RCF help!

Fabio KTG

Fractal Fanatic
My RCF ART 22-A started "rattling" today, after being in storage for the last 4 months. It hasn't had that much use, so it can't be an amp problem. It started rattling when i "chug" - low frequencies etc.

I've taken it apart and back together, and it's making a distorted sound that isnt there on my clean patch. It's acting really weird

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Definitely a mechanical buzz in there somewhere

Have you tired un-mounting the main speaker, rotating it a couple screw holes and re-seating it..?

I've moved it, but the sound is coming from the speaker itself.

Listen towards the end of the recording.

Check all your Cables make sure they're plugged in all the way, try different cables , is there a battery in your Guitar?

I've checked the XLR coming from the Axe. If you listen to the clip, if it was a cable, it would cut out or would be quite obvious. This sounds like 2 issues. The cone not seating correctly and vibrating and maybe the power amp stage distorting the signal or something like that.

Be dammed if I know.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Yep, I rarely make a rookie mistake like that. I've tried changing XLR cables, both XLR outs in the Axe Fx, changed power cable and power socket and turn the volume on the back of the RCF up and down in case it was dust or something.

RCF were NO help at all. I sent them the clip. They just said

"Hi Fabio,

Thank you for your email.

If your speaker is only a year old then it is still under warranty. If you take it back to PMT Leeds, they will take a look at it for you."

WOW! thanks for the attempt at a diagnosis, and the pleasure of driving 25 miles both ways, when I could be doing more important things.

Seriously bummed right now...

I remember reading about such issues when the RCF's were first becoming popular, but can't remember what the problem was, or the solution ? I know that's not much help . but there are some postings from a while back on the forum talking about this! ( early last year I think?) Might do a search .

Search for RCF rattle ! I ran a quick one and found a couple threads on same issue, One said to make sure you use line level and not mic level!

So, I went to PMT and the RCF performed FLAWLESSLY.....

Talk about being shown up.

Looks like I have a wiring problem or some interference affecting my gear and that was the culprit. I've tested it downstairs and have zero problems, but upstairs in my spare room/studio it's doing it again.

The upside to today's journey was the ENTIRE guitar sales force drooling over my rig and begging to try my Aftermath loaded Custom 24.

Yeah I know......

I'm bad ass.

I've never heard that kind of rattle from a speaker before - in 30 yrs of running PA!
Sounds VERY mechanical.. almost like it might have been over excursed (is there such a word?) and the pole is bouncing off the magnet?

I've never heard that kind of rattle from a speaker before - in 30 yrs of running PA!
Sounds VERY mechanical.. almost like it might have been over excursed (is there such a word?) and the pole is bouncing off the magnet?

I believe the term for that is poking the speaker. Ether way that's what I was getting at but with a pice of the pole or coil suport having broke off and being lodged on the magnet bore.

Been playing this evening and again ZERO issues.

Why can't God go back to giving AIDS to African babies, instead of tormenting me??

Back
Top Bottom