RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
x/y switching is already there (update 1.0.1), amp 1/2 change is "next instance" function, waf/flanger/boost on/off is upcomping bypass function (1.0.2) ;)
For the CCs, i'll see if it can be done ;)

But that doesn't allow me to replace CCs. Amp1/2 on/off is controlled by external modifiers in my presets and the only way to influence the on/off status is to send a CC. Same goes for some other effects and parameters. As long as they are controlled via ext modifiers no sysex can change them. Ccs would be a great addition.

But that doesn't allow me to replace CCs. Amp1/2 on/off is controlled by external modifiers in my presets and the only way to influence the on/off status is to send a CC. Same goes for some other effects and parameters. As long as they are controlled via ext modifiers no sysex can change them. Ccs would be a great addition.
Yes it looks like it may be a cool addition ;)

Does the unit produce zippering effects in the sound as you adjust parameters, like the old axe-edit versions used to?

vvv awesome, thanks!

Last edited:
I’ve been able to successfully “merge” my XL, RAC12 and my RJM Mastermind GT/22.

RAC12 OUT > XL IN
GT OUT > RAC12 MERGE
XL OUT > GT IN

With Bidirectional MIDI disabled on the GT.

Should work with other foot controllers as well, if they have MIDI IN and OUT connections.

I’ve been able to successfully “merge” my XL, RAC12 and my RJM Mastermind GT/22.

RAC12 OUT > XL IN
GT OUT > RAC12 MERGE
XL OUT > GT IN

Should work with other foot controllers as well, if they have MIDI IN and OUT connections.
If they don't it still can work with a Y cable (don't know if this type of cable exists but it can easily be made).

If they don't it still can work with a Y cable (don't know if this type of cable exists but it can easily be made).

Will it work (for this purpose) with just a straight hardwired split like that?? Most commercially available midi thru/split boxes I have seen, along with the one Y cable I have seen also contain some circuitry that helps reduce errors where the midi data is repeated. Most of them have more than one split though.

I'd love to just grab 3 din connectors that I have sitting here in a parts box and wire them together... if it's gonna work reliably! I guess I'll find out for sure when my unit arrives next week.

I'd much prefer that setup than running 2 midi cables to the floor controller, as Yek said he is doing. Not to mention it would save a bunch of cash not having to purchase a dedicated box like the Midi Solutions thru.

RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL. Video added!

RAC12 OUT > XL IN
GT OUT > RAC12 MERGE
XL OUT > GT IN

That's awesome Yek. That also very much sounds like using their 2 port phantom power unit (http://www.rjmmusic.com/store/product.php?productid=16259&cat=251&page=1) would work great as well then.

Will it work (for this purpose) with just a straight hardwired split like that?? Most commercially available midi thru/split boxes I have seen, along with the one Y cable I have seen also contain some circuitry that helps reduce errors where the midi data is repeated. Most of them have more than one split though.

I'd love to just grab 3 din connectors that I have sitting here in a parts box and wire them together... if it's gonna work reliably! I guess I'll find out for sure when my unit arrives next week.

I'd much prefer that setup than running 2 midi cables to the floor controller, as Yek said he is doing. Not to mention it would save a bunch of cash not having to purchase a dedicated box like the Midi Solutions thru.

I don't know specifically with MIDI, but MIDI is essentially a digital data connection and I've never seen digital data connections work with a Y cable. Or has anyone seen an Ethernet Y cable? Not saying that it wouldn't work, but it seems that Y cables only really exists in the analog world and in the digital we need some form of box like a hub/switch in the Ethernet example. Should be fairly easy to test in a lazy Sunday afternoon with a soldering iron though :).

I'm just about to order myself a MMGT16 with a 2 port phantom power box. That seems like great solution that will take care of both the midi splitting and getting power to the unit.

Reactions: npx

Ideally I would want to keep running my RJM using a single cable (bidirectional MIDI), and the RAC12 a well.

I can't see this happening. It requires hardware which splits the MIDI IN on the Axe-Fx into 2 plugs, with bidirectional capabilities.
None of the current hardware MIDI utilities that I know of, have this feature set.

Ideally I would want to keep running my RJM using a single cable (bidirectional MIDI), and the RAC12 a well.
I can't see this happening. It requires some kind of box which splits the MIDI IN on the Axe-Fx into 2 plugs, with bidirectional support.
None of the current hardware MIDI utilities that I know of, have this feature set.

RJM has a phantom box for the Kemper with 2 midi ports for the device side. I mentioned it before but I'm not sure if it is an actual In and Out or something specific for the Kemper. I'm sure Ron would know :)

Reactions: yek
RJM has a phantom box for the Kemper with 2 midi ports for the device side. I mentioned it before but I'm not sure if it is an actual In and Out or something specific for the Kemper. I'm sure Ron would know :)

I have the one with single IN and OUT.

Specs of the "Kemper" one: RJM Music Phantom Power Adapter - DIN7F (two inputs) for Kemper RJM Music online kaufen Webshop
Seems like it's IN and OUT. That would do the job I guess.

RJM OUT > 7-pin > phantom box
phantom MIDI OUT > RAC12 Merge > Axe-Fx IN
Axe-Fx MIDI OUT > phantom MIDI OUT

Saves a cable between RJM and RAC12.

135 euros, hmm .... ;)

P.S. I just noticed Johan already covered this here:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...-axe-fx-ii-xl-video-added-18.html#post1149645

Johan said he contacted Ron. Since he moved forward with it, perhaps it's exactly what the situation needs.

I love that dang MMGT.

Reactions: yek
Johan said he contacted Ron. Since he moved forward with it, perhaps it's exactly what the situation needs.

I love that dang MMGT.

Yeah, my MMGT/16 is just about to get ordered and I’m getting it ordered with the 2 port phantom power box.

What Ron said was that he lists the 2 port box as Kemper specific because the Kemper needs the 2 port box, where’s the Axe Fx in pretty much all cases bar this one will work just fine with a 1 port box. But the Axe Fx will also work just fine with the 2 port box. I can feel the holy grail approaching quickly…. :)

It turns out the TC Electronics Nova Drive actually comes with a simple MIDI Y cable, for splitting its MIDI signal to the MIDI IN and OUT ports of a G System, so it would appear that this does work in this situation.

Here’s the wiring from the TC website:

6an9nsjqrcqiroi

I suspect the RJM box is just a sturdy version of this, but with the addition of DC power on pins 6 and 7 for the 7 pin socket.

Time to crack out the soldering iron!

It turns out the TC Electronics Nova Drive actually comes with a simple MIDI Y cable, for splitting its MIDI signal to the MIDI IN and OUT ports of a G System, so it would appear that this does work in this situation.

Here’s the wiring from the TC website:

6an9nsjqrcqiroi

Time to crack out the soldering iron!

You're right man!

Last edited:
Reactions: npx
I am on the wait list and I am looking forward to giving this product a shot... trying to get whatever I am going to need to get it up and running with my AXE 2 XL and my V3 MFC-101.

Will it just need a MIDI cable to the Fractal? Any MIDI cable? And that connects to "MIDI THRU" on the AXEIIXL? Does that handle power as well? If not, what are the specs for the cable I will need for power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom