Random question.. GoPro settings whilst recording gigs..??

Georgy

Inspired
Hey Guys,

Scored a GoPro 5 Hero Black recently, and I would like to start using it to record our gigs (even even rehearsals). I recorded a friend's band and I don't think I had the right settings.. I tried selecting 4k but it was jittery and not quite right.. The sound was a bit intermittent too. I put this down to not using the correct or more appropriate settings for the venue and application. I've tried YouTube but there's nothing really specific for recording bands/gigs with.

Just wondering if any of you guys out there actually use a GoPro to record gigs with, and even rehearsals? If so, what settings do you use to capture the best picture and best sound? Any external mics used? We usually play FRFR/direct with our Axe-2's so I imagine the sound will be clean and decent, but just good to know what the best settings would be..?

NOTE, I do have the clamp so that I can attach it to the headstock of the guitar (like Leon @2112 does) but I also wanna be able to set it up on a tripod and record the whole band from a distance, so that it captures the entire stage.

Any advice or setting recommendations welcomed. Apologies moderators.. I put this post in here given that this particular forum probably gets the most visits..

Thanks

Well for one thing, in 4k mode your not getting any sort of stabilization I don't, while the lower rez stuff, like 1080 I believe you can have a stabilization active. That may help steady the picture some, but its certainly not going to replace a solid tripod, or gimbal head etc

Second, the GoPro audio is pretty poor at best, and certainly not going to handle loud instruments without the typical crappy live recording sound you hear on Youtube where the bass is all distorted etc. There is no input for auxiliary audio into a GoPro either

Third thing, is frankly, GoPro video is kind of boring and gimmicky 99% of the time. If your doing backflips off a motorcycle its cool, but otherwise its just so wide and there is no real central subject to the footage, just everything, and on something like a headstock its going to look cool for 30 seconds, but no way would I want to watch that footage for longer than that. Its going to be jerky, facing who knows what most the time etc.

Last and not least, the GoPro with its tiny imaging sensor is quite poor in low light, so not a great choice for quality footage at most venues

What I would look for is a dedicated video camera with auxiliary audio inputs, or a mirrorless/compact camera with a good video spec. They are going to have a much larger sensor which lets in more light, a more useful range of focal lengths, especially if you get an interchangeable lens option, Panasonic micro-four thirds cameras like the G85 would be great options, and typically input for external audio.

I have a Sony RX10 IV myself, which shoots 4k video, can do 120fps slow motion at 1080, has a 1" sensor for decent lower light performance (though no where near as good as a DSLR) and 1/8" stereo audio input and headphone jacks for monitoring. It also has very fast phase detect AF which works great on moving subjects

Long story short, if you want quality footage and audio, GoPro is not the tool to use.

At best, I would buy an external audio recorder, or even attach an external mic to your phone, record audio on that, and then sync the audio track with the GoPro footage. Only way your going to get good sound out of the thing

Basically I agree with the above.
I have a GoPro 5 and a dedicated video camera. I was hoping for better results from the GoPro 5, yet the video camera on a tripod wins EVERY time. Meaning for any length of time, the video camera will be easier to watch. A whole GoPro video can be a bit much.
That said, the GoPro can be fun to mix in with other video and audio to spice things up.

When we record shows we always sync up a "better" audio recording (board recording or some additional recorder) with any video or GoPro footage. Again, if you pop the GoPro stuff in for 10 seconds or so, it can add something cool that a "regular" video camera doesn't do, so it definitely has its uses.
For us, we are often looking for promo material...so that isn't a 45 min set. It's more like 4 min.
If I'm recording for critique purposes, then the video camera will still capture a "better" view and usually better sound clip as well.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom