off in frequency response below 100Hz.

Back
Top Bottom