Rack question

Thomas Larsson

Experienced
Has anybody managed to fit an axe II , matrix gx800 and a mfc 101 into a
Skb rlx 4 ?
It looks like it could be possible but tight.

If you take off the feet and slide it in on the bottom space (or upside down as the top unit w some serious velcro :D), it might just be possible in a slightly longer case like the Gator. It doesn't seem it would fit my SKB here, but haven't taken the feet off). I'll test it.

OK, I can't slide any footswitches over the Matrix unit, so the overlap is very limited and it sticks out 5,5 cm on the back.
With the slightly longer Gator case, the back cover would cover the less long part sticking out.

Since I don't have the Axe directly under/above the Matrix, I'm not sure if the high part of the MFC can be squeezed in. I think it might be a question of one or two millimeters, yes or no.
If not, you could design a piece of ramp that presses down all top row switches :)

Just rechecked, I think it will fit easily (in Gator rack). The top row switches end after the Axe, so no problem there either. Maybe I'll make some pics in an hour, maybe not.

Last edited:
But if the axe would be on top and the matrix underneath it.
Then you might just slide one inch under the matrix 800 (until the first switch touches). According to the figures the matrix is 210 mm , the mfc 254 mm and the case depht 444,5 mm. Thats 20 mm missing. That's what I thought would slide under the matrix. But I don't know the height of the lowest side of the mfc.
:D

But if the axe would be on top and the matrix underneath it.
Yep, that comes down to the same, only easier :D

The part sliding under would be 2 cm. The height w switches of front row and w/o feet is about 6 cm. You can also screw in the feet of the Matrix (yek did that I believe, I will too in a moment :)) In an SKB they might even have room in the profile of the case, but the Gator has a less roomy profile, as far as I can see.

The depth of my old SKB (w/o) covers is 39,5 cm. I've measured that the hollow covers also have about 5,5 cm room, so it might well fit exactly to the mm, or just missing one or two (because there is some overlap between cover and case edges).
It might be such a nice fit, you'd harldy need any padding.

My Gator is 43,5 cm deep, so that would go "for sure, I think".

:geek >>> For the SKB, you could add some small front spacers to the Matrix, so it sticks out a bit on the front to create room in the back :) With the added advantage of an edge for picks and pens ;) If you don't take bus spacers, but something the heigth of the unit, it will probably still be stable enough?

Last edited:
Ive always wanted to be able to fit my GCP into my rack, but it was too wide and too long for any sort of configuration. I thought it would fit in a 3U rack drawer, so i bought one. Long story short, I now have a 3U rack drawer for 2 cables.

There was a cool video on YT with a guy that removed the feet from his G-System foot controller. He then rack mounted it for transport on the rear rails flat (pedals facing outward) and put the feet in a rack drawer with his cables. Guitar, Mark IV combo and one 4 or 6 sp rack, thats it for a gig. One of coolest MacGuyver-ish things I've seen.

Personally, I like the B or C sizes, but I'm not so persnickety that I'd turn down any size rack.

Do you have an rlx 4 (skb)?

If you take off the feet and slide it in on the bottom space (or upside down as the top unit w some serious velcro :D), it might just be possible in a slightly longer case like the Gator. It doesn't seem it would fit my SKB here, but haven't taken the feet off). I'll test it.

Do you have an rlx 4 (skb)?
No, a 6 space. "RLX" doesn't ring a bell for me, I just know it's at least some 20 years old and I've specified the depth of mine.
My GT800FX is the 2nd unit from the top, with an empty space on top, so therefore I could try and fit it a bit.
You are right to try. I think it will go if you add a spacer to the front of the Matrix. It's probably preferable to get some extra millimeters there for some padding.

BTW, I also fitted the Matrix feet to the MFC. They fit well, but you need smaller washers (if you like). But why did the Matrix only come with 4 feet when I need 6, "WTF????" ;)

But what is the height of the mfc at the lowest part before the first switch ?
:ugeek

No, a 6 space. "RLX" doesn't ring a bell for me, I just know it's at least some 20 years old and I've specified the depth of mine.
My GT800FX is the 2nd unit from the top, with an empty space on top, so therefore I could try and fit it a bit.
You are right to try. I think it will go if you add a spacer to the front of the Matrix. It's probably preferable to get some extra millimeters there for some padding.

BTW, I also fitted the Matrix feet to the MFC. They fit well, but you need smaller washers (if you like). But why did the Matrix only come with 4 feet when I need 6, "WTF????" ;)

Myself, I have a new case build from honeycomb plastic with alu strips from Adam Hall ( Flightcase Material Easy Case System ) this is pretty strong and nice lightweight.
this way you can choose the dimensions yourself!

For my pedalboard i use wooden flightcase materials.
Herefore i built an extra deep backlit from my 15HE case ( my old analog rack ) because i need drawers to put my stuff in ( cables, Ipad etc. ) i now use the 15HE rack together with our bassguitar player.
His stuff is now in the rack, my drawers and backlit i still use.
This lit that separates in 2 halves, the left over is for my guitar stand to put in, i have screwed a plastic tube on it.

I have the MFC mounted on the backlit together with my expression pedals ( Boss FV500 and Mission Pedal )
Also i have the micstand mounted on, only the part with the screw, the rest lies in the stand-case.

So at the end of our gig, i simply roll up my cables, pick up and put on my lit and i'm ready to go ( home ).

But this is only for transportation in a truck or van, not to drag arround all day....

Back
Top Bottom