RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to change the hole size on the knobs a 6mm reamer will give better results than a 6mm bit. Here's an example

6mm Cutting Diameter 6 Blades HSS Machine Reamer Milling Cutter | eBay

These don't cut as aggressively as a bit and have a flat end so it's easy to get a good fit. Reamers do cost more than bits, the one I've linked to is comparatively inexpensive . They can usually be found locally at any machine shop supply.

Thank you for the suggestion- using a reamer would be prudent.

nice! Where did you buy those knobs?
Jeff

Thank you. Though I ordered and installed the following at an unreasonably low expense:

4pcs Heavy Black Electric Guitar Bronze Dome Knobs

caveat emptor- these knobs may not fit due to seemingly inherent manufacturing defects. You may discover that additional reaming is necessary (as I did). Note: the set screws were non-functional as delivered; I bored new holes in the shaft receptacle to facilitate...

I asked this question a while back but got no response. Now I change scene 1 with amp1 X to say scene 2
with amp1 Y if I press the foot controller twice on the same scene it updates the settings, then again two clicks
on the controller to go back to scene 1 with amp1 X.
It does not work on the ax alone. ( at the moment).
Maybe that is a work around.
My foot controller is a fcb 1010
G

That's not the same as what I'm trying to do. I'm switching from Amp 1 X to Amp 2 X between scenes (2 amp blocks to avoid the slight dropout with X/Y switching) whereas you're just switching between X and Y in a single amp block.

For what it's worth though, I set up a patch like yours with a single amp, X on scene 1, Y on scene 2 to see if my LF+ JR+ controller behaves the same as your FCB1010. This is the behaviour I have:

1. Load preset, scene 1 using amp 1 X. RAC12 displays AMP1 X parameters and the knobs affect Amp1 X.
2. Change to scene 2 using amp 1 Y with single foot button press. RAC12 display does not update parameters. X values are still displayed.
3. Move a knob while on scene 2 and that parameter will jump from its Y value to its X value before moving. When the knob finishes turning, that parameter is updated, but all others still display amp 1 X values.
4. Change back to scene 1. Amp 1 X is active again, but the display still shows the previous combo of edited Y knob value and X parameters. Move that same knob again and it jumps to the Y value before moving.

Not sure what your controller is doing with the 2 click thing. A second click has no effect for me. Changing scenes from the front panel of the Axe-Fx has the exact same behaviour.

Hi Alex,
I noticed another X/Y issue. When I'm editing the cab block and see the cab name on the axe-fx displayed and I use the RAC's X/Y function the amp name get's displayed by the axe-fx instead of the cab name. Weird.
The X/Y function switches the first block of the page, so if you mix different block types in your page that should explain...

Regarding X/Y

This works if the scenes are saved that way, however the new Y values display as RED indicating the RAC12 thinks they have been edited, when they haven’t. They’re just the saved Y version of the block. Also, if you then return to the scene with the saved X state of the block, nothing on the RAC12 updates from the red Y values.

Possible scene display bug in firmware 1.0.4:

Steps to reproduce:

1. Recall a saved Axe-Fx patch. This should load scene 1 by default. (Unless you've changed I/O -> MIDI -> MAP TO SCENE to something other than 1.)
2. Change to another scene, e.g. scene 3.
3. The display on the RAC12 will show S3 in the upper right corner.
4. Change to another Axe-Fx patch, making scene 1 is active again.
5. The RAC12 still shows S3 and will continue to do so until another scene is specifically recalled.
I can't replicate the first behaviour, when moving from a scene that is on block X valueset to a scene that has block on Y valueset the values are correctly changed and displayed in white here.
The scene number bug is corrected in next release ;)

Hi Alex,
I noticed another X/Y issue. When I'm editing the cab block and see the cab name on the axe-fx displayed and I use the RAC's X/Y function the amp name get's displayed by the axe-fx instead of the cab name. Weird.
Could not replicate : Using default config on CAB page, switching X/Y works as expected here. I think you have a page mixing AMP and CAB parameters maybe ? Please send your config file if this is the case ;)

Could not replicate : Using default config on CAB page, switching X/Y works as expected here. I think you have a page mixing AMP and CAB parameters maybe ? Please send your config file if this is the case ;)

No, I don't have any cab entries there. That's odd.
I can replicate it even on never touched factory presets.
I go to the cab in the grid, it's displaying Factory 47, hit X/y on the RAC, now the cab shows as 59 Bassguy, hit X/Y again, now the cab is named Euro Red.

Hi guys, quick question - is it necessary/recommended to unplug the Rac12 when upgrading firmware on the Axe, as with the MFC?

The scene number bug is corrected in next release ;)

Thanks! :)

I can't replicate the first behaviour, when moving from a scene that is on block X valueset to a scene that has block on Y valueset the values are correctly changed and displayed in white here.

After a little more investigating, that particular behaviour happens to me the first time a patch is recalled after saving. I can reproduce it like this:

1. Create a new preset with only an amp block in the grid.
2. Go to scene 2, select the amp block, hit EDIT and then Y to change amp to its Y state.
3. (Optional) Turn all the knobs on the first tab of the Y state to 10, so it's really obvious which state is Y and which is X.
4. Save the preset.
5. Change to another preset and back again to reload the preset. The RAC12 displays correct scene 1 X values in white.
6. Use the A knob on the Axe-Fx to change to scene 2. The RAC12 displays Y values (mostly 10's if you followed step 3) but in RED. It also shows the 'E' edited symbol in the top left, but the preset hasn't actually been edited. The edit light on the Axe-Fx is not lit.
7. Use the A knob on the Axe-Fx to change back to scene 1. The red Y values from scene 2 remain.
8. Slowly turn an RAC knob. Its parameter starts changing from the Y value, even though the X state of the amp is active.

Hopefully that is reproducible for you!

Hi guys, quick question - is it necessary/recommended to unplug the Rac12 when upgrading firmware on the Axe, as with the MFC?

it's recommended like the mfc to disconnect all midi devices when you upgrade your AFX fw. especially with AFX2. (XL is more secure on eeprom flashing backup.)

After a little more investigating, that particular behaviour happens to me the first time a patch is recalled after saving. I can reproduce it like this:

1. Create a new preset with only an amp block in the grid.
2. Go to scene 2, select the amp block, hit EDIT and then Y to change amp to its Y state.
3. (Optional) Turn all the knobs on the first tab of the Y state to 10, so it's really obvious which state is Y and which is X.
4. Save the preset.
5. Change to another preset and back again to reload the preset. The RAC12 displays correct scene 1 X values in white.
6. Use the A knob on the Axe-Fx to change to scene 2. The RAC12 displays Y values (mostly 10's if you followed step 3) but in RED. It also shows the 'E' edited symbol in the top left, but the preset hasn't actually been edited. The edit light on the Axe-Fx is not lit.
7. Use the A knob on the Axe-Fx to change back to scene 1. The red Y values from scene 2 remain.
8. Slowly turn an RAC knob. Its parameter starts changing from the Y value, even though the X state of the amp is active.

Hopefully that is reproducible for you!
Thanks npx, but it still does not produce the bug here.
By the way i have found another potential bug that may be related, when you don't use the MFC101, is it your case ?

No, I don't have any cab entries there. That's odd.
I can replicate it even on never touched factory presets.
I go to the cab in the grid, it's displaying Factory 47, hit X/y on the RAC, now the cab shows as 59 Bassguy, hit X/Y again, now the cab is named Euro Red.

On the fcb 1010 I tried using a pc change and a cc together and got a similar response.
In all fairness I havnt really got a clue what I am doing, just trying things out.
It wont be long before all these bits and pieces get sorted as the unit is probably
capable of a million more things.
G

Has anyone successfully connected RAC12 usb to a Mac yet? I can't seem to do it. Never had USB issues before on anything, really. Tried on my iMac running 10.10.2, and also on a MacBook Air running 10.9.2 with no luck.

Also, what is the correct procedure to connect to the software? The manual doesn't really lay that out (I'm sure it's simple), but when having problems as I am, I wanted to verify in the manual, and it does not say. Is just USB cord from RAC to Computer OK? Should power also be supplied? Can it be plugged into Axe MIDI at the same time? I first tried with just USB only,. no dice. Tried with AXE, no luck. The RAC Edit software simply doesn't see it no matter how I try to connect.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I feel stupid trying to do a simple thing. :lol

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone successfully connected RAC12 usb to a Mac yet? I can't seem to do it. Never had USB issues before on anything, really. Tried on my iMac running 10.10.2, and also on a MacBook Air running 10.9.2 with no luck.

Also, what is the correct procedure to connect to the software? The manual doesn't really lay that out (I'm sure it's simple), but when having problems as I am, I wanted to verify in the manual, and it does not say. Is just USB cord from RAC to Computer OK? Should power also be supplied? Can it be plugged into Axe MIDI at the same time? I first tried with just USB only,. no dice. Tried with AXE, no luck. The RAC Edit software simply doesn't see it no matter how I try to connect.

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I feel stupid trying to do a simple thing. :lol

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, running with a Mac (latest OS X) with no issues. I have midi connected to the Axe Fx 2 and usb connected to the mac. No issues what so ever. Just started Rac edit and it found the RAC12 directly.

iMac running 10.9.5 here. Just plug the RAC12 into a USB port using the provided cable. The RAC12 can draw power over USB, so no need for the power adapter, but it doesn't matter if it's still plugged in. Connect before you open the software, otherwise it might not show up. If the software is already open when you plug in, restarting it should help it connect. That's been my experience anyway. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom