Randall RF8

biffrov

Hi everyone! I have never used a midi controller in my life so I'm a real noob at this. But anyways.

I'm looking for a small, clean, simple midi controller for the Axe FX II XL.

I would like to be able to switch between like 6 different presets quick and easy, it's for live use obviously. I don't need to turn effects on and off, but it would be cool if I could tap tempo delay effects etc. I know a lot of people use the Behringer FB1010. It's way too big for my taste, but it's in my budget.

Then I found the Randall RF8 (RF8 | Randall Amplifiers | Guitar Amplifiers, cabinets, and more). It's clean, decent size. But will it even work?

Have googled my ass off but haven't found anything reliable. Cool if you guys had some answers! :)

John

That should work if they call it 'universal'. Although I'm guessing it's either 8 presets or 4 presets + 4 controllers (ie tap tempo). Will check the manual closer later today. I can present the possibilities it offers...

The RF8 seems to have quite a neat way of "programming" it using physical switches - take a look at this picture: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ETF7M36CL._SL1500_.jpg

Looks to me like you can assign a group of switches where only one is ever "on" (for preset/scene switching etc) and then have the remainder as "stomps", i.e. press for on, press again for off. Also you can make the "grouped" switches send PC instead of CC, according to the manual (http://www.randallamplifiers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/RF8-User’s-Manual_rev1.pdf)

So you'd probably want to set it so the first six switches were grouped to send PC, so you could use them to choose which preset you were on, and then have the remaining two switches ungrouped and sending CC, for tap tempo or engaging effects if you ever decided you *do* need to.

Sounds like it's perfect for you :)

^^^

Yup, just checked the manual myself. And I agree 100%. If you´re fine with 6 presets, 1 switch for tap tempo and perhaps the last one for tuner or something, this will work. Strange that they just write: "Continuous control assignable and groupable for buttons 5-8". When it, in fact seems even more versatile than that. I think you´ll even be able to provide the power to it, thru the power jack on the back of the AxeII (which, IIRC, feeds pins 6 & 7). Just use an 7pin MIDI cable instead of a 5pin MIDI cable.

Sounds awesome! Thanks a lot, really helpful!

Haven't seen anyone use the RF8 with the Axe Fx yet, I will probably buy one in the near future. Maybe I'll do a video review on it or something :)

I know this is 3 years late but did you end up getting the Randall RF8? I plan on using one with my axe fx ultra and just wanted to know how it worked.

Thread is a bit old, but does anyone have one of these? Looking to maybe grab one and use with my FM3 until I can pick up an FC6 or FC12

Back
Top Bottom