Bug? Random Autoengage w/ pedal as source

Bakerman

Axe-Master
The Axe 1 would ignore 5% movement in either direction before allowing an external controller to take over, whether block state via auto-engage or any parameter using PC RST. The Axe II (FW 10.00) only does this for PC RST. This causes a pedal parked in the "on" zone to randomly autoengage blocks after switching to a preset. This happens invariably with the Axe pedal port (usually within 2-5 seconds, tried with 2 different pedals & cables) and any change in value via CC.

1. Set EXT CTRL 1 to "PEDAL" in the I/O menu.

2. Move the pedal to 100% (toe down).

3. Switch to a preset like 59 Bassguy or anything w/ similar auto-engage settings on something.

The wah randomly auto-engages after that here. (Pedal is a Roland EV-5.) This only seems to occur for pedal positions above 90% or so. It also happens with the EXT CTRL set up as a MIDI CC if the value changes by 1, for example 127 to 126, or with EXT CTRL = PEDAL and nothing connected to the pedal port (read as 100% by Axe).

Some pedals might calibrate in a way that lets the pedal reach 100% before the toe is fully down, and this doesn't seem to happen then with the pedal at toe down. It still happens with pedal between 90-100% though.

I have the same problem, my pedal is a DIY, it work very well but the auto-engane don't work perfectly.
When i set the Wahwah, the effet switch on when i move the pedal (normal) but it randomly auto-switch off, sometime yes, sometime no.
If i don't connect the pedal, the effet is always on and if i switch "by-pass effect", one second after it go on :|

Last edited:
Nobody has the same problem with the auto-engage?
I try lot of things without succes :ambivalence:

same here! Using an external for WAH. I haven't changed anything since when i upgraded to 10 but the autoengage activates extremely late, 1/3 of the pedalmovement happens nothing but the external movement is shown on the axe.

Still happening as described w/ 10.05, but I noticed that enabling PC RST prevents it. Maybe this isn't a bug, just something to be aware of. It's different from the Axe 1, which ignores 5% movement before auto-engage regardless of PC RST setting.

So, I resolved my problem by raising the value "OFF VAL" (under auto engage) up to 20%, for now it work.

I'm seeing the same issue with any off value from 5.0% to 49.9%. Can this be fixed?

The PC RST solution doesn't cover every possible scenario, like using a wah with auto-engage, leaving the pedal forward (wah on) and switching to a scene with wah off. The wah will randomly switch back on if the pedal reading fluctuates.

Here's a CC-based example:

1. Set Ext Ctrl 1 to a CC and send a 127 value for that CC. Any value above the "on" threshold works for this test.

2. Switch to any factory preset with an auto-engage wah.

3. Send a 126 value for Ext Ctrl 1. The wah engages.

The Axe PEDAL port seems to use a resolution of 1024 steps. When I set the pedal to also control a synth voice w/ steep slope from 90-100% it can be heard rapidly jumping around among 2 or 3 adjacent values. The wah eventually engages every time.

Another question: Is the statement below supposed to be true for any source? I'm not seeing it using a CC. Regardless of how slowly the value is incremented from 0, the wah always turns on at 26. For Ext Ctrl 1 = PEDAL it will ignore very slow movement, but for some reason (here at least with 2 EV-5s and a DIY control knob) always turns on once the source is above 90% or so.

"It is speed based. 5% is the value it will shut off at. It will turn on when it detects the pedal has been moved faster than a certain velocity. This prevents the effect from engaging if the pedal slowly droops."

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ngages-cc-value-28-instead-5%.html#post597059

I had something similar happening with my two misison pedals used with Auto-Engage until I found a crucial setting in the MFC about Pedal Polling. By default from factory it was off...

From Yek's WIKI
How to connect, calibrate and configure an expression pedal

Under MFC Menu : Edit > MIDI
Use the Beginning Value parameter (Edit > Midi) to define the state of the pedal after switching presets. "PDL" means that the position of the pedal is polled and recalled, "Off" means that the pedal is off until moved, or you can select a specific value between 0 and 127.

With Autoengage, I found it is crucial the above setting in the MFC is set to "PDL" so the Axe polls the state of the pedal, and initializes the interactions.

Maybe this is your issue? For me it was.

HTH.

It's not that, it's something that can be a problem with the Axe pedal port or any controller that flickers between a couple CC values. To state it another way, point 2 stated by Cliff here is a fairly good idea, but it isn't being applied to auto-engage: PC RST: controller reset - Axe-Fx II Wiki

The 1st generation Axe-FX does this fine, ignoring 5% (or close to it) of the controller's range before the block auto-engages.

1. Set EXT CTRL 1 to "PEDAL" in the I/O menu.

2. Move the pedal to 100% (toe down).

3. Switch to a preset like 59 Bassguy or anything w/ similar auto-engage settings on something.

The wah randomly auto-engages after that here. (Pedal is a Roland EV-5.) This only seems to occur for pedal positions above 90% or so.

I had this happen the other day also. Factory presets (first couple) with a a Roland EV-5 plugged into the pedal jack on the back. Toe down. Ver 10.10.

Can any of this be given a closer look? If not the random auto-engage, the stated ignoring of slow enough movement e.g. from a drooping pedal? This doesn't work with CCs, as described above. It only works with very slow movement at the Axe pedal port. A guess is that something in the code is off, so the higher-resolution pedal port can be read moving slowly enough, but 1 CC value is enough to engage.

If the pedal port reading jumping rapidly among 2-3 adjacent values counts as speed in the same way moving that number of values in a single direction would be counted, that would also explain what I'm encountering with it. The value is noisier in the top 10% or so of the pedal range, and that's where the unwanted auto-engage occurs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom