Rack size for gigging

vai777

Hi All,

Remember the fridge days of the 80's and 90's they look cool but you can't move them unless your 18yo or Metallica. I've switched over to AxefxIII and Matrix GT1600 for my live gigs and have a question to avoid large racks again.

For the gigging musicians here how many of you are separating the poweramp from the main rig into its own rack case. Even though my Matrix is super light compared to my old Mesa 2:90 and Triaxis as with anything adding all the units adds up to weight and size.

Thinking through this might help others as well as me. Of course I'd like it all in one rack and if left at home that would be ideal, but the lugging to gigs has to keep it light.

Options:

(ALL in one)

1. AxeFXIII + Furman + Matrix GT1600 + SKB 6 rack space = (56.2lb)

Split up

2. Axefx III + SKB 4 Space = (29.4lb) Also smaller easier to carry

3. Matrix GT1600 + Furman AR1215 + SKB 3 space = (33.2lb)

What you all think?

I find it's better to split as it's easier to walk upstairs/downstairs and to gigs. I use a Gator two rack unit for my Axe FXII and a Gator three unit for my Matrix GT1000FX (2U). The other spare unit will be for a power rack.

2 unit + Axe FXII 11.6kg or 25.5 lbs
3 unit + Matrix GT1000FX 8.55kg or 18.8 lbs

Total weight 20.15kg or 44lbs.

Both cases are shallow, the Axe protrudes slightly but lids shut ok.

Lighter works for me. I also use the Matrix FR12 @ a surprisingly 13kg. I can lift this with my little finger. Will get another one soon.

Hope that helps

I prefer everything in one rack. Last thing I want to do on a dark stage is try to wire up my rig under the clock. Too many things can go wrong and troubleshooting in the heat of battle is never fun. In my rack I have a Power amp, Axe FX, motu midi time piece, motu 828mkii interface, line 6 g30, and a Power conditioner. The only connections I have to make at a show is plug in the ac, then plug in my foot controller. I don’t have to touch any connections in the rack.

Of course I also have to connect a speaker cab, just for the sake of clarity. But everything is already connected in the rack, I’m just pulling leads out and plugging them in. Takes me about two minutes to be up and running on a slow night.

Of course I also have to connect a speaker cab, just for the sake of clarity. But everything is already connected in the rack, I’m just pulling leads out and plugging them in. Takes me about two minutes to be up and running on a slow night.
Front of rack panels really speed that up. I never take the back cover off of my rack since about 2014... Unless there is some sort of issue, I have no need.

Split racks make transportation easier, as its probably easier to carry 2 small racks, one in each hand, then 1 bigger one in both. Although in the latter case remember that wheels are always your friend. On the down side having it all in one rack means you're set to go from the start. Just plug in power, in- and output. When you have to connect two racks it means more work during changeovers and more chance of things going wrong. Murphy LOVES rigs that have more cables that have to patched in and out each and every time. But if you go this way, as unix-guy says, front of rack panels with all the connectors upfront are your friend. Darkened stages where light guys are constantly messing about with the light are no places to be fumbling in the back of racks.

Back
Top Bottom