Random Guitar Player List

Joey Hoekstra

Chris Green

I heard of Chris Green from a 2017 Rick Beato video on the mixing of Chris's album and his playing was impressively clean and basically Rick said his soloed guitar takes were mistake free. All I know is sweeping like that looks difficult to pull off live - - although an obligatory "showy" solo its not probably a good example of this guys writing talents, its all that's on youtube aside from the Rick Beato vid.

Last edited:

VERY OLD SONG, DID NOT SEE BEFORE.

nice mattias Eklund solo at 01:40

But the birdie edit at 2:56 was perfect. The humor of freak kitchen is dark, the solos are odd. From Daniel Lanois pedal steel to the scary dreamlike qualities of Mattias and his bandmates. Now I want to see the two bands share a stage.

fava beans and a nice chianti:

Last edited:

I'm amazed at how different thousands of talented guitarists can be. One thing about Paul is that he doesn't seem to like to hide his level of accuracy behind a wash of reverb. And he doesn't seem to be trying to impress with his moves. There's a finesse of dynamics, and choice ideas, while he places clean bursts of speed between syncopated silences that makes them part guitar solo and part percussion solo.

Last edited:

Chit San Maung

I was actually thinking this guy is really expressive and having a great time. I read some detractors on the youtube comments, and someone mentioned Chris Duarte, who is a very great player (video a few posts below). Now I'm not sure what the 2 styles have to do with one another. Playing in what I might call 'heavy blues/with a few jazz undertones' vein vs the hard & world music vibe of Chit San Maung is so totally different. Chit has a lot of nuance and mixture and rhythmic uniqueness. The guy plays some hard rock cliches, and some early piano music on guitar - so its bad? It reminds me of people who appreciate either Eric Johnson or Ritchie Blackmore but not both; saying the one they don't like is emotionless or lacking expression. Yes, they play fast and play chops, arguably Eric Johnson's are harder to perfect, but the nuances of their playing is enjoyed by their fans, and can be difficult to reproduce properly. Although I love Steve Morse, I'm not particularly fond of his renditions of the early Deep Purple - because I heard Deep Purple at a very impressionable time - on some very incredible Hi Fi equipment. But I recognize my own bias. Can you see the irony of saying that either Eric Johnson or Ritchie Blackmore lack feeling? Musical styles can take acquiring the taste - and although we think of our technologies as giving us free time - we may use it too often to wind ourselves up more, instead of learning by unwinding.

Last edited:

I'm amazed at how different thousands of talented guitarists can be. One thing about Paul is that he doesn't seem to like to hide his level of accuracy behind a wash of reverb. And he doesn't seem to be trying to impress with his moves. There's a finesse of dynamics, and choice ideas, while he places clean bursts of speed between syncopated silences that makes them part guitar solo and part percussion solo.

Paul Gilbert is great. He continues to evolve his style too...

Yamato Mori

No slouch. As the comments were saying, probably not his rig, probably he's used to having different sustain/gain and it would be hard to pull off a performance of complicated material under those circumstances (if it is a rig that was given to him when he arrived - here you can play thru this.)

Last edited:

To follow up on this - Bukovac is playing with actual vibrato, and its exceptionally noticeable. (As opposed to what gets called "vibrato", but where the player isn't listening to the effect. And the player isn't controlling their speed/depth based on feeling. IOW one gets taught that vibrato is wavering the pitch at the same rate and depth; the simplest vibrato conceptually - and so one does it, choosing the nuanced path of one's pitch without feeling, like making turns while mowing a lawn or something.) Fact: the subtleties of vibrato determine how the melody feels - caring, or stiff and forced if done without care. Gary Moore and Jeff Beck can have very controlled vibrato and pitch bend, but have their own voices.

[solo 02:45]

Because vibrato is sometimes just used at the tails of melody notes (after a bit of holding the note) it can sound like a formulaic thing. But its not, if you listen carefully, even to Gary Moore. IMHO he is choosing when, how much depth, and even the rate in an expressive way, not an empty way. I'm glad there are teachers who do a good job exemplifying this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom