Rack Unit With Feet?

JammieDodger

Inspired
Hey. Would love to put my Axe FX3 in a 3/U rack that has feet so it can go on top of my speaker cabinet. Any ideas of any?

Many racks are flat-bottomed or designed to stack on other racks from the same manufacturer. That can be problematic if your speaker cabinet isn't flat (i.e., it has a handle on top). If you have a rack that doesn't have feet, you can add them. I once had an SKB roto-molded rack that didn't have feet on it, and I installed plastic skateboard rails under it so that it would sit properly on my Mesa amp (this was pre-Fractal days for me). I used to be a skateboarder, so I had those things just sitting around. But any rubber feet will work if you're willing to drill into (or through) the bottom of the rack to put them on.

Many racks are flat-bottomed or designed to stack on other racks from the same manufacturer. That can be problematic if your speaker cabinet isn't flat (i.e., it has a handle on top). If you have a rack that doesn't have feet, you can add them. I once had an SKB roto-molded rack that didn't have feet on it, and I installed plastic skateboard rails under it so that it would sit properly on my Mesa amp (this was pre-Fractal days for me). I used to be a skateboarder, so I had those things just sitting around. But any rubber feet will work if you're willing to drill into (or through) the bottom of the rack to put them on.

Good idea! I've got a bag of rubber feet from a project before. I could drill a simple hole in the bottom of the case, get a nut and bolt and screw the feet into the case. That would work wouldn't it.

Good idea! I've got a bag of rubber feet from a project before. I could drill a simple hole in the bottom of the case, get a nut and bolt and screw the feet into the case. That would work wouldn't it.
Yes. The only thing to watch for: depending on the weight / composition of your rack, putting four feet on it might concentrate all that weight onto a small area. On an ABS plastic rack, you run the risk of having the foot break through the material. So it might be smart to have more than four feet, depending on the size / weight of the rack. On a regular wood rack, this would not be a consideration.

Yes. The only thing to watch for: depending on the weight / composition of your rack, putting four feet on it might concentrate all that weight onto a small area. On an ABS plastic rack, you run the risk of having the foot break through the material. So it might be smart to have more than four feet, depending on the size / weight of the rack. On a regular wood rack, this would not be a consideration.
+1 on being careful with an ABS rack. They are not very srtong, structurally. I have a 6 space SKB roto case, with a rack drawer, my AxeFX3, and a Furman power distribution/conditioner in it. Not terribly heavy stuff, but settin it on top of the slightly narrower SpaceStation caused the bottom to flex into an arc that only stopped curving when it impacted the metal bottom of the drawer. I have since dug up my old rack stand from the '90s (a wooden folding TV table) and removed the legs so it could be used as a support under the rack. In the short couple of weeks it was not supported fully, it took a permanent curve, though with the support it no longer hinders the drawer's movement....
20210310_203459.jpg

The other thing to watch out for is clearance inside the rack. Make sure the screws don't project too far into the case to where the rack gear hits them.

Back
Top Bottom