Rack Amp

You certainly can plug the AxeFX into any guitar amp. One of the things worth noting is that the AxeFX is modeling everything : guitar amps, effects, guitar cabinets, and the microphones being used on those cabinets. So effectively, the AxeFX is giving you a fully realized experience, which is suitable for full-range amplification, or for plugging into a recording console.
Now, if you want to amplify that signal, you can take that full-range output and just plug it into a regular guitar amp. But you should keep in mind that (1) every guitar amp will have its own sonic personality, so that will change the sound of your modeled signal (2) guitar speaker cabinets also have their own sonic personality, so they will also change the sound of your modeled signal and (3) guitar cabinet speakers generally are not full-range, so that will also change your sound by limiting high frequencies and exaggerating others. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have those components alter your sound, but it means your final tone will always be shaped by your guitar amp, no matter how good it is.
Many AxeFX users go with a FRFR (full-range, flat-reponse) amplifier / speaker approach. This means you would use one (or more) flat-response speakers cabinet(s), with a flat-response power amp (either rack mounted or built into the cabinet). My touring system consists of the AxeFX, a Carvin full-range power amp, and a pair of Euphonic VL110 full-range cabinets. I also have a Xitone 1x12 full-range monitor wedge that I use for smaller gigs. When I'm building tones at home, I just use a pair of FRFR studio monitors. For tracking in the studio, I just plug the AxeFX straight into the board.
I recommend trying the studio monitor approach. You don't have to spend a lot on your monitors, but do make a point of getting a pair of powered monitors that have fairly neutral tone, and are capable of delivering a good sound at your practice volume. That way you can shape your tones in the AxeFX knowing that what you're hearing isn't being colored by the characteristics of an external guitar amp or its speakers. You can also use a good pair of studio headphones, but look for a pair that is designed for fairly flat response; most consumer headphones have exaggerated bass response.
More than anything, experiment with the AxeFX, and play play play! Welcome to the fun!

thanks for the advice...well written..
thanks to the others who helped me get up to speed so that I could understand the concept.
I always think its funny when you go to the doctors and he asks you what's wrong...I don't understand enough about it to be able to accurately describe to you what is going on in order to be helpful for you to diagnose me.. It's like giving the doctor a toenail and asking him why your ill.

Your post brings my lack of understanding to the surface. Your response makes me think of an amp head. What am I missing?
The stack consists of the Cabinet of speakers and the amp head. So there isn't enough power in the axes built in amp...it has a built in amp...
But why wouldn't the axe plug into the amp head to power it like a guitar amp?
You can do that. It's called Four Cable Method, or 4CM. The big thing about that is turning off power amp sims and cab sims. There's lots of videos on how to do that and the manual explains it well.

When I look online, I see the Fractal Axe FX in a rack case...and with it there is another piece of equiptement...things like the Matrix GT-500FX, or the Atomic SLR-400. I went to the Matrix web site, and there are two tabs to choose from ..guitar amps and rack amps..so I thought they were called rack amps
Now I understand. As Chris said, those are power amps that just happen to be rack-mountable. Loudspeakers need a strong signal. Power amps amplify the signal so it's strong enough to drive the speaker.

Things like home stereo systems and traditional guitar amps already have a power amp built in.

And.....you CAN use your Axe Fx without an amp OR speakers.....just plug in your headphones to the front panel and have at it......sometimes that saves marriages and lease agreements.....

And.....you CAN use your Axe Fx without an amp OR speakers.....just plug in your headphones to the front panel and have at it......sometimes that saves marriages and lease agreements.....

Absolutely..
I need to get a nice pair of headphones to start. Use my existing amp for now...and take my time with the speakers. Going to be painful..but I am tapped out in the gear department at the moment

Absolutely..
I need to get a nice pair of headphones to start. Use my existing amp for now...and take my time with the speakers. Going to be painful..but I am tapped out in the gear department at the moment
Certainly....put your amp on clean....run a mono line out of the Axe to it's input...change the Axe to mono out....and that will work for now......it's not perfect and "high end" yet.....but you'll get there in time....take your time on speakers.....I wish I had taken more time.....now I'm wasting money upgrading in a short period of time.....read a lot on here before you make big decisions....

1000w is overkill for my home personal use
I was looking at the k10..but still they are 1000w
Nice thing about high-powered amps: you can always turn them down. :)

For the record, you'll never get 1000 watts out of a 1000-watt powered speaker. They use two identical 500-watt amps: one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. The tweeter amp will only be called on to deliver a fraction of that power, because that's how audio is.

+1 on the studio monitor approach. You can find great sounding monitors for not a lot of $, they will reveal to you the sonic diversity and incredible capabilities of the Axe FX 2, and you will love how they sound when you play through them. Enjoy!

Also, remember this: every one of us has figured things out by asking, experimenting, scratching our heads, and digging through the forum / wiki / manuals. Always feel free to ask questions here on the forum. The Fractal community is a good resource.

In your situation - ie playing at home only - you want a pair of studio monitors as has been mentioned.

Anything from 5" speakers such as the Adam A5X (which I use in a small room) which can have a Sub added for a 2.1 system if the low end is lacking for you - up to 8" speakers such as the Dynaudio BM12 which would probably not need a sub. There are also 6" and 7" speakers available as well.

You can spend anything from $200 to $2000+ on monitors, so pick the best you can afford - but if thats $500 woull still get the best sound - and in stereo - that you can in a home environment. Personally Id spend less than your budget if you opt for 5" or 6" drivers in case you need a sub. - but that will depend on how loud you want to play and how bog/small you room is. I dont use a sub with my 5" monitors.

Nice thing about high-powered amps: you can always turn them down. :)

For the record, you'll never get 1000 watts out of a 1000-watt powered speaker. They use two identical 500-watt amps: one for the woofer and one for the tweeter. The tweeter amp will only be called on to deliver a fraction of that power, because that's how audio is.
Yeah I can run the K12 to where I can barely hear it if I want to.

I highly recommend a powered CLR or other powered FRFR wedge or cab for your application. Keeps it simple, convenient, and no sacrifice in quality or clarity. You can play it quietly, or turn it up a bit if your needs evolve.

I went with a pair of CLR'S but now that I've had a couple years and tried a bunch of other things, I found that a solid state power amp into a pair of full range speakers sounds just as good and costs less than 1/2.

I've also got a behringer x32 and I multitracked all my bands rehearsals and gigs so lately I just self practice by playing back those, less my guitar track and vocal track and just use my IEM's.

It's funny how so many people buy with thier eyes and thier wallets... I mean some companies are selling the exact same spec hardware for double to triple because they are "boutique" or "FRFR modeling designed."

Anyways. Like everything else these days, if you buy on impulse without spending some time you will most likely be paying more for a name than quality or feature set.

YMMV

If you go with a power amp then the cabinet you select will colorize the sound and you should turn off any Cab simulations if you use guitar cabs. Some like that (let's say they are V30 fanatics.) Then again you could get the same with Cab IR simulations. I doubt many purchase a power amp and a clean speaker, might as well get a self-powered speaker.

OP, another route you may consider: If you plan on doing any recording (since you say you play at home exclusively) consider instead the purchase of quality powered "studio monitors". Something along the lines of say Mackie HR824's or similar quality near field reference monitors can serve as both a powered (and rather exceptional) sound reinforcement for your AxeFX as well as serving your PC DAW recording/monitoring/reference needs. Basically two birds with one stone for the home/recording musician until funds and/or desires (aka G.A.S.) require you to expand in the future.

The Axe can serve as your system's audio interface (for recording/monitoring) until you later expand. All you'd need to get started is a couple of quality matched full range, flat reference monitors and two quality XLR cables (for connecting the Axe to each powered monitor). Later invest in a quality DAW software package of your choosing and you have yourself the beginnings of a complete home recording solution.

Just a thought. Rock on.

Buy yourself a nice pair the of headphones. I use the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250 with the Axe and am very happy.

Back
Top Bottom