Ran my Axe III in stereo last night for the first time

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Last night at our gig I ran the axe fx stereo for my in ears only. Wow did that make a huge difference. Just having the stereo effects and the added space really gave me that big guitar tone I’ve been missing ever since moving to in ears. I still ran mono to FOH but I’m extremely happy with my in ear tone now.

I’m curious, does anyone else run theirs in stereo as well and if so do they run a second guitar in stereo? I’m wondering if running my other guitarists axe in stereo would cause a lot of clashing between both of our guitars in our ears. Normally when in mono I would try and pan our guitars slightly away from each other to create some space.

The better the mix , the better we play. My live mix is too busy to run my guitar in stereo - live , with my IEMs , but if you can do it and it sounds better , do it !
My - 2 cents.
My III sounds great in stereo in the studio !

We do... It can be challenging to get a good mix.

I like to pan the other guitarist a little wider than my guitar.

I just checked my mixer settings and I'm panned about 65% L/R, the other guitarist is at 78%.

Effects are (mostly) used in moderation...

I run all in stereo, but reduce the width of each - IE, rather than L & R panned hard left and right, I reduce the 'width' of each stereo send to ensure that each guitar has a defined width in the mix. I should add that this is in the studio monitoring. In a live context, the venue would dictate how successful that strategy would be for all punters in the room!
Thanks
Pauly

i pan my guitar full left right and pan any other stereo things less wide, opposite of what others mentioned. i prefer knowing my sound is the full width.

remember, just because you're "in stereo" doesn't mean you can't produce a mono sound as well. just make a mono sound and boom, you're smack in the middle.

We settled for a special stereo choice in our band :
-I'm using stereo enhanced all the time, and do rythm+melodies+solos
-The singer's guitar is mono dead center and he plays strict rythm and sometimes even nothing
This way, when we are in a pure rythm moment it sounds big, when one of us is alone it sounds good, and when we are not playing the same thing (50% of the time) it sounds good everywhere.

We do not want to pan guitars L/R to avoid having a side full of rythm or nothing and one full of leads.

I guess in the end it's some kind of enhanced mono tho (except some modulations)

I use stereo a lot live. I pan the cab block (2 different cabs) only slightly though, just to give a slightly different flavour from one side of the room to the other (only 20% pan). But some effects I tend to go full left and right (stereo delays, certain chorus etc). That said, I also use mono delays, so it really all depends on what sound I'm after. I just love having the ability to do what I like tho.

I have mine panned hard L/R, but I'm the only guitar player in the bad so there's plenty of sonic space to occupy. For the FOH and monitor mix (Output 1) I use the Enhancer to widen it even more. I don't use the enhancer on Output 2, which feeds my amp & guitar cab. That is still in Stereo though.

I send stereo, our other guitarist uses an amp, so he goes mono. I usually play lead, so I really just use the stereo thing for delays, and a little bit of reverb/shimmer when needed. I try not to go overboard with it.

Last night at our gig I ran the axe fx stereo for my in ears only. Wow did that make a huge difference. Just having the stereo effects and the added space really gave me that big guitar tone I’ve been missing ever since moving to in ears. I still ran mono to FOH but I’m extremely happy with my in ear tone now.

I’m curious, does anyone else run theirs in stereo as well and if so do they run a second guitar in stereo? I’m wondering if running my other guitarists axe in stereo would cause a lot of clashing between both of our guitars in our ears. Normally when in mono I would try and pan our guitars slightly away from each other to create some space.

I have ran stereo since the 80s, and be lost doing it any other way. A world of difference.

Back
Top Bottom