Rack Patch Panel Ground?

Tom Morris

Power User
I built my own panel being that one company went under and the other would never return my call. My question is on grounding between 1/4 inch inputs, outputs and XLR's. I added 2 1/4 outputs from my Matrix power amp at one point, came to find out the sockets grounded to the panel which didn't work out so well LOL. Anyway I have found some sockets for 1/4 that have plastic housings that should fix that issue. The main question I have now is with XLR, does having these sockets ground to the panel, is that a problem for in and outs? I'm going to do 2x XLR for output2 to FOH and want to add another one for FC controller.

I don't have specific to this application knowledge, but in general it is usually accepted that having one single path to ground is best to avoid ground loops

Shouldn’t ground to anything I don’t think, with all three wires just passing thru the jack, and grounding to their intended target.

I’ve built pass through into the sides of plastic SKB cases etc and they always worked fine, so I wouldn’t expect any need for grounding

Back
Top Bottom