Rack Cases/studio rack for Axefx II

spattergrind

Hey guys,

What is a good, affordable, rack case for the AxeFx II that doesn't look too bulky for desktop use but could still go on the road?

Thanks

I have a Gator shallow 4U rack case ... they come in 3 and 2 u. The Axe FX II fits into it ... it sticks a little out the back when the back cover is off but that is not a big deal to me. The case pretty compact.

I don't understand... assuming you steer clear of anti-shock racks, all racks of your required number of spaces and desired depth will be the same size.

I don't understand... assuming you steer clear of anti-shock racks, all racks of your required number of spaces and desired depth will be the same size.
Not really. While the internal space is the same some (e.g., Roto Racks) have a fair bit of extra volume due to the handles, etc..

I have a Gator shallow 4U rack case ... they come in 3 and 2 u. The Axe FX II fits into it ... it sticks a little out the back when the back cover is off but that is not a big deal to me. The case pretty compact.

I bought one and decided against it. The fact that it sticks out the back means that any knock is going to be taken by the connectors on the rear and those connectors are soldered directly to the PC board, not wired via fly leads. Even though there is a 9mm padded plywood board in the back lid, you are still transferring the impact to the connectors not to the side panels of the case as it is designed to do. Don't risk it.

I have a design for a 2U rack that is perfect if anyone is interested.
AxeRack1.jpg

Cheers Simon

Another vote for Audiopile as a class act...

I wound up with this one...

sku_view_image.php

SKB 10x6 Roto Rack Console with optional laptop stand

I mounted the Axe in the top space and modded a shelf to fill in the rest of the top.

UPS and a drawer for stuff are in the front with a few open spaces for future use.

axe-rack01.jpg

It's bigger than it could be, but I like having the space to have all I need in one spot.

I don't have to move it around much, but it's not that heavy. Wouldn't be cheap for
fly-ins but my phone's not been ringing for too many of those. If I was moving it
constantly I'd probably buy an ATA cube that would hold the whole thing and use
that for a stand for the case when I was using it. It's nice to have the laptop holder
in a convenient spot.

Some say that it's too much hassle to move that much gear , but when I hear that
I remember the story of the American general George Armstrong Custer who decided
to leave the Gatling guns behind on his trip to the Little Big Horn because it was
too much hassle to move that much gear around.

As always, YMMV...

Last edited:
I use a 4u SKB Rolling Rack. It is deeper than it needs to be for the Fractal, but I really like the "pop out the handle and roll it" feature. Especially when it's the Roadie's week off.

I'm in love with the EWI cases. Looks soo nice, and sturdy too!
However, how would I get it when I live in EU? Audiophile doesn't ship to EU. Does anyone know a reseller in EU or one in US that ships to EU?

Check out www.thomann.de for a bunch of rack options, from economy to full ATA. You can select the Sweden site, but I do know for sure the UK site has cases like this and ship anywhere in Europe.

Hope that helps. Also, might check with Yek, he is in that part of the world and has a lot of info on local music outlets.

^ That's awesome. I have imagined putting the amp/conditioner in a rack with the speakers... seems like it would make the Axe easier to apply to different situations (don't have to haul the whole powered setup to the studio, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom