rack mountable midi interface with knobs & buttons

dschaaf

Experienced
Just wondering if anyone knows of a 1U or 2U rack mountable midi controller that (similar in functionality to the Behringer BCR2000 MIDI Controller w/ Rotary Knobs at zZounds) would allow you to have a series of knobs dedicated to drive, Bass, Mid Treble, Master Volume etc...etc....

It would be great to have a 6U rack with the Axe FX II, Matrix GT1000FX and this type of controller

Thanks,
D

Last edited:
Hi dschaaf,

Seems you're not the only person who would like such a device. See the linked thread in my signature. My project is with the BCR2000 unfortunately.

Cheers,
Eric

We are looking into this at Mission. Spec is a 1RU box MIDI in out and USB for external programming. Expression pedal inputs on front and rear. Probably at least 6 knobs and 6 toggle switches plus a momentary for tap tempo. Plan at the moment is to include an LCD display and buttons for programming from the device itself but if you can get away without this and use PC/Mac programming only I could get more knobs and switches on the front. If you could all chime in with comments on the items below it would be really helpful. Thanks. James.

Is rack unit depth important? Would 8" or 11" be preferable?
Is preference for front panel LCD and programming, or PC only programming via USB and more knobs?
Would you want to plugin expression pedals and external switches? If so is 4 (2 front and 2 back enough)?
USB and/or power over MIDI, or mains power or both?
What about a 2U version with more knobs and switches?
Is an adjustable handle kit for using on a desktop a requirement? Would you pay extra for that?
Any other feature requests?

Hi James

I was looking at building one myself but I really don"t need another project :)
My concept was this:

a 1 or 2 U rack module with the basic layout of an amp face-plate, Vol, gain, treb,bass etc.. A few buttons, LCD, sliders and a large rotary encoder for selecting functions. You could almost mimic the left side of the Axe and have two rows of Amp style controls on the right obviously assignable to any parameter in groups selected by the rotary encoder or buttons.

This would also be a perfect time to implement the one single thing missing from the Axe (yes! there is ONLY ONE, IMHO), a USB port for loading patches from a memory stick. I go to rehearsals once a week and generally gig once a week. I certainly don't unpack and setup my rig at home all the time, I leave it packed up ready to go. Taking a laptop to rehearsals or a gig is way too much hassle, I generally read the forum while at work and would so love to just be able to grab a patch and drop it onto a memory stick and try it out at rehearsals.

Midi Face Plate.jpg

Cheers S

You could build the MC1 from Mr. Fret at memecode.com into a rackunit. It has 6 or 8 knobs that control things like bass/mid/treble/gain, etc.

Hi Reincaster,

Have you actually tried out the MC1? The web page says it will work with AXE-FX STANDARD and ULTRA. Does not look like it has been adapted to AXE-2.

We are looking into this at Mission. Spec is a 1RU box MIDI in out and USB for external programming. Expression pedal inputs on front and rear. Probably at least 6 knobs and 6 toggle switches plus a momentary for tap tempo. Plan at the moment is to include an LCD display and buttons for programming from the device itself but if you can get away without this and use PC/Mac programming only I could get more knobs and switches on the front. If you could all chime in with comments on the items below it would be really helpful. Thanks. James.

Is preference for front panel LCD and programming, or PC only programming via USB and more knobs?
Would you want to plugin expression pedals and external switches? If so is 4 (2 front and 2 back enough)?
Is an adjustable handle kit for using on a desktop a requirement? Would you pay extra for that?

What I'd like to see is a simple controller that copies the basic amp settings on the axeII, in other words just an amp face that will be for live use( that's what I've missed the most, to be able to do adjustments on the fly in an easy way without having to push a load of buttons.)
No need for LCD or programming from the unit itself, but those cool endless rotaries with led rings and toggle for bright switch etc.
I use the MFC so I have all my expression pedals and external switches I need right there.
Power over midi/usb would be nice. No real need for mains IMO, as it will live in a rack with my Axe and get power from that.

Lovin this!

I'd prefer 8"
I'm a heavily gigging player, so front panel LCD is my preference
Yes
Main power
Would be nice if there were a 1U and 2U versions so people could buy whichever suited them. I'd prefer a 1U, or a shallow 2U
Not really interested in the desktop options, more interested in it for live use.

More knobs/encoders rather than switches in my opinion tho. I'd rather have 9 knobs and 3 switches than 6 knobs and 6 switches. More knobs is the only thing that the axe is missing in my opinion (tho ABCD are a very welcome addition)

Back
Top Bottom