Random Guitar Player List

One of my earliest influences is Akira Takasaki. He had unique tapping skills, some neoclassical stuff before Yngwie. His solo album Tusk of Jaguar was a huge inspiration and had some fusion elements. Also worth checking out is their album Disillusion, which was their first lbum to feature any English lyrics

This is the track Macula from Tusk. I felt it had a real Brian May vibe and really evoked a feeling of being in flight/space

This is more recent material performed live..

Amazing that we never hear of stuff like this - real music. Including in site database with "high originality rating" of site founders (site visitors will contribute to a mass rating but I think I need to have an initial rating to go by, so what you guys suggest will be skewed in favor of the fact that Fractal Forum is a highly guitar-intelligent site).

Adrian Vandenburg (1984):

Brad Gillis (already on list):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEq7zV6I4JQ

Last edited:
Gabriela Quintero & Rodrigo Sánchez
(Rodrigo Y Gabriela)
..(with Robert Trujillo [bass] & Shenkar [violin])

Jazz Festival:

Last edited:
Nathan Marchack
(See from 00:50 [Past the scratches] Psychedelic/technical/ambient guitar; please share other similar performances & guitar players..)

The above is an improvisation over the beautiful work of guitarist Simon Posford aka Hallucinogen:
Younger Brother/Shpongle)

Last edited:
Almost totally off my own topic but I'm beginning to think about how to let site contributors explore anecdotal, possibly conflicting and overly detailed information about compositional contributing: On that note, does anyone know if Geezer Butler wrote any of the quintessential Sabbath riffs (not just the lyrics), or was it all Tony Iommi?

And to what extent did Geezer Butler borrow from what Ozzy initially sang:

"Butler wrote most of the song lyrics by borrowing phrases from Ozzy's stream-of-consciousness vocal melodies and fleshing them out. Ozzy did very little writing until he left the band."

Hmm, maybe not an intentional stacking of the deck against the bass player's contributions and I'm honestly grateful that lawyers didn't prevent the whole Sabbath thing from occurring in the first place by making it untenable. But I would be curious to know what stream-of-consciousness stuff was there, and what was mostly or entirely Geezers.

So like, Generals gathering the masses, was that Ozzy's phrase?

"You know that Geezer, he was always slipping away with Ozzy's strangely and astonishingly coherent, gurgles & burbles and kinda fleshing them out a tiny bit." Fascinating skimpy crediting process.

Maybe this is why the classic Chemistry bands (perhaps Zep, Who, Stones, Beatles) are often unequaled by individual member efforts.

Similar to Court of the Crimson king being more or less Pete Sinfield's Donovan-esque strumming song, like C, G, D strumming, and turned, by keyboardist Ian McDonald, using guitar as a composition tool, into the dark work on the album essentially by the keyboardist. Yet, Sinfield had the vision to make a progressive rock/jazz/classical inspired production...

Ian McDonald:
(keyboardist, used guitar to write the music for Court of the Crimson King..)

Last edited:
New version Randy Hansen did of one of my all time fav Hendrix tunes. He's got a few versions and he seems fluidly able to improvise while keeping to the BRILLIANT Hendrix "laid back" moments and time pushes and such. (I'm studying Indian music. Could be that Hendrix's "ornaments" have relevance and sources of information that might be split among the African and Indian continents. By being harder to pin on simple ethnicity, Hendrix encapsulated both blues and futurism).

Is there any version of this tune that captures the precise approach and spirit of Hendrix more than Randy's?

Ana and Dweezil put out a really fine, smokin' original version though.

Last edited:
Tobias Rauscher:

Andy Wahlberg:

(On harp guitar)
Makes a nice tutorial for playing some of the parts solo on electric. Get's through it, and for the love of God, please let him make faces while he plays.

Pat Metheny:
(on an unusual instrument)
Didn't have a vid for Pat yet. Still looking.

Tommy Emanual:
(His take on fast blues)
Some nice tutorial elements if you have a quick eye.
Okay, pretty ridiculous, if you're tired of learning, don't just give up on this man's guitar disappointments.

Ben Lapps:

Last edited:
Greg Howe:

His current band Maragold:

My first exposure to him with Howe II including his brother Al on vocals:

Love this band! Their album does not have one song that does not fit together perfectly. Greg is one of my favorites and Megan's voice is incredible. Easily my favorite female vocalist! I believe it was you in previous thread about music who recommended me checking them out because I did not know Greg had a new band.

Love this band! Their album does not have one song that does not fit together perfectly. Greg is one of my favorites and Megan's voice is incredible. Easily my favorite female vocalist! I believe it was you in previous thread about music who recommended me checking them out because I did not know Greg had a new band.
Yeah... Pretty sure that was me:cool:

A few more acoustic players, this time from good old Candyrat.

Antoine Dufour:

Eva Atmatzidou:

Davide Sgorlon:

These are quite nice acoustic players, none of which I knew of before (although I seem to recall the label from somewhere). They also inspire me to share one acoustic video of a piece I wrote with my very talented band mate, Greg Katona, a few years ago:

Although our technique is a bit more on the traditional side, this piece is actually pretty difficult to perform--however our primary focus was the composition itself. The video quality isn't professional and the audio hadn't been mastered yet, but I sincerely hope that you enjoy the clip--and that you don't mind my offering up one humble submission where I'm featured.

All the best,

Alan

These are quite nice acoustic players, none of which I knew of before (although I seem to recall the label from somewhere). They also inspire me to share one acoustic video of a piece I wrote with my very talented band mate, Greg Katona, a few years ago:

Although our technique is a bit more on the traditional side, this piece is actually pretty difficult to perform--however our primary focus was the composition itself. The video quality isn't professional and the audio hadn't been mastered yet, but I sincerely hope that you enjoy the clip--and that you don't mind my offering up one humble submission where I'm featured.

All the best,

Alan

Your piece reminds me of the solo work of Steve Hackett, in a very good way I might add (a bit of Howe too). Progressive musical sensibility and not just complexity. I highly laud you for both your composition and execution (although I hope no fingers were injured in real life...Its difficult for me to tell from the audio, but that type of playing on regular gauge steel strings is hard enough. What gauge did you use?) Thank you again for sharing.

Here's a fusion guy, perhaps you may know him; here he has creatively homaged some guys, see what you think:
Antonis Vogiatzoglou:

(On Moore though a basic cover; I wish he would have chosen a live versions though).

Last edited:
Miguel Montalban
(Queen Bohemian Rhapsody HD Miguel Montalban busking street performance: Outstanding mixture of influences, with steady focus and audibly intense emotional connection - IMHO :-D )

Last edited:
Can you make me a tremolo bar set up that allows this on guitar (without much difficulty): I imagine that it should be possible with a floyd rose, but maybe a gear setup, like 2-3 gear choices for allowing/removing resistance. Hendrix once wrote: Strange, beautiful, with your mysterious classical Indian, with her gamaks, katkas murki and meends, but surf music I do not understand....So...

(combined meend, gamak, katka, murki)

Oh, I forgot, I'm not a classical Indian musician.. This is completely out of place.

Wait! So the F what.

Last edited:
Tal Wilkenfeld:
[song at 01:33]

(Bass guitar is still guitar; actually, right now my databasing ideas are just forming; With well more than 700 non-bass guitar players already (including slide), I may as well start including some bass players, strictly pedal steel players, etc; Otherwise I would forget them and be like, what was that name (not saying in Tal's case necessarily [I absolutely love her songwriting - ex. her album Transformation], but you know what I mean). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_(Tal_Wilkenfeld_album)#/media/File:Tal_Wilkenfeld_-_2007_-_Transformation.jpg

Last edited:
Mikhal Caldwell (Rest In Peace)
[solo 05:40] [I hope he is already playing an Axe FX Mark V or VII where he is]

(Try to ignore the poor audio)

I couldn't include this John McLaughlin performance because of forum limitations but its pretty interesting:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom