RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got mine yesterday no. 35 uhhhh!!!!

It is a fantastic useful piece of kit which makes the tweaking of the AXE FX much more fun, easier and faster. The pots work faster and have a better response than the one on the AXE. I assume as they are bigger and have a nice grip, that does the trick.

12 knobs with a switch each is fantastic useful and a great addition for someone who wants to have the job fast done with the feel and access of a real amp.

The display is very crisp and the overview page is very useful.
The unit looks ridged built, I always like to look inside but two warranty seals stopped me from doing so , haha.

I plugged it in and found myself nonstop playing and tweaking over several hours. Some of you don´t find it essential to have direct access to the majority of controls, but it is important for me and always puts me off when I see units with one big dial and plenty of push buttons.

A big thank you to Alex & Seb for their development. This unit can probably be programmed to control other modeller or FX processors? Just a thought.
The software rac12edit is easy to use and changes to the controls can be programmed into the unit quickly.

I plugged it in and it asked me to update to the latest firmware version 1.0.2, which worked with no problems.

Some constructive criticism ;)
- The unit is missing a power switch; not everybody controls the whole rack with a main switch.
- Following above, can the RAC12 not turn off / stand by when the AXE FX powers off. No impulse from the AXE ---> RAC12 switches to stand by. Just a thought.
- I was warned that I will not get a UK compliant AC-adapter, but the wire length of the EU adapter is far too short. Not very suitable for a large rack.
- Same with the usb wire. Just the right length to charge my phone, but far too short to reach a computer. The RAC12 is not deep and all the wire disappears to reach the back of the housing.
- The USB connection is a Micro USB connector, which is very fragile and not easy to plug in to while the RAC12 sits in the rack. I understand that through the USB wire the unit can be powered as well, but is this really necessary? A proper standard sized USB port would give everybody hope of a long unit life.

Checking out the new firmware now.

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Excellence defined:
attachment.php
Nice knobs :)

One question, it might have been answered before, but I do n't remember it.
Is the RAC12 receiving the sysex midi messages that fractalbot or AE transmit or is that a different data stream? Is there any known risk when I use AE or Fbot while the RAC is connected?

Hi Great unit. Are we going to get a forum page dedicated to sorting out setup problems and ideas.
I have say.. amp 1 X setting on scene 1 and amp 1 Y setting on scene 2. I would like the unit to display automaticly
the relevant X and Y settings as I change scenes backwards and forwards.
Another thought is can an additional larger display IE kindle, be plugged into the mini usb.
( I have bad eyes).
And an up and down scroll bar on the rac edit page as I need to use 600 x 800 . the full page
will not fit.
Thanks
G

For some reason the update didn't work here.
I was on 1.0.1 (both hardware and software) and Rac12Edit updated itself to 1.0.3 automaticly but not the device. Now Rac12Edit tells me: "Check for updates : No update found". The device is still on 1.0.1, the software is on 1.0.3 and the communication between software and device doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: False alarm, it suddenly worked... probably a webserver hickup? :)

Last edited:
My RAC12 arrived a couple days ago, but I’ve been flat out with gigs and haven’t had a chance to plug it in at all until just now. I’ve updated the firmware and I’ll report back with my thoughts when I’ve had a decent play with it, but I just wanted to report some good news:

I've wired up a little box based on the TC Electronics Y cable wiring I posted on page 29 of this thread, also adding phantom power on pins 6 + 7 of the single end and it works great. :encouragement:

I’m using a LF+ JR+ and getting bidirectional data (i.e. sending data, plus receiving tap tempo, tuner, dynamic IA info etc) successfully with a single 7 pin MIDI cable to the splitter.

Here’s a clearer layout of how to wire one up and connect it if you wanna DIY:

7%20Pin%20Phantom%20RAC12%20Midi%20Split_zpsicg35k65.jpg

My RAC12 arrived a couple days ago, but I’ve been flat out with gigs and haven’t had a chance to plug it in at all until just now. I’ve updated the firmware and I’ll report back with my thoughts when I’ve had a decent play with it, but I just wanted to report some good news:

I've wired up a little box based on the TC Electronics Y cable wiring I posted on page 29 of this thread, also adding phantom power on pins 6 + 7 of the single end and it works great. :encouragement:

I’m using a LF+ JR+ and getting bidirectional data (i.e. sending data, plus receiving tap tempo, tuner, dynamic IA info etc) successfully with a single 7 pin MIDI cable to the splitter.

Here’s a clearer layout of how to wire one up and connect it if you wanna DIY:

7%20Pin%20Phantom%20RAC12%20Midi%20Split_zpsicg35k65.jpg

Nice ! :)
Could i use your picture in the manual ?

Got mine early this week and did not get a chance to plug it in until today. This thing works just as billed and although I am a big axe edit fan this thing really makes doing quick edits so much easier. I was programming patches for tomorrows gig and did so in record time today with both the RAC12 and Axe Edit running at the same time. I was on the fence about this one and am really glad I went for it when my name came up!

Thank you. A slight hassle to install, as I ordered an incorrect specification (6mm shaft size; 1/4" is required). Nothing worth having is had without effort...
View attachment 24918

Ahh bummer...I just ordered some knobs like yours for my incoming Rac 12 in 6mm. I was going off of this pict that Alex sent me when I asked about the shaft size:Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 7.25.34 PM copy.jpg It looks like the pict is showing 6mm....what did you have to do to get them on?

By the way...they look great.

I confirm the picture is right, the diameter of the shaft encoders is 6mm with D shape.
Also 1/4" diameter can be mounted but only with a screw built in knobs

Last edited:
Ahh bummer...I just ordered some knobs like yours for my incoming Rac 12 in 6mm. I was going off of this pict that Alex sent me when I asked about the shaft size:View attachment 24949 It looks like the pict is showing 6mm....what did you have to do to get them on?
By the way...they look great.

Thank you. Upon attempting to mount the replacement knobs, I encountered a fair bit of resistance; as I was concerned that applying force would damage the encoders, I reamed each knob with a 1/4" bit. Ordering replacement amp knobs or utilizing a 6mm bit would have been preferable...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom