Radley's personal online Rig Discussion/Implementation/Group Therapy Session:

Patzag

Fractal Fanatic
Hey Radley,
This is exciting.
I'm reading this and these are my thoughts:
1. 15 presets per bank? are you not using IAs at all to turn on/off effects?
2. Why do you need a Boss processor to handle the volume control? I use an expression pedal plugged into the MFC for this, controlling the VOL/PAN block, with a custom taper I made so it feels like I want. I also have two IAs reserved for Volume Increase (+1dB) and Volume Decrease (-1dB) for quick, on-the-fly volume balancing.
3. Like you, I place my Volume block right after the cab. Works very well indeed.
4. I also use an additional expression pedal which controls the Delay input on all my delay blocks. It allows me to control the delay levels on the fly, without cutting delay tails. Very effective.

Good luck!

I don't think he's using the boss, he's just saying he knows how with that stuff but not on the axe. I have some questions and suggestions for rad but I don't wanna type em on this phone so I'll be back later :)

Radley's personal online Rig Discussion/Implimetation/Group Therapy Session:

Dear Fractaloids,

I have totally committed to an AFX II/MFC 101 combo to handle ALL my processing for both Electric and Acoustic guitars as my official touring setup, and yet that is just the first step towards a completely functioning, hi-tech rig. Here is my current plan:

I will use the MFC-101 in the 15 preset per bank mode, with the remaining 2 switches operating as dedicated push-on/push-off switches to turn on various effect blocks or switching Amps - I’m hoping this can target different items per preset.

Bank 1 will contain all 15 of my Electric presets and Bank 2 will contain all 15of my Acoustic presets. The switching between Electric and Acoustic inputs will be accomplished by using the AFX’s Return as the Acoustic input point with the FX Loop being placed at the beginning of the chain in each Acoustic preset. Switching between Electric and Acoustic patches is easily accomplished by a single bank change. I will use a controller pedal assigned to CC 7 for continuously controlling the volume, with the control point being after the gain effects, but before the stereo effects to provide a natural trail-off for any delays & verbs.

Obviously the CC 7 value must be constantly updated, even when switching presets, otherwise it becomes useless...

I can do all of this backwards and forwards on my aging Boss processors, but I will likely need some help accomplishing all of this with my new rig before our rehearsals start - any help or suggestions will greatly appreciated!

~RadBot~

PS: I also posted this in the MFC section, but I think many more people will see it here. Administrators: If this is the wrong place for this post, please feel free to move it where you feel best...

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote we keep this one and delete the MFC forum one. This is dealing with the axe ii and I think many will learn from the things we accomplish here, even if some is about the MFC. It's a complete Fractal setup used for a "real" pro gig :)

I merged the posts in the other forum here. They popped up before your post because the were made earlier. I will bold your post so it stands out.

Or if Patzag and Chrisalen8888 want to repost, I'll delete there earlier ones.

And for those who assumed my decision was a contest between the AFX II and the KPA, this was never the case. Although I have coaxed some fine sounds from my Kemper, it was never a serious consideration for touring because of various 'show-stopper' OS instabilities and noise problems, as well as the lack of midi.

i say delete the early things cuz it throws off the thread.

if there is some artist program for him then that's awesome! i know the forum here can lead people astray. but by now Radley should know a few people here he can trust in.

btw i HATE cooking :)

Radley,

Let me know if you want some "Artist Program" consultation on all this.

With all due respect to my amazing peers here, the forum is not necessarily the best place to start, as you risk too-many-cooks-itis.

After personally watching Matt work with Dweezil for over an hour I cannot recommend this enough. It was truly impressive seeing the interaction between the two along with the expertise Matt has with the magic box. You would be foolish not to take him up on the offer in my humble opinion.

Radley, this great! Been running my electric/acoustic setup like that since 2007...and asking for input 2 tuner the whole time, LOL.

A similar request has been out there for a year. It's even better!
Keep input 2 L/R as it is now, make front/rear input selection switchable PER PATCH at the patch input window, and put tuner and envelope follower on rear input 1 L/R (tuner is already on one side of input 1 rear, but envelope follower isn't)

A player that processes acoustic mic and pickup separate on L/R would of course need pitch detection & envelope follower on both. Having subtle octave and violin effects ebb & flow based on picking dynamics would be a great addition to acoustic toolbox, and tuner is a no-brainer.

Bonus - this leaves the effects loop intact and available as another input!

Last edited:
"Like you, I place my Volume block right after the cab. Works very well indeed. I also use an additional expression pedal which controls the Delay input on all my delay blocks. It allows me to control the delay levels on the fly, without cutting delay tails. Very effective."

I do exactly the same thing. It's the only way to go if you want natural decay on verbs and delays. The delay pedal allows you to vary delay on the fly smoothly. I also have the delay feedback controlled by this pedal, so that as the delay level rises, the feedback rises making the delay bigger and thicker as I roll on the pedal.

My 3rd pedal is for wah...

The 4th is AFTER initial COMPRESSOR block and BEFORE AMP block to roll back and "clean-up" amps (a la the guitar volume knob) while keeping the compression I like on the raw guitar signal. I also have this pedal setup so that as the AMP input is decreased there is a slight volume boost to compensate for the level drop when reducing the AMP input. Some patches have an additional modifier attached to this pedal that rolls in a chorus as the AMP input is decreased. So if you're taking a dirty patch and cleaning it up with this pedal you get a nice chorus as the signal cleans up into a rhythm sound.

I use 2 external switches: One turns on the MULTI-DELAY block for Shimmer/Plex delay in any preset, the other controls ROTARY speed - Low to High to Low

I use 10 presets per bank which allows me to have IA switches for ROTARY, TREMOLO, BOOST, & CHORUS in any preset...I use the TAP TEMPO/TUNER combo setting and my last switch up top is for X-Y switching. If I ever need some other weird effect I can use REVEAL and access other IA switches for that, but it's rare.

Very neat, organized and consistent across presets.

Last edited:
Solo - I like the way you're thinking :) I will likely be using the new TC tuner (all 6 strings at a glance), which will be available all the time in my configuration (all my guitars go into a mixer, as I currently use 6 onstage) but regardless, I think your implementation makes a lot of sense, especially if it avoids losing the loop's functionality - good job!

It is also important that input 2 can also be set to trigger the main noise reduction circuit for maximum quietness...

It is also important that input 2 can also be set to trigger the main noise reduction circuit for maximum quietness...

It cannot. However, you can put a gate block in the chain anywhere and have it set its trigger source to input 1, input2, its own input or any row. Just set the sidechain select.

Radley,

Let me know if you want some "Artist Program" consultation on all this.

With all due respect to my amazing peers here, the forum is not necessarily the best place to start, as you risk too-many-cooks-itis.

^This

@Matt - You need a little helper..... :p

Back
Top Bottom