Rammstein and Machine Head presets?

Ok. The pantera filled ones I am interested in first. Do you know if Dimebag used cabs made of MDF? For some reason the sound tells me that it might just be that type of cab. Not that it's a bad thing. He did have a unique sound. Many amps can be tweaked to have a variety of sounds, but without knowing the exact cabs these people used on various records, it is very hard to match those tones exact.
For pantera it’s more difficult because most of his gear isn’t in the axe . every album got a different tone . I choose the far beyond driven one cause it’s my favorite, but less scooped . He records many layers , 8 just for rythm if I remember an interview from Steve vai, who was impressed by that. he was able to do 8 tracks just for rythm that were played very tightly . If you really want to copy the tone at 100% you need to do tonematch . Personably I have tried tone matching but the tone was too much caricatural. So I prefer staying in the ball park of the record. And at every update the tone change, so you need to redo everything etc … you never really know at 100% the gear used in the studio. And They eq the tracks…the mastering… they are many parameters . In the end by ears it’s the better way. You found a tone that fits well with the record and it’s ok. The 100% is another story. Quite impossible . Mimic a quad track etc well .. but being close it’s good enough to me. The far beyond driven sound pretty like a metal zone in a solid state amp 😅

For pantera it’s more difficult because most of his gear isn’t in the axe . every album got a different tone . I choose the far beyond driven one cause it’s my favorite, but less scooped . He records many layers , 8 just for rythm if I remember an interview from Steve vai, who was impressed by that. he was able to do 8 tracks just for rythm that were played very tightly . If you really want to copy the tone at 100% you need to do tonematch . Personably I have tried tone matching but the tone was too much caricatural. So I prefer staying in the ball park of the record. And at every update the tone change, so you need to redo everything etc … you never really know at 100% the gear used in the studio. And They eq the tracks…the mastering… they are many parameters . In the end by ears it’s the better way. You found a tone that fits well with the record and it’s ok. The 100% is another story. Quite impossible . Mimic a quad track etc well .. but being close it’s good enough to me. The far beyond driven sound pretty like a metal zone in a solid state amp 😅
Ok just the one thing I know you didn't cover was the very unique harmonizer sound in the first part of the solo to Strength beyond Strength. That sound is insane and it's very hard to know what he is doing with that preset.

8 layers is nuts. I wonder if if multi-miked or each take with one different mic/position

Ok just the one thing I know you didn't cover was the very unique harmonizer sound in the first part of the solo to Strength beyond Strength. That sound is insane and it's very hard to know what he is doing with that preset.

8 layers is nuts. I wonder if if multi-miked or each take with one different mic/position
Yeah one guy said that its Whammy (plus added processing) but its also 4 guitars overdubbed with whammy on 2 (playing the high harmonies), chorus/octave whammy on 1 and one main lead guitar. 🤷
It can also not be an harmonizer but another guitar…. Who knows … studio work.

So on Machine Head, apparently the 5150s they used were all heavily modded. Confirmed with various sources and I guess the word of Ola.
On most records. The ones of interest anyways.

Makes sense because their 5150s sound whey whey different than stock 5150s. Even less edgy bite too in just he right way. Personally stock 5150s and the various peaveys towards that sound all had too much biting type of gain for my liking. But whatever they did to those 5150s hit the spot exact. Very big sound without trying to be big. But that's a given when someone talks anything Machine head in all Machine Head departments.

Will have to pla around with some peavey models some more. That's a very tough sound to get right and match.

Last edited:
So on Machine Head, apparently the 5150s they used were all heavily modded. Confirmed with various sources and I guess the word of Ola.
On most records. The ones of interest anyways.

Makes sense because their 5150s sound whey whey different than stock 5150s. Even less edgy bite too in just he right way. Personally stock 5150s and the various peaveys towards that sound all had too much biting type of gain for my liking. But whatever they did to those 5150s hit the spot exact. Very big sound without trying to be big. But that's a given when someone talks anything Machine head in all Machine Head departments.

Will have to pla around with some peavey models some more. That's a very tough sound to get right and match.
From what Peavey says, the difference in those old 5150s compared to later models is in the transformer. Their supplier changed the specs on them without letting anybody know, and that's what led to the whole "block letter 5150s sound way different" (also the stock tubes changed when they switched to the signature version).

I think Rob's stated that Bubba wasn't actually modded, it's just a magical head with just the right combination of components that get him his sound. But I could be wrong 🤔

From what Peavey says, the difference in those old 5150s compared to later models is in the transformer. Their supplier changed the specs on them without letting anybody know, and that's what led to the whole "block letter 5150s sound way different" (also the stock tubes changed when they switched to the signature version).

I think Rob's stated that Bubba wasn't actually modded, it's just a magical head with just the right combination of components that get him his sound. But I could be wrong 🤔
I think what you are referring to is more power amp. But I mean more preamp. Seems like a very different sound to me than all other 5150s I've heard from any year. But who knows maybe they knew some different way to dial it in than the usual run of the mill everybody who used them who all sounded the same.

I don't think he octotracked. Dime actually said he quadtracking isn't tight enough for him.

Dime from 94' Guitar World Interview: "It’s pretty much just doubled guitars panned to about three o’clock and nine o’clock. Some of the tracks are hard left and right with a triple up the center. That’s as thick as it got."

More info: "My guitar was routed through three Randall amps which were recorded simultaneously on each track – three amps mixed down to one track...one stack was effected with my MXR flanger, for a kind of hollow sound; another stack was just straight up and dry, and the third was set similar to the dry stack except that it had a little more gain. Separately, one sounded horrible, one sounded great and the other sounded bassy; but together they sounded incredible.”

Hope this helped

I don't think he octotracked. Dime actually said he quadtracking isn't tight enough for him.

Dime from 94' Guitar World Interview: "It’s pretty much just doubled guitars panned to about three o’clock and nine o’clock. Some of the tracks are hard left and right with a triple up the center. That’s as thick as it got."

More info: "My guitar was routed through three Randall amps which were recorded simultaneously on each track – three amps mixed down to one track...one stack was effected with my MXR flanger, for a kind of hollow sound; another stack was just straight up and dry, and the third was set similar to the dry stack except that it had a little more gain. Separately, one sounded horrible, one sounded great and the other sounded bassy; but together they sounded incredible.”

Hope this helped
Can be yes, maybe Vai was wrong who knows . As ever, in all these famous recordings from whatever bands, there is always a part of mystery. The only real proof is to have the recording guy showing the track on console in a video like they do for the Sex Pistols or the nevermind( but we still don’t know a lot of things in nevermind, like what guitar he use for smells, just an example) but the rest …there is a lot of speculation about how they make these records.

Back
Top Bottom