Randy Rhoads - “Flying High Again” - Tone Match

Play it a second time, one on left, one on right speaker. you'll see it will sound spot on. The way it is recorded is not accurate, but the tone is definitely there. Good job.

Play it a second time, one on left, one on right speaker. you'll see it will sound spot on. The way it is recorded is not accurate, but the tone is definitely there. Good job.

Thanks... Funny you say that. I was looking up different ways to cret a doubler effect

Hey, guys, I'm an FX8 user and I'm looking for help on matching the effects used by Randy on Flying high again.
Obviously, I don't need the cab sim and all since I'm running through an amp.
I know its loaded with delay but it also sounds like he is using a phaser maybe?

View attachment 11723

Here it is with a CAB block inserted. I think that may have been the problem? Let me know
I have Power Amp Sims ON and CAB Sims OFF for setting since I use guitar cabs. The preset I originally loaded didn't have a CAB block inserted so I inserted just a 4x12 V30 CAB (change to taste). Hope this helps.

Tried to download. Just joined forum and attachments are gone.

I read an 80s interview with Max Norman, the engineer of Blizzard of Oz. He said that they used an AMS 15-80s rack delay to get his characteristic guitar sound. The AMS 15-80s works like a multi-delay where you can slightly alter the pitches and/or delay time of each separate signal by a few cents or milliseconds each. It was used a lot in the 80s to fatten things up. I believe the "secret" behind this technique as far as Randy's tone was concerned, was to mix a few delays 2-3 ms each along with the original signal back to a single mono signal. You get comb-type notches in certain frequencies. Not sure if this could be simulated in Fractal using a multi-delay or not. It might be worth a try sometime. I'd try it with a JCM 800 preset and a MXR Distortion+ pedal, which is what he was known to use live and in the studio.

Last edited:
here's my Flying High patch, should get you guys very close. Cheers.
Nice work, if you don't mind I will include a converted TMA to CAB block for all of the AX8 users who don't have the Tone match block on their pedal. It does give some extra tweakage option ( Mic, Preamp, Room) to shape the sound. There is also a version for the II XL +. Enjoy

Attachments

• U0941_Flying High Again.syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 32
  • U0941_Flying High Again(AX8).syx
    10.6 KB · Views: 25
here's my Flying High patch, should get you guys very close. Cheers.
Hi Will,
Did you every release your Randy Rhoads DVD or YouTube videos?? Wanted to see if you would be willing to do some Skype Lessons with me? Let me know what you think. I am a HUGE Randy Fan and live very close to his family mausoleum in San Bernardino. I got to meet Ozzy there a few years back on Randy’s bday. Mark

Back
Top Bottom