Rackmount Case Suggestion for Axe-Fx III

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
What rackmount cases are people using???

I bought a standard depth SKB 6U rolling case, because I liked the rolling feature, but it's WAY TOO DEEP, and a waste of space. It's 17.5 inches from the front rail to the back rail. I didn't realize that before I bought it.

I really liked the "rolling" rackmount case idea. Sadly SKB doesn't offer the rolling feature on their "shallow" cases which are about 11" deep, which is perfect for the Axe-fx iii

Caseless in Columbus

I se a gator 4-space rack. Lightweight, easy, still enough depth to store cables in the back. Zippered pocket on top for extra cabling etc. Easy grip handles. The only snag is the front zippered flap is awkward to tuck underneath the rack because of the handle so the rack always tilts upward when placed on a flat surface. Some might like it.

I'm about to grab an SKB shallow case but I am trying to decide If I want the 3 space for a perfect fit or 4 space with some breathing room/space for accessories. I don't think I will need a Furman power rack. I have two QSC K12 monitors so no need for a poweramp. What else are you guys throwing in your racks? Any heat concerns? Seems like it doesn't get super hot on hits own, but the rack will definitely add some heat.

Gator GR-4S Standard Shallow.

It's 4U, only 12" deep, with a Furman PL-Plus DMC on top. Nice having the lights to illuminate the front panel of the III.

I'm about to grab an SKB shallow case but I am trying to decide If I want the 3 space for a perfect fit or 4 space with some breathing room/space for accessories. I don't think I will need a Furman power rack. I have two QSC K12 monitors so no need for a poweramp. What else are you guys throwing in your racks? Any heat concerns? Seems like it doesn't get super hot on hits own, but the rack will definitely add some heat.
The Furman is meh as far as power conditioning goes, but the surge protection is a must in my eyes. The power modules with lights definitely help seeing the front of the unit should you need to edit via the unit on the fly. Haven't had any heat issues with a shallow rack case, Nice and open on both sides, and the rear I/O of the Axe is about 4" from the back edge.

Last question I swear! Am I crazy for thinking the rolling SKB cases are a bad idea? I know people take FX3s out on the road all the time but they are in squishy foam surrounded by metal. Still probably a lot of vibration I guess. The FX3 is connected directly into the rails of the SKB which has me worried about vibration. I don't tour but I play out a few times a month.

Back
Top Bottom