Randy Rhoads - “Flying High Again” - Tone Match

GuitarMan86

Power User
Hi All,

Ok, here is my 3rd attempt at tone matching. I thought I would take another stab at a Randy Rhoads tone match since the Crazy Train Tone Match came out pretty good. Here is 'Flying High Again' (per request). 8)

The backing track can be found on the internet with vocals and no guitars. I used the isolated guitar tracks found off the internet as well.

I did all the guitars on this and a couple of punches for some of the background fills that you can hear on the album version (including the outro portions). The solo was....lets say....not easy....to pull off like Randy in one take....but I didnt want to spend all night trying to nail this :) (did the whole thing in about an hour).

I have posted the preset and I know some had problems with the other one I posted. If anyone has an issue with this one please let me know, and if anyone is able to explain what I might be doing incorrectly when exporting and/or saving my TM block please instruct me (Im still new at this to hehe).

Enjoy! Hope you like this one also.

View attachment 11726

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what are you listening to this through and at what kind of volumes? It sounds good in the mix you included but I loaded the pre set and it sounds thin and shrill at live volumes (the crazy train was pretty much the same). Just wondering if I am missing something?

Out of curiosity what are you listening to this through and at what kind of volumes? It sounds good in the mix you included but I loaded the pre set and it sounds thin and shrill at live volumes (the crazy train was pretty much the same). Just wondering if I am missing something?

I originally play it live using my matrix 1000 into my GB gflex cabs. I actually used the same re-matched preset from the crazy train preset and did a new TM from there. I saved it 'as is' and exported the preset. When recording this one I played it through my PC monitors and just adjusted the mix. What do you think I may be doing incorrectly when saving the preset?

View attachment 11723

Here it is with a CAB block inserted. I think that may have been the problem? Let me know
I have Power Amp Sims ON and CAB Sims OFF for setting since I use guitar cabs. The preset I originally loaded didn't have a CAB block inserted so I inserted just a 4x12 V30 CAB (change to taste). Hope this helps.

View attachment 11723

Here it is with a CAB block inserted. I think that may have been the problem? Let me know
I have Power Amp Sims ON and CAB Sims OFF for setting since I use guitar cabs. The preset I originally loaded didn't have a CAB block inserted so I inserted just a 4x12 V30 CAB (change to taste). Hope this helps.
Sweet!!! Sounds great;)

Sounds great guitarman! Another winner, this time it loaded right up for me.

I tried my own journey into the world of tone matching but my results were not so good, im not sure I did it right.

Anyway I found a Judas Priest Hellion/Electric eye guitar track online, saved it and then ran it thru audacity into the Axe Fx. I watched the tone matching videos and thought I followed them exact but my tone match didnt sound to good and when I hot 'ENTER' I didnt hear anything. I loaded the Brit800 as my starting preset. I think I heard something after I hit fx/bypass and then I tried to export my tonematch. It offered to save as a CAB at USER bank 01 so I did. I tried to load it through Axe edit but it was gone and not at Cab bank USER 01. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Could you explain your process and the buttons you push from beginning to end when your saving and exporting your preset? And how to get it to load into Axe edit? Thanks!

mc-hammer.gif
... love it!

Sounds great guitarman! Another winner, this time it loaded right up for me.

I tried my own journey into the world of tone matching but my results were not so good, im not sure I did it right.

Anyway I found a Judas Priest Hellion/Electric eye guitar track online, saved it and then ran it thru audacity into the Axe Fx. I watched the tone matching videos and thought I followed them exact but my tone match didnt sound to good and when I hot 'ENTER' I didnt hear anything. I loaded the Brit800 as my starting preset. I think I heard something after I hit fx/bypass and then I tried to export my tonematch. It offered to save as a CAB at USER bank 01 so I did. I tried to load it through Axe edit but it was gone and not at Cab bank USER 01. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Could you explain your process and the buttons you push from beginning to end when your saving and exporting your preset? And how to get it to load into Axe edit? Thanks!

Sure, I can try to assist. I actually just followed the video tutorials I saw posted here and on YouTube. Start a new thread and list out all the steps you are doing so others may also chime in and assist. I will reply and let you know...or message me.

Thanks Guitarman. I'll do that. I tried again and may have had a slight success but I still am not sure if I'm doing it right.

ne quick question,

When I went to save my preset it overwrote the preset I used for my intital matc, the BRIT800. When I loaded it into Axe edit I saw that my TM block was there so I think I saved it correctly but cant I save my new preset without overwriting my ref patch? I deleted my TM block and tried to rename it but it still said BRIT800. Any thoughts?

awesome thanks, this one and crazy train both work now. thanks for one entire preset rather than tm and IR!

Thanks Guitarman. I'll do that. I tried again and may have had a slight success but I still am not sure if I'm doing it right.

ne quick question,

When I went to save my preset it overwrote the preset I used for my intital matc, the BRIT800. When I loaded it into Axe edit I saw that my TM block was there so I think I saved it correctly but cant I save my new preset without overwriting my ref patch? I deleted my TM block and tried to rename it but it still said BRIT800. Any thoughts?

If I understand you correctly....
Saving the preset name in AxeEdit, rename the patch in the window (above the grid) then do a 'save as' otherwise I think it still uses the name of the default preset you started with as a reference?

awesome thanks, this one and crazy train both work now. thanks for one entire preset rather than tm and IR!

Cool! Glad it worked... I literally am still figuring out this beast. Got the Matrix 1000 recently so I am still trying to get everything in order. Setting levels and creating presets etc. when I go direct into the PC and play its easy to capture 'that tone' but when playing through my cabs at live volume levels it's a different story....heh

Cool, thanks. How do you save your preset after you make your tone match? Do I have to overwrite my reference preset or after I make a tone match can I save it as a completely new preset?

Back
Top Bottom