Rack Case Size?

Paulg2uk

Power User
Hey guys,

New XL+ owner here. Apologies if this has already been answered. I'm trying to decide which rack case to buy. I'll need a 5u as I plan on putting a power conditioner, Axe, Matrix Power amp and Rack panel. I've found a couple over here in the UK. I'm just wondering which size to get? They do a 40cm version and a 45cm. I'm gonna be putting a rack panel in the front with all my connections on so everything will be connected inside via that. Would I be right in guessing the 40cm one would be the better choice?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks guys

Paul

If you want a rack panel in front and keep the back closed, definitely go with the 45cm rack, simply because you'll need some space for the cables and on a 40cm, you can barely even fit the angled ones in.

If you don't mind having to do some minor cablework on setup, consider getting a 2U and a 3U rack instead of a 5U. Your spine will thank you on the long run.

Last edited:
If you want a rack panel in front and keep the back closed, definitely go with the 45cm rack, simply because you'll need some space for the cables and on a 40cm, you can barely even fit the angled ones in.

Also, consider getting a 2U and a 3U rack instead of a 5U. Your spine will thank you.

Thanks for the reply. Of course I didn't take that into account. It's lucky I asked I would of bought the wrong one. I thought about getting a 4u there won't be enough space for everything. Any particular brands that are pretty decent?

Thanks for the reply. Of course I didn't take that into account. It's lucky I asked I would of bought the wrong one. I thought about getting a 4u there won't be enough space for everything. Any particular brands that are pretty decent?
If you buy from thomann, you can't go wrong with a THON. They weight a ton (I guess that's why they selected that brand name), but are sturdy as fuck.
If you want a rackbag, I have good experience with Gator.

I bought a 6U rhino sleeved case from Flightcase Warehouse - it is AMAZING. Protects all your stuff, plenty of room in the back and is built like a tank.

However, it ways a metric tonne haha! I decided to go for the same make, but 4U and do away with my power conditioner and use a surge protecting extension lead instead, velcroed onto the bottom of the rack case, and i put my wireless unit on a board with a small mixing desk which goes to my IEMS. Its working well for me now - although the case is still really heavy, its a little less bulky so easier to cart around. I've got a little trolly aswell which helps for when I'm not navigating stairs!

http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.u...shockmount-sleeved-flight-case-rack-4539-2577
Rhino 4u Shockmount (Sleeved) Flight Case Rack

If you don't mind having to do some minor cablework on setup, consider getting a 2U and a 3U rack instead of a 5U. Your spine will thank you on the long run.

Then it should be 3U + 3U: Axe-Fx II + Rack panel in one and Rack panel + Power Conditioner + Poweramp in the other one as you will need to route audio and power between the cases.

Hi Paul, I have an SKB 6u roller. It's great! Contains power conditioner, Axe-Fx, MFC, Exp. Pedal, all needed cables, and my stage clothes, and it rolls! Also good handles for those "stairs" situations. Only thing is the rear door is a little cheap with its twisty-locks.

Hi Paul, I have an SKB 6u roller. It's great! Contains power conditioner, Axe-Fx, MFC, Exp. Pedal, all needed cables, and my stage clothes, and it rolls! Also good handles for those "stairs" situations. Only thing is the rear door is a little cheap with its twisty-locks.

Thanks Eric, I figured a rolling rack was the way to go I'm sick of carry gear a long way through some go the venues I play.

I have 4U, 6U and 8U SKB rollers for exhibition gear. They're a bit heavier than you might imagine but seem to be indestructible. I use a 4U for the AFX, Matrix 1000 and an interface panel and there is just the right amount of depth.

Back
Top Bottom