RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
The product looks brilliant. Congratulations! I'll definitely be ordering one of these as soon as possible.
The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is that the knobs are pre-labeled via metal etching. Personally I'd go:

Drive - Trim/Overdrive - Bass - Mid - Treb ----- [screen] ----- Pres - Depth - Master - 1. Level - 2 - 3 - 4

But I suppose as long as I can customize these parameters in the Edit program, some black background label maker tape is all I'll need to correct that problem!
You can use magnetic labels too ;) I guess some label makers will propose some

RAC12 - A new 1U rack controler dedicated to the AxeFX II and II XL

You can use magnetic labels too ;) I guess some label makers will propose some

You know it! Lol.
Gigwrx Labels will be trying to have these in the works as soon as the product launches! I will also be trying to get on wait list early, this thing is gonna be awesome!

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
You're right Bill, but it gives me a new complementary idea for future development.
0dBu analog levels meter missing since for so long.
However, I think it's not complicated for Cliff to add this alternative unit on the new loudness meters page too.

if there were a couple of analog inputs on the RAC12 and a couple of these meters for reference...

VU_analog.gif

Will there be different options for the knobs, that, or removable ones? That would be cool. Because I was thinking chicken heads or metal domes.

Great concept. Looking forward to seeing what the price point is, but I like the use case of on-the-fly tweaks to make it feel like an amp (that's been my biggest challenge since ditching a real amp).

It is a bummer than my 6 space rack is full, though (axefx, wireless, power conditioner, 2u power amp). I'd hate to have to go to a 8 space. Maybe I need to look at going with a 1U power amp, but I like having 1800W in the 2U QSC...

I might want to have slightly smaller diameter knobs at the far right (1-2, 3-4) for those of us with fumble-fingers, to make it a little easier to navigate without fear of accidentally bumping an adjacent knob when tweaking.

not a problem with this,
you have more gap than on a jvm410,
lateral gap on rac12=15mm and jvm=10mm and a lot of space upper and under the knobs too. ;)

Can't wait to lay my dirty hands on this piece…
Will it have inputs for external variants like switches and expression?
I'm thinking, not everybody has MFC-101 and some would maybe like a small foot controller so heaving a few expression and switches inputs in the back of the RAC12 and "translating" it to midi commands to control preset change / wah / volume etc, simply making the RAC acting like a "gateway" or switching interface can be cool.
Thinking, if it has let's say 2-4 switch inputs and 2-4 expression inputs…you can easily connect few and you fixed.

Can't wait to lay my dirty hands on this piece…
Will it have inputs for external variants like switches and expression?
I'm thinking, not everybody has MFC-101 and some would maybe like a small foot controller so heaving a few expression and switches inputs in the back of the RAC12 and "translating" it to midi commands to control preset change / wah / volume etc, simply making the RAC acting like a "gateway" or switching interface can be cool.
Thinking, if it has let's say 2-4 switch inputs and 2-4 expression inputs…you can easily connect few and you fixed.

The "RAC12" did not implement this kind of connectivity, but some predisposition have been apprehended.
Maybe another variant (a little more expensive) with this kind of function could be envisaged in the future.

Last edited:
The "RAC12" did not implement this kind of connectivity, but some predisposition have been apprehended.
Maybe another variant (a little more expensive) with this kind of function could be envisaged in the future.

The RAC12 opens us up to the world of knob/switch control of the AxeFxII. Now we need to bring this type of access to the world of foot pedal switches and Exp pedals. Perhaps it is a completely different piece of equipment.

It seems to me that this opens the door for a more thorough implementation of the "scenes" idea used in the AxeFx, but in a more complete fashion, as well as using control modifiers to do true "morphing" since the RAC exposes all parameters. I think that development of a floor board with switches and exp pedals to implement these "scene" changes and morphs would be excellent. Currently, the AxeFxII X/Y, Scenes, and the 2 Scene Controllers nibble around the edges of solving the problem of wholesale sound changes within a preset, but due to the lack of modifier control over certain parameters, the implementation is incomplete and sort of awkward IMHO.

Thoughts?

Well, we have some memory left on the RAC12 but no time for further developments now, but there will be firmware updates regulary, after the RAC12 is released ;)

The RAC12Edit is working on Mac OSX Yosemite and Windows platforms, we're now getting close to good things :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom