RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Al...
I'm a bit confused about "pages" in the RAC12/RAC Edit.
What i know is that I have 16 pages with knobs and switches.
Now I see that there are 700+ pages in the pages dialog-box ...and... what the "page count" feature stand for?
How can I use all that pages? and how can I use the page count?
TNX

Well just see pages as different sets of parameters that each knob/switch can control.
So for instance, when you boot your RAC12 for the first time you'll be on the AMP page that controls basic amp parameters like Bass/Medium/Treble etc...
Then if you move the next page it will be Advanced Amp parameters then next page will be Cab block parameters.
But this can be configured in a total different behavior, just as it matches your needs.

For the Page Mapping dialog, when "Page mapping" function is enabled the RAC12 will automatically recall a pre-selected page when a perticular preset is recalled on the AxeFx, that's the 700+ thing it's the preset number, then at its right the corresponding Page to be recalled.

The page count is a new parameter that's been asked by one of our customers. It just limits the number of pages. So it's faster to cycle thry 4 pages for instance if you only use 4 pages, than thru the maximum 16 pages limit. But if you still wanna have total control of your blocks 16 pages will be needed.

I hope this helps.

For the Page Mapping dialog, when "Page mapping" function is enabled the RAC12 will automatically recall a pre-selected page when a perticular preset is recalled on the AxeFx, that's the 700+ thing it's the preset number, then at its right the corresponding Page to be recalled.
can't figure out this!
So in page mapping mode... the RAC12 read the preset # selected on the Axe and load 1 single page (of 16) corresponding to that preset #?
But... if RAC12 can read the preset# selected on the Axe... so why not to think to a "preset# mode"?
In "preset# mode" the RAC12 load a bulk of 16 (preprogrammed) pages with the right block parametres like the chain of blocks that are in that specific preset# on the Axe!
Say you have in the Axe a preset# 001 with COMP>WHA>DRIVE>AMP>CAB>DELAY>REV and preset# 002 with COMP>PHASER>DRIVE>AMP>CAB>CHORUS>DELAY>REV... so when you select preset# 001 on the Axe the RAC12 load the 001 "bulk#" of pages (say COMP>WHA>DRIVE>AMP>>AMP ADV>CAB>DELAY>REV" preprogrammed with RAC12Edit), and when you select preset# 002 on the Axe the RAC12 drop all the previous pages and load the #002 bulk of pages (i.e COMP>PHASER>DRIVE>AMP>AMP_ADV>CAB>CHORUS>DELAY>REV)
THIS would be nice!!!

Yes but that would need 10 times actual RAC12 memory ;)
yeah... gotchya!
obiously i'm not in the fine things of the RAC12 project... but - just saying in abstract - if i can pre-program over 700 single pages with knobs and switches for the page mapping feature... i think that this is the more memory load!
Than... it's only a matter of logic "grouping" max 16 of those pages... a kind of little script like:
PRESET# PAGES# GROUPED
===========================
001 1-34-26-78-456-65-44-89-74-11-56-47-33-21 [16 max]
002 5-3-87-99-484-23 [16 max]
... and so on

Hi Al...
... no music today!
I just wanna give to you my best and strong hug for all the brothers and sisters in France!
I'm just crying... thinking those ppl... those boys and girls in the music club... Jesus Christ!!!
We love you and we are with all you ppl!

Hello,
I recently acquired a RAC12 MkI and am very pleased. What a nice piece of equipment that does what its supposed to do with no hassle everything worked perfectly and easily first hook up and power up! My question is it possible to modify it to a MkII with some wire rerouting to get the 2 way communication or is it a hardware and software thing. That's my only complaint is that I cannot have it and my MMGT midi pedal hooked up at the same time and have to switch my midi cables constantly. Also was wondering if a midi merger might solve the problem.
Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the kind words.
It's a hardware difference so it can't be modified to become a mkII.
Anyway, you can connect mmgt's midi out to RAC12 merge port and axefx's out to mmgt in. The rac12 can communicate with a single 5 pins wired cable connected between axefx's in and rac12's out.

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the kind words.
It's a hardware difference so it can't be modified to become a mkII.
Anyway, you can connect mmgt's midi out to RAC12 merge port and axefx's out to mmgt in. The rac12 can communicate with a single 5 pins wired cable connected between axefx's in and rac12's out.
Yeah, I figured that would do it but I really like having just a single cable to run on stage to my midi pedal.
Was wondering if this would work.. http://www.midisolutions.com/prodmrg.htm
Thanks,
Gary

Great, I saw that diagram but I thought it was only for the MarkII.
I am very handy with the soldering iron so I will build one of those and give it a try.

I built one to use with my LF+ JR+ when I first got my RAC12. It works great. I also included a switch for the phantom power jack, for when I want to turn off the midi controller without unplugging the 7 pin cable. The version I built has the midi leads simply soldered directly to the 7 pin connector, so I could fit it all in a small 64x58x35mm enclosure. I mounted it at the top rear corner of my rack using a trimmed down piece of cheap rack panel, next to a pass through for the Axe-Fx's USB connection.

IMG_2113a_zpsuh5eh2dd.jpg

IMG_2116_zpsjeiufjwt.jpg

Very Nice, Where did you get that little box everything is mounted on and the parts, and also if I understand you basically have cut the ends off some short midi plugs for the axe midi out and the RAC merge and soldered the appropriate leads to the 7 pin midi plug.
Thanks for the tips appreciate it
Gary

Very Nice, Where did you get that little box everything is mounted on and the parts

I got the aluminium box locally, it's the size often used for a single tap tempo button. Similar to this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Sealed-...939945?hash=item1e887d6c29:g:Hc4AAOxyXzxTIJUq

I had all the parts lying around already from a stomp box building phase I went through years ago. The DC power jack and switch were probably from a local electronics store or eBay. I believe I got that particular 7 pin din/MIDI socket in an order from Redco.com for about $5. They have cheaper ($0.70) Neutrik/Rean sockets that are fine too, just a different mounting style.
http://www.redco.com/Redco-931351-517.html
http://www.redco.com/Rean-Neutrik-NYS326.html

The box is mounted on the rack panel with standard chassis mount screws and nuts. I JB-Welded nuts to the inside of the enclosure, so it screws on and off the panel very easily.
http://www.redco.com/Redco-4C50MXFCUC.html
http://www.redco.com/Redco-4CNKECTZ.html

also if I understand you basically have cut the ends off some short midi plugs for the axe midi out and the RAC merge and soldered the appropriate leads to the 7 pin midi plug.

Yep. I just chopped an old 5 pin midi lead in half and wired it to the 7 pin socket. Extra strain relief was provided for those connections by circling the inside of the enclosure with the new leads, locking them under the other components before they exit the box. This way nothing moves and there is no pressure on the solder joints of the 7 pin din socket.

Can someone who recently purchased a RAC-12 in the US let me know what the total cost was? Are there any extra duties or taxes that I need to be aware of? I'm in the Seattle area. Thanks ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom