Random Guitar Player List

I saw Tim Pierce was listed on the master as a guitar instructor. He has good instructional videos out, but he's left his biggest mark as a session player. He's not real well known, but very much heard. Aside from lot of work with Rick Springfield, it's him you hear throughout the Toy Matinee album, much of the Crowded House stuff, and literally thousands of bits and pieces of many different styles over the past 25+ years. His list of credits is here:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/tim-pierce-mn0000593316/credits

Ironically, his first guitar teacher nearly gave up on him. He just didn't seem to have the knack for music. Then one summer he took a break from lessons and came back blazing. Something "clicked" and he got it. He was a natural after that. (He was an acquaintance of mine...we played in competing local bands back in the late '70s. Our band was just starting out, and he was about ready to leave the local scene and head to LA to join the big leagues. I eventually taught lessons at the same studio his original teacher taught at, which is where I heard the story.)

Matt Jalbert of Tauk

Gotta say I love the drummer on this one. Yes, I realize the bass and keys are also great. But if you tune everything out and just hear the drums, wow. Stands on its own as completely authentic both as composing and performing. Incredible.

Last edited:

Matt Jalbert of Tauk

Gotta say I love the drummer on this one. Yes, I realize the bass and keys are also great. But if you tune everything out and just hear the drums, wow. Stands on its own as completely authentic both as composing and performing. Incredible.

I've never heard of them before today, but now seen the name in two unrelated threads.

I agree that the drummer was the standout. The guitar was a bit low in the mix, IMO.

Need to listen to more... Any recommended albums?

I've never heard of them before today, but now seen the name in two unrelated threads.

I agree that the drummer was the standout. The guitar was a bit low in the mix, IMO.

Need to listen to more... Any recommended albums?
I'm same as you - just got turned onto it from the FW 8.0 Beta thread, and although I liked the writing style of what I was hearing, until I heard that Live Performance of "Collateral" I didn't understand that this is music best experienced Live, when the band is warmed up and "on time". Its an interesting phenomena, musicians and groove time. Some bands manage to have both a tighness on stage and also a tighness with their studio compositions. But groove music in other cases can be extremely delicate, and the band will sometimes manage things they mainly reproduce on stage. I've got a friend who's in a phenomenal "Groove Band" that is really best heard live. He's inspired by FIsh. So is Matt here. If I were a player in such a band, I would gel better in a live setting, and that's what I tend to think is happening here. So I'll be ooking into their Live album.

This is another great track:

Last edited:
Kind of skimmed through but I don't think I saw anyone mention Plini. Buddy of mine was on a show with him and intervals. No idea who he was before the show. Kid blew me away, and couldn't have been nicer.

I thought I put this guy in here, but did a search and nothing came up, so here he is again, a Brazilian guitar wonder who about 50% defys technical genre restrictions (know any guitarist that covers wider range on virtuoso techniques?):

Fernando Miyata

Anyone who attempts this and plays the end gets a place on this thread, :)

Ugur Dariveren..

Anyone who even attempts a Shawn Lane piece gets my highest respect. Amazing to even try it. As was said in the comments, he does resort a bit to two-handed approaches for some bits. And skip other bits probably. But the amount of music-memory to groove to it is what impresses me here by this person I've never heard of until now.

Alessandro Massa

Justin Liew

Ogdan Mihailescu

Marc Meesters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnVvuzFNqGs

Simone Magioncalda

Oops, how'd he get in here? Jason Becker is also one of my favorites

Last edited:

Ryogen

(Why does my acoustic sound nothing like this?)

RIP

(Apparently this young man shaved/tattooed himself during a battle with cancer, and passed away a month or two ago. - A shame we can't spend more time with him and his creative passion. )

Last edited:

I apologize if the numbers are not right below. Let me know if so and I'll fix them.

1)
Name:
Uruha

Band: Gazette
Song: Shunsetsu No Koro

2)
Name:
Kaoru

Band: Dir En Grey
Song: Raison D'Etre

3)
Name: