Rack Suggestions for Axe-Fx III

Hi Stereotactic,
No, no flying.
From memory the cost was close to a 4U SKB shockmount roller rack except the Maytech has many more features/form and function factor for my Axe Fx IIXL needs than anything on the market.

Ok, so the SKB 6U Shallow showed up and I assembled it tonight. It fits absolutely perfect. I pandered between the Gator models as well as the more hardy road cases. I had a 16U ASCase rig back in the day that took the whole band to load in and out... F that... I was also torn on getting a larger case for a drawer and a wireless and I decided "screw it" and stayed agile with the minimalist route. This SKB is light and looks great. There is enough room in the back of the rig to stuff your cords. I also found a few short 1' power cables to keep it clean in the back. Couldn't be more pleased.IMG_5239.jpg IMG_5235.jpg IMG_5236.jpg IMG_5238.jpg

[

Hi Stereotactic,
No, no flying.
From memory the cost was close to a 4U SKB shockmount roller rack except the Maytech has many more features/form and function factor for my Axe Fx IIXL needs than anything on the market.

Thanks congalocke, yes, it looks like a well made case. Is it designed to survive as checked luggage? Just curios if the manufacturer represents it as such...

Thanks congalocke, yes, it looks like a well made case. Is it designed to survive as checked luggage? Just curios if the manufacturer represents it as such...

I would contact them and speak to Gerry Mayo, (he assisted through the whole process) to have those questions answered as this was a one off and won't be road tested like that.
I do love the flat panel access on the front and back (I really wanted that...) but there is a slight wobble to the covers, (I can press them in a little) so it doesn't feel, to me as solid as say the Mesa Boogie flat access panels due to available hardware or design on this one. The latches aren't flat against the case sides so there's a little give...

ug65 your setup looks amazing! Two quick stupid newbie questions. First, where did you get your rack accessories? (vent grids, antenna and and IO panels) Second, where does the power cord of your power conditioner leave the rack case? If I'm not mistaken the power conditioner is behind that bottom grid, but aren't the cables really close?

Thanks for sharing!

I second the 6U SKB Shallow Roto Rack.

View attachment 48792 View attachment 48793

ug65 your setup looks amazing! Two quick stupid newbie questions. First, where did you get your rack accessories? (vent grids, antenna and and IO panels) Second, where does the power cord of your power conditioner leave the rack case? If I'm not mistaken the power conditioner is behind that bottom grid, but aren't the cables really close?

Thanks for sharing!
The blue connector on the rack panel says "power in". I'd assume that feeds the power conditioner.

Just wanted to chime in. I have two Gator G-Pro retomolded racks, a 4U and a 8U. They are real nice however it is my opinion they don't offer enough air flow to the side of the Axe FX. The way the side handles are molded comes way in within a half inch of the side of the AFX right in the area of the vent holes. I played a gig in july where we were in a parking lot mid day (Florida) with no shade over the rack. It was so hot the Axe FX III shut off and rebooted like 8 times in an hour and a half. This was in the 8U which is light gray in color not black. The racks covers also need to be trimmed to fit around the AFX III handles.
IMG_3002.jpg IMG_3002.jpg IMG_3003.jpg

Just wanted to chime in. I have two Gator G-Pro retomolded racks, a 4U and a 8U. They are real nice however it is my opinion they don't offer enough air flow to the side of the Axe FX. The way the side handles are molded comes way in within a half inch of the side of the AFX right in the area of the vent holes. I played a gig in july where we were in a parking lot mid day (Florida) with no shade over the rack. It was so hot the Axe FX III shut off and rebooted like 8 times in an hour and a half. This was in the 8U which is light gray in color not black. The racks covers also need to be trimmed to fit around the AFX III handles.
View attachment 48808 View attachment 48808 View attachment 48809
I also had a 3U one and returned it. I didn't get what Gator was thinking with that adhesive they put on that rail plate to accept the screw holes. Every time I tried to mount and fasten my Axe III into it, it kept falling off and I had to use the middle screw to fasten it first, then put the Axe FX unit in over it. Hated it, and went with the SKB instead.

Last edited:
I also had a 3U one and returned it. I didn't get what Gator was thinking with that adhesive they put on that rail plate to accept the screw holes. Every time I tried to mount and fasten my Axe III into it, it kept falling off and I had to use the middle screw to fasten it first, then put the Axe FX unit in over it. Hated it, and go the SKB instead.

I think Gator has changed the design of these again since the ones I have. So i have no idea what your talking about. lol o_O

I would contact them and speak to Gerry Mayo, (he assisted through the whole process) to have those questions answered as this was a one off and won't be road tested like that.
I do love the flat panel access on the front and back (I really wanted that...) but there is a slight wobble to the covers, (I can press them in a little) so it doesn't feel, to me as solid as say the Mesa Boogie flat access panels due to available hardware or design on this one. The latches aren't flat against the case sides so there's a little give...

Thanks for the detailed info, will do.

Avoid the Gator G-Pro Roto Mold Rolling Rack Case, unless you wish to do some case surgery:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GProR4--gator-g-pror-4u-19-pro-series-rolling-rack-case

The from cover won't attach and I assume it's the rack handles on either side. I did find that I could get my Matrix GT 1000FX-2U power amp into the case and close the front cover, just barely.
If it's like the SKB roto racks (older ones, anyway), it's not the handles. It's the bezel. The Axe III's bezel is thicker than on most other rack gear. On the SKB, the lip on the front lid just barely closes over the bezel of most rack gear. As you noted, it takes some force to close the latches. I did some minor surgery on my SKB roto, and now everything fits perfectly. I found mine used for $60, so it was worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom