Radley's FW 10.0 early impressions:

Radley

Experienced
Upgraded without a hitch, and yes, things sound very different.... yet with a moderate amount of tweaking, my presets sound much more amplike and alive. It will take a few more days for me to totally wrap my head around this new technology, but I have a *very* good feeling right now, and I tend to believe there's no turning back for me...

Major thanks and kudos to Cliff and the entire Fractal Team for their tireless efforts in bringing us this new standard... break out the Champagne!

I'm right there with you. These amps feel more real (not that I really have a point of reference) to me. Any of the complaints about them being harsh, or unforgiving, or lacking in sustain are strange to me because all of these issues can be tweaked to sound the way you want it.

It is kind of strange that so many users, who would comfortably adjust the controls on a "real" amp to get a sound they like, seem to expect the axe to sound perfect at default settings. Just pretend its a real amp, and adjust it to your liking.

It is kind of strange that so many users, who would comfortably adjust the controls on a "real" amp to get a sound they like, seem to expect the axe to sound perfect at default settings. Just pretend its a real amp, and adjust it to your liking.

Exactly. Well said.

Upgraded without a hitch, and yes, things sound very different.... yet with a moderate amount of tweaking, my presets sound much more amplike and alive. It will take a few more days for me to totally wrap my head around this new technology, but I have a *very* good feeling right now, and I tend to believe there's no turning back for me...

Major thanks and kudos to Cliff and the entire Fractal Team for their tireless efforts in bringing us this new standard... break out the Champagne!

My thoughts exactly.

Thanks Radley,

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the Rotary, as I know you profess to be a fan of these tones. I personally think it's the best anywhere at this time.

At long last, I finally could spare two evenings to go across the 1st 90 presets or so. I also reworked my own patches. Can't be more user friendly that this. Easy to get the tone...and what tones?! Holy cow! From classic blues to the most outrageous metal, it's all in there. Thanx! FW10 indeed rocks!! Cheers.

Thanks Radley,

Also curious to hear your thoughts on the Rotary, as I know you profess to be a fan of these tones. I personally think it's the best anywhere at this time.

The default Rotary block settings don't do much for me.

I tried Yek's suggested settings last night but didn't have a ton of time to mess with it. My initial reaction was not eureka though :)

This was using one of the Fender factory patches that I made minor tweaks to. Very happy with the patch but when I added the rotary it didn't blow my mind.

Richard

I tried Yek's suggested settings last night but didn't have a ton of time to mess with it. My initial reaction was not eureka though :)

This was using one of the Fender factory patches that I made minor tweaks to. Very happy with the patch but when I added the rotary it didn't blow my mind.

Richard

I'd for sure take another spin (haha) with it. It's very very good in 10.

Richard

Same here... not complaining- just sharing my opinion. I have the Neo Ventilator pedal in my amp rig for comparison, although I have yet to plug it into the Axe. I'm not as adept at fine tuning the Axe's rotary settings so I've just used yek's suggestions so far. It's not bad, but no bingo for me.

Same here... not complaining- just sharing my opinion. I have the Neo Ventilator pedal in my amp rig for comparison, although I have yet to plug it into the Axe. I'm not as adept at fine tuning the Axe's rotary settings so I've just used yek's suggestions so far. It's not bad, but no bingo for me.

In stereo with the default settings it is very tremolo sounding to me vs. swirly.

With Yek's settings less so, but still beats more than swirls.

It could definitely be user error here. I've not used the Rotary much but am revisiting it after seeing some new raves about it in v10 :)

Thanks Radley,

Hey Matt - Lovin' the 10.0! Regarding the Rotary: I'm with most of the others who believe the Rotary is nice, but not great nor totally convincing. One poster said there's more 'beat' than 'swirl', and maybe that describes what I'm hearing. It is still much better than it was... just doesn't sound totally 'homogenized' to me yet...

I think rotary has improved, but not great yet. Also the controls are not for for guitar players, but more for engineer type person. That makes it very hard to tweak. It would be great if the default settings were more useable.

I'm used to hearing a swoosh from a Leslie. It's not a flanger sound per se but does have a kind of noise swoosh going on.

Back
Top Bottom