Rack Suggestions for Axe-Fx III

The cables are about 28 inches. The connector panel was actually built for my old AxeFx2 so they are a little long.

The furman is supposed to give me some protection from spikes and surges. We have issues sometimes here on this island and I'm hoping the furman will save my gear. The connector unplugs from the furman, just like the power cord in the axe. You need to unscrew the metal bracket.
Thank you so much for your reply. 2 more questions

1) Did you Velcro the Furman inside the rack to keep it tight?
2) Would 1.5 ft cables work better if you were buying for the first time?

I have to say this is clean, smart and well done! Very impressive.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for your reply. 2 more questions

1) Did you Velcro the Furman inside the rack to keep it tight?
2) Would 1.5 ft cables work better if you were buying for the first time?

I have to say this is clean, smart and well done! Very impressive.

Cheers!

Thanks for the compliment!

The Furman is bolted to a 1u rack tray.

1U Rack Tray

I used the last slot in the tray so a shorter one may work, but you'll be cutting it close with the back cover space. And the furman is about 3 lbs so you don't want it moving around in there. I wouldn't rely on adhesive to keep it stuck in place. The rack tray can flex a little and I thought it might rattle a little against the Axe while driving, so I put a little cardboard spacer between the furman and the AXE until I can find my roll of stick on felt. Just to avoid any unnecessary rack rash. (UPS mangled the tray and I sort of hammered it back straight, so it's bowed down a little anyway.)

20190813_112521.jpg

On the cable length the minimum would be 16 to 18 inches to go straight back, depending on the plug you have (mine are a couple inches long). You would need about 24 inches to go from the left front corner to right rear corner, then you may need a little extra for neat routing so you can zip tie them all together somewhere. There is plenty of room to stuff the extra in, and if you end up a little short you're Homer'd. I still have some changes to make so I haven't tidy'd up yet.

I just want to thank you for posting this rig. I set my own up using this great strategy and it worked like a charm at my first gig! For the AC out I bought a pre made AC cable from the Furman to the Neutrik pass through inside the rig. Brad/Brian at BTPA (Bestronics) made the cable with the 3 prongs and I was reassured of the safety. Great idea and Thank You!!!

After a bit of research trying to get a smaller lighter setup I finally settled on the Gator 4U "Standard Shallow" case. It was on sale for $120 a couple of weeks ago but it looks like the price just went back up to $189. It's a little over 14" from front face to inside of back panel so you can hook everything up and leave the back lid on. I have a connector panel in the front and a small furman AC-215A power conditioner hidden away inside. The new setup is about 30lbs and fits on my amp stand nicely but as you can see I still need to work on the connector panel, lol.

View attachment 57362View attachment 57365View attachment 57369

View attachment 57371
Here's my old SKB case for size comparison:

View attachment 57372
I just bought that amp stand for the same reason. Awesome!

Gator is a pi
I have been using the same Gator rack for the Axe-FX for ten years. Still going strong. Great for around town. I would want something sturdier if I had to check it when flying. I had a
Gator bag that I used to carry on when they were two space.
GATOR is a piece of trash. Mine didn’t survive one road trip, and I even supported the ass-end of the axe 3 with judicious bubble wrap. The gator was falling apart before I even took the trip (cheap glue holds the trim on). The rack fell apart on the road. One road trip. Glad the axe survived.

I dropped my Gator case down a flight of stairs a few weeks back and it survived fine, including all the contents such as FXIII, IEM and wireless transmitter and PDB, I was really worried when I picked it up but was very surprised at zero damage.
I would never take it out on a road tour though, Gator is ok for local easy transport from home to studio etc..

Back
Top Bottom