RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I confirm the picture is right, the diameter of the shaft encoders is 6mm with D shape.
Also 1/4" diameter can be mounted but only with a screw built in knobs

Yes, 6mm is nearly 1/4" but not quite... I suspect that these knobs were manufactured inaccurately. At any rate, following the ream, utilizing the set screw was critical. I may order new knobs and a 6mm bit.

Thank you. Upon attempting to mount the replacement knobs, I encountered a fair bit of resistance; as I was concerned that applying force would damage the encoders, I reamed each knob with a 1/4" bit. Ordering replacement amp knobs or utilizing a 6mm bit would have been preferable...

Thanks for the info!

RAC12 1.0.4 is online :)
1.0.4:
- Bypass parameter now also works when assigned to a knob.
- Small value changes now use 0.05 step (nomore 0.04 that was due to hardware ticks)
- Moving slowly a knob once only shows the parameter's value, subsequent moves still adjust the value.
- MIDI CC channel can now be configured in RAC12Edit
- Knob zoom screen now displays Logarithmic values correctly (Trim at 1.00 is at noon by example)

As usual, just launch RAC12Edit with your RAC12 connected and it will update both RAC12Edit and firmware ;)

PS : This is probably the last firmware to be compatible with 17.04, next versions will be built against 18.00. That does not mean they won't work with fw<18.00, just some parameters that Cliff removed in 18.00+ will not be there in 17.04 ;)

Hi Alex!
New idea: What if the knobs could be programmed the way, that when I push a knob, it opens the edit window for a different parameter, so I could edit it's value by turning the knob.
Depth knob controls depth, when I push it, it allows editing depth freq for a short moment.
Gain knob controls gain, when I push it, it allows editing trim for a short moment.
I don't know, if that is possible, but there's some parameters where it would make sense.

Hi Alex!
New idea: What if the knobs could be programmed the way, that when I push a knob, it opens the edit window for a different parameter, so I could edit it's value by turning the knob.
Depth knob controls depth, when I push it, it allows editing depth freq for a short moment.
Gain knob controls gain, when I push it, it allows editing trim for a short moment.
I don't know, if that is possible, but there's some parameters where it would make sense.
As Yek said, it's been added in firmware 1.0.2 if i remember correctly ;)
You just have to assign Depth freq to depth knob switch function and voilà ;)

I’m playing around with v1.0.4 and like everyone else, I’m really enjoying having these dedicated controls to grab! I’m very much looking forward to going on a new patch making binge when I upgrade to FW18. The choice of main amp parameters on the front panel also makes more sense now that Cliff has posted a pic of the AX8. ;)

After fiddling around for a while though, I have a wish that I think would add substantially to ease of use with amp blocks in certain situations.

Would it be possible to implement an RAC12 AMP page that is dynamic, in that it could automatically display controls for AMP 1 or AMP 2 depending on the instance that is active in the current Axe-Fx scene?
If both amp blocks happened to be active in a scene, it could default to AMP 1, or possibly a page containing a few controls for each amp, just enough for you to know they're both ON!

Many of my patches contain 2 amps, usually one clean and the other dirty. They’re never on simultaneously, and I switch between them with scenes. At the moment, because you need to actually open an amp block in the Axe-Fx grid before you can tell if it is AMP 1 or AMP 2, my workflow with the RAC12 often ends up being this:

1. Recall Axe-Fx preset.
2. Turn knob on RAC12 AMP page. No audible result. Realise Amp 2 must be active on the Axe-Fx preset/scene and I’ve just made changes to Amp 1 that I can’t return back to default easily. (More on this in a moment!)
3. Change to next Axe-Fx preset and back again to start from saved values.
4. Change page on RAC12 to one controlling Amp 2.
5. Tweak things I can actually hear! :lol

I think having an intelligent AMP page on the RAC12 would be extremely useful! :D

Elaborating on what I eluded to at the end of step 2 above:

Unless a parameter on the Axe-Fx is saved at maximum, such as a Master Volume on 10, it seems you can’t return a knob to its exact original setting very easily. I know v1.0.4 changed the parameter adjustment step to 0.05 (from 0.04) which is a start, but unless you get lucky when you slow the knob down and find it is moving form .05 to .10 with a single move, (as opposed to .07 to .12 for example) you’ll have to fiddle around a few times to get it exactly right. Now I’m sure as hell not going to be able to HEAR the difference between a MID knob set at 4.98 vs 5.03, but if I originally had it set to 5.00, the OCD in me would really like the option of getting it back there quickly! Especially if the parameter was a delay time or something. I know other users have already requested a way to tell when a saved parameter is returned to, and I'd like to add a +1 to that!

I can't wait to see how this firmware evolves. You guys are off to a great start! :encouragement:

Oh, a couple of bug-ish things I’ve noticed:

Regarding X/Y

Actually, changing scene from the RAC12 or your pedal controller or the AxeFX, updates the values of the current block, so if the block moves from X to Y on a particular scene, you'll see the new values.

This works if the scenes are saved that way, however the new Y values display as RED indicating the RAC12 thinks they have been edited, when they haven’t. They’re just the saved Y version of the block. Also, if you then return to the scene with the saved X state of the block, nothing on the RAC12 updates from the red Y values.

Possible scene display bug in firmware 1.0.4:

Steps to reproduce:

1. Recall a saved Axe-Fx patch. This should load scene 1 by default. (Unless you've changed I/O -> MIDI -> MAP TO SCENE to something other than 1.)
2. Change to another scene, e.g. scene 3.
3. The display on the RAC12 will show S3 in the upper right corner.
4. Change to another Axe-Fx patch, making scene 1 is active again.
5. The RAC12 still shows S3 and will continue to do so until another scene is specifically recalled.

The automatic amp is already there, try it ;)
But it's only when the block is absent, the rac12 moves to next instznce.
I can't see a way to do what you ask, it could be a problem not beeing able to adjust a bypassed block...

Last edited:
The automatic amp is already there, try it ;)

Hmm, clearly I'm missing something then! :? Do I have to enable it or reconfigure something in the editor? At the moment if I switch from a scene with Amp 1 to a scene with Amp 2, the only way I can get the unit to display Amp 2 controls is to press the LEVEL button to trigger the Next Instance function. There's nothing automatic about it.

I can't see anything that explains how to do this in the manual.

If the Axe-Fx preset has Amp 2 in it as the ONLY amp block, then the controls for Amp 2 are automatically displayed on the RAC12. Perhaps this is where the confusion lies? I'm talking per SCENE with 2 amp blocks, not per preset with a single amp block.

Yes, see my edit in original answer;)
When you switch scenes both amp block are there, some may be bypassed but if i ask the bypass states to the axefx there will be audio dropouts probably as the axefx is very sensible on that...

I asked this question a while back but got no response. Now I change scene 1 with amp1 X to say scene 2
with amp1 Y if I press the foot controller twice on the same scene it updates the settings, then again two clicks
on the controller to go back to scene 1 with amp1 X.
It does not work on the ax alone. ( at the moment).
Maybe that is a work around.
My foot controller is a fcb 1010
G

Hi Alex,
I noticed another X/Y issue. When I'm editing the cab block and see the cab name on the axe-fx displayed and I use the RAC's X/Y function the amp name get's displayed by the axe-fx instead of the cab name. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom