RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be prepared for the guys, who wants to "overwrite" the knob labels with micro magnetic labels or stuff on the hardware... : Make the software knobs also be overwrite and relabelable like the 16 Maps ... ;)
Do you mean labelling BASS parameter something else ?? It's gonna make finding parameters hard, no ? ^^
Thanks a lot for your kind words :)

Do you mean labelling BASS parameter something else ?? It's gonna make finding parameters hard, no ? ^^
Yepp, DRIVE, BASS, ... , LEVEL. If people overwrite those with own Labels (say they don`t need DEPTH, but like those Dumbles or JUMPerd Amps with two DRIVE knobs), they end with re-labeling at the hardware. I assume, they want their custom labels alsoreflect in the software (just first line in the software and perhaps adapt to the software "faceplate" view), because if not, THAT will find parameters finding hard ... if relabeling the hardware did not anymore reflect the software labels ...

But yeah, just a little suggestion ...

Awesome device. Anxious to read user reviews.

Don't think that I can use it.
My RJM controller needs bidirectional MIDI communication, which the RAC's merge doesn't support.
But for everyone with a MFC, it seems killer.

Awesome device. Anxious to read user reviews.

Don't think that I can use it.
My RJM controller needs bidirectional MIDI communication, which the RAC's merge doesn't support.
But for everyone with a MFC, it seems killer.

Thanks Alex :)
But there s a way to use it with your rjm : add a midi splitter on the axefx midi out !

Last edited:
Just ordered mine :)

One thing that’s still unclear though for me after reading the manual. I’m planning to buy myself a MMGT16 and obviously want to connect them both and have them both working properly. On the RJM website, they have two phantom power adapters with either one or two midi connectors on the Axe-Fx side of things (Phantom Power Adapter / DIN7F - RJM Music Technology, Inc. and Phantom Power Adapter / DIN7F (2 input) - RJM Music Technology, Inc.). From reading the manual, it sounds like I should be getting the phantom power adapter two two midi connectors and then connect as follows:

Axe-Fx Midi IN -> RAC12 Midi Out (5 pin cable)
Axe-Fx Midi Out -> MMGT Phantom power Midi In (5 pin cable)
MMGT Phantom Power midi Out -> RAC12 Midi Merge (5 pin cable)

Now, the worrying part from the manual is "This connector is not bidirectional, …”, so my question is. Will both the RAC12 and the MMGT work in this scenario with no unintended side effects?

Ok - some posts while I wrote mine. So a midi merger is definitely needed by the sounds of it?

Oh and btw Alex, if you have a XL you dont need thus extra device, just use the configuration explained above by Johan ;)

Last edited:
i'm using a Midi Solutions Quadra Thru - no power needed. mmgt out to phantom power box, to Quadra, then split output to Axe (with bi-directional functions), Infinity Looper, and x32 Rack.

not sure how it would work with multiple bi-directional communication, but it seems it should.

Just ordered mine :)

One thing that’s still unclear though for me after reading the manual. I’m planning to buy myself a MMGT16 and obviously want to connect them both and have them both working properly. On the RJM website, they have two phantom power adapters with either one or two midi connectors on the Axe-Fx side of things (Phantom Power Adapter / DIN7F - RJM Music Technology, Inc. and Phantom Power Adapter / DIN7F (2 input) - RJM Music Technology, Inc.). From reading the manual, it sounds like I should be getting the phantom power adapter two two midi connectors and then connect as follows:

Axe-Fx Midi IN -> RAC12 Midi Out (5 pin cable)
Axe-Fx Midi Out -> MMGT Phantom power Midi In (5 pin cable)
MMGT Phantom Power midi Out -> RAC12 Midi Merge (5 pin cable)

Now, the worrying part from the manual is "This connector is not bidirectional, …”, so my question is. Will both the RAC12 and the MMGT work in this scenario with no unintended side effects?
Yes it should work if the phantom power is going from the axefx out side to the rjm side directly.

Yes it should work if the phantom power is going from the axefx out side to the rjm side directly.

I’m not sure what you mean with “directly”? What would a non-direct way be? I assume that the MMGT phantom power box will merge the midi signals and the power as on there’s then a 7 pin midi cable that goes to the MMGT.

I’m not sure what you mean with “directly”? What would a non-direct way be? I assume that the MMGT phantom power box will merge the midi signals and the power as on there’s then a 7 pin midi cable that goes to the MMGT.
Yes that's what i meant ;)
So it should work yes.
Then just plug regular DIN5 cable from the rjm's out to the RAC12 merge.

well everything should work but in some case you'd need additional midi splitter etc... but there should always be a solution

I know the signal flow is backwards, but i wanted to start from the Axe:

Axe Midi In -> MidiSolutions Thru In (Yes, In to In since it's bi-directional)
MidiSolutions Thru 1 -> RJM Phantom Box "To Midi In"
MidiSolutions Thru 2 -> RAC12 Midi Out

then of course MMGT Out -> RJM Phantom Box 7-pin connection

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodthr.htm
the Midisolutions gear doesn't need a power supply. if you need more than the 2 Thru's of the Midisolutions Thru, they have a Quadra Thru, 4 Thru's.

i currently use the Quadra thru going the other way, so i can split my signal from the MMGT to 3 devices. what i described above is the Axe signal splitting BACK to 2 devices (as well as 2 devices going in). you need to do this since the RAC12 Merge port doesn't send Axe info back out.

i can only guess that the 3 port RJM phantom power box would work as Johan said, but I'm not sure of the exact wiring, as it's intended more for the Kemper. if they are true Midi In and Out, it might work. my only hesitation is that Ron calls them both "Inputs" not a Midi In and Out. but then describes that they connect to the Midi In and Out of the Kemper. it might be a specialized box specifically for the Kemper, so i think the splitter i mention above is a more sure solution, unless Ron can comment on his Kemper phantom power box.

Last edited:
Also - power with positive centre???? Since you didn’t have an Australia power plug option, I’m currently on eBay looking for an AU power supply. There’s 1010 hits on “9V power supply” and after 100 or so there’s not a single one with positive centre.

Update - just found one from Hong Kong. What’s the plug diameter?

I've used a lot of the MIDI solutions products, and after running into some intermittent problems with stuck MIDI notes, and intermittent missing messages, I have replaced their merge and thru boxes with this: Kenton MIDI Merge - 4

It has been flawless. If you're having trouble with a MIDI solutions box and/or have need for a single product that does merge/thru, I can't recommend the Kenton product enough. It also doesn't rely on MIDI power which can also be a source of problems (using MIDI power that is) in some setups.

Also - power with positive centre???? Since you didn’t have an Australia power plug option, I’m currently on eBay looking for an AU power supply. There’s 1010 hits on “9V power supply” and after 100 or so there’s not a single one with positive centre.

Update - just found one from Hong Kong. What’s the plug diameter?
Switchmode Plugpack 9VDC 1.66A - Jaycar Electronics
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3146&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1000#12

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UK-US-EU...79960630?pt=AU_Travel_Acc&hash=item3ce16b9036

Last edited:
Ii can only guess that the 3 port RJM phantom power box would work as Johan said, but I'm not sure of the exact wiring, as it's intended more for the Kemper. if they are true Midi In and Out, it might work. my only hesitation is that Ron calls them both "Inputs" not a Midi In and Out. but then describes that they connect to the Midi In and Out of the Kemper. it might be a specialized box specifically for the Kemper, so i think the splitter i mention above is a more sure solution, unless Ron can comment on his Kemper phantom power box.

I’ve pinged Ron using the contact form on the RJM website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom