Randomly freezing - loosing output - on Cygnus 4.0

dimitrio

Quite often after update to 4.0 my FM3 unit is freezing, with output signal starting to sound like very low volume slightly distorted DI signal without any effects. At the same time the unit stops reacting to any buttons. Full restart fixes the issue.

Several things I noticed:
  • Freezing was also before upgrading 4.0 but very seldom and the patch sound was at least not affected.
  • Freezing happens more often when I am connected to PC with USB. But still also happens without USB connectivity.
  • CPU is loaded up to about 78-79 %.
  • My main guitar patch is using several Pitch controllers (for gain levels of Delay, Reverb and also one of frequencees gain at PEQ). Maybe this could provoke it to freeze more often.
  • Freezing also happend once on Bass patch, where the overall CPU load is even less (only Amp, Cab, Drive and Compressor).
  • I noticed that freezing tends to happen more often when I adjust things on the fly and don't store preset.
  • The most secure way to avoid freezing is to start device on already existing patch and not do any preset changes. If changes done - restart the device completely.

Quite often after update to 4.0 my FM3 unit is freezing, with output signal starting to sound like very low volume slightly distorted DI signal without any effects. At the same time the unit stops reacting to any buttons. Full restart fixes the issue.
Apologies for the delayed response here. Thank you for the details, those are super helpful. Do you mind providing your main preset and the above referenced bass patch, please? We will take a look as soon as we can.

Edit: Please also include your "System + FC" backup from Fractal-Bot.

Apologies for the delayed response here. Thank you for the details, those are super helpful. Do you mind providing your main preset and the above referenced bass patch, please? We will take a look as soon as we can.

Edit: Please also include your "System + FC" backup from Fractal-Bot.

sure, please find everything attached.

Attachments

• AOC Guitar (Mixer+FRFR).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DECREATE Bass (Ampeg+FrFr).syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
  • FM3-210714-024001-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
Similar problem here. Pre-4.0 preset freezes after a few min. Controls do nothing. Some audio is passing but it sounds like maybe a drive block shut off. I was not operating any pedals or switches at the time it froze.

repeatable - froze about 5 times in one hour.

Similar problem here. Pre-4.0 preset freezes after a few min. Controls do nothing. Some audio is passing but it sounds like maybe a drive block shut off. I was not operating any pedals or switches at the time it froze.

repeatable - froze about 5 times in one hour.
I checked and I'm running about 75% CPU when it hangs.

I'll post preset and config tomorrow.

I'm unable to reproduce the issue thus far. Can you both post everything else you might have connected to the FM3? Midi controllers, etc,...

I'm unable to reproduce the issue thus far. Can you both post everything else you might have connected to the FM3? Midi controllers, etc,...

It happens even with only Guitar In and one XLR out connected. The main trigger for happening in my case - editing any parameters on the fly (e.g. amp block eq settings, noisegate level, delay/mix levels, etc). Sometimes it does not even allow me to edit the value for more then two seconds and immediately freezes. Sometimes it lasts some minutes of tweaking to make it freeze.

I also have magnetic screenguard, but I tested without it (in case it makes any interference) - the issue still happens.
As said the most sure way to freeze - to connect the device via USB and edit settings in FM3 Edit while playing guitar (if muting the guitar at the time of editing - the freezing happens less often). At home I also connect via SPDIF, but as said with XLR is also happening.

My feeling is that this is not directly connected to particular preset, but could be some global software or even hardware (hopefully not) glitch. I had an early version of FM3 - bought in EU (without headphones jack) and I must admit there haven't been a single failure with it. I replaced it some months ago with a Headphone version ordered in US, and within several days already had freezing thing happening (but at that time it was quite seldom, and at least sound was not disappearing, as I described in earliest post). That was prior to Cygnus. With Cygnus it just started happening way too often and not allowing for normal work with the unit. That is why it makes me think of hardware failure, maybe some faulty component in the batch.

@dimitrio I am still unable to reproduce here. If you have not tried "Setup->Utilities->Reset->Reset System Parameters" go ahead and give that a try. If that doesn't work then contact support https://www.fractalaudio.com/getting-help/

my last attempt was to recreate my preset from scratch, and in this new preset with similar functionality I am not getting glitches yet.. I think this is something to do with particular preset slot(s).. don't know why.

After about 90 min my FM3 gives up the ghost. There is no sound, nor can you make settings on the device itself or via the editor.
I had the problem with the FW 4.00, as well as with the current FW 4.01.
Except the time I can not see to reproduce the error again. 2 times it happened to me at home. Here the FM3 always hangs on the Windows PC and open editor. Once when setting on the device itself, once when playing. A third time it happened to me in the rehearsal room. Here the device was only connected to a PA.

Back
Top Bottom