RAC12

I would say yes, unless someone updates the firmware on that. The Axe 3 will have a new ID that the RAC12 won't recognize and then it's a question if Axe 3 sends data in the same SysEx format as the Axe-Fx 2.

I guess I will still use the RAC to send midi-CCs to the ext ctrl slots. I controlled all kind of midi-IAs, delay mix, reverb mix and time and some global eqs and some grouped volumes that way when I didn't want to connect a footcontroller. Since effects that are assigned to an ext ctrl can't get switched by hand you always need a midi controller. A menu where you can just turn the values of the ext ctrls is missing.
Also I don't know another rack solution for midi-CCs.

All I ever wanted it to control was basic amp settings, so it only controlled the settings on the III that are actually labeled on the face of the RAC12, that would be great. I would think that should fit into the memory. @AlGrenadine is that possible? I would gladly pay for that.

All I ever wanted it to control was basic amp settings, so it only controlled the settings on the III that are actually labeled on the face of the RAC12, that would be great. I would think that should fit into the memory. @AlGrenadine is that possible? I would gladly pay for that.
I'm sorry, the RAC12 memory is full and the AxeFx III's protocol is very different and has yet to be understood fully...

Too much work and still the III protocol unknown

I understand it would be a lot of work to decode the protocol & all but there is obviously interest for people who have bought the unit & if it was a paid upgrade maybe it would be worthwhile if enough people were interested. Just a thought.

When connecting the RAC to the III (only to use it for midi-CCs) the RAC tries to start a two way communication with the axe-fx on and on and it takes some time until it finally gives up and the page with the midi controls appears. After that it works as intended.

Is there anything I can do, to stop it from trying to establish a two way communication and show up the page with the midi-CCs at once?

I don't know any other midi rack gear that is able to send midi-CCs, so the RAC is my only solution for that purpose. I'd be happy to find something else with this ability.

When fractal releases the performance mode for III, I'm sure that you could use some function that RAC offers

Exactly, if FAS provides a screen where you can freely assign the front panel knobs to parameters of your choice, ideally with several pages or banks, there would be very little need for external hardware, at least for a majority of needs.

As such, I can’t see it making good business sense to devote the time and resources required to update the unit, when likely few people would buy it or upgrade it. It would probably end up losing money.

I think it was a product that served its time, but as the technology advances, and new features become implemented, the need for some hardware becomes obsolete.

Case in point, I used to run a little mixer with my II for the routings I needed. Now the III with all its pairs of I/O totally negated the need for the mixer.

@FractalAudio Hey Cliff, is Fractal ever going to release some kind of Axe-Fx control extension like the RAC12?

I'd be first in line to buy one if so.

Why would they do this when the III already has encoders built in and seemingly will have an update for an assignable performance mode ?

Not to knock Al’s fine product in any way, but he built that exact thing, it sold well enough to a limited number of customers, and now it’s gone kind of obsolete.

Why would FAS want to put the time and effort into duplicating something that already exist, and which in itself had a limited market and largely has been negated obsolete by the latest modeler?

If they would of done it, the time to have done it was a few years ago, when the II’s were still new technology and there was a small, but decent market for such a product.

Well, we had the ABCD encoders on the II and they never became performance knobs. So the RAC12 was a good invest and it was right to spend some time with the external controllers so I had build my own performance controls.

Now it's one knob more and 16 instead of 12 external controllers...again the handles are missing. Will they come?

Back
Top Bottom