RAC12 - New 1U rack controller for Axe-Fx II / XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
There won't be any mark on the knobs in the final version.

As you can see on the video, the 12 values are displayed when you don't move knobs and the value of the knob you're moving is displayed in fullscreen while moving.

I would also prefer if the knob labels were LCDs.
I think its impossible to remember 16 pages of parameters, and it kinda misses the point then.
If you come up with that and the price would not jump too high i would be highly interested.

The knobs seem to lag and the sweep seems to take alot more turns than what is represented on the axefx. Can this be adjusted?

I'm on the waitlist! Definitely looking forward to buying this thing.

Also, about the knobs, for future versions I personally wouldn't mind the option to just have industry standard 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock fixed position pots like you'd find on traditional amps. You'd just need to map the 7 o'clock position to 0% and the 5 o'clock position to 100% of whatever parameter you're controlling and figure out how many incremental steps you want in the sweep for the MIDI or sysex translation and you'd be good to go.

I used to have a Line6 AX2, which was digital, that had knobs that behaved like this. The knobs were analog, but they were translated to MIDI info when you turned them. There were two settings. One would instantly change the parameter of the knob being adjusted when you adjusted it, and the other setting wouldn't change the parameter unless you actually crossed over the current value of the parameter with the knob.

Plus, with analog pots, you got the real-amp feel. Personally I think this type of knob would be really well suited for the kind of quick yet substantial adjustments you'd want for live playing, while the fine adjustment could still be done with the big knob on the Axe. Just something to think about!

Also, about the knobs, for future versions I personally wouldn't mind the option to just have industry standard 7 o'clock to 5 o'clock fixed position pots like you'd find on traditional amps...

I used to have a Line6 AX2, which was digital, that had knobs that behaved like this. The knobs were analog, but they were translated to MIDI info when you turned them. There were two settings. One would instantly change the parameter of the knob being adjusted when you adjusted it, and the other setting wouldn't change the parameter unless you actually crossed over the current value of the parameter with the knob.
That comes with its own set of imperfections and compromises. Either the parameter jumps instantly to a value that's miles away from what you intended, or the knob positions reflect the wrong values until you cross the current value. Both of those situations are yucky compared to the continuous encoders chosen for the product.

That comes with its own set of imperfections and compromises. Either the parameter jumps instantly to a value that's miles away from what you intended, or the knob positions reflect the wrong values until you cross the current value. Both of those situations are yucky compared to the continuous encoders chosen for the product.

Well you could always motorize the knobs and make them sync with the values in the Axe!

But you're right, this situation does have its own set of compromises, just as the digital infinite rotational encoders have the disadvantage of feeling notched and the risk that the acceleration algorithm won't feel right.

I suppose you could always change them to optical knobs like the Axe XL has as its primary value knob, but those are supposedly a lot more expensive than the normal knobs.

Damn.. This looks absolutely awesome! Too bad that between getting a new rack, and the thing itself, it's gonna be more money than I think I can afford.

My biggest concern is using midi controller with this unit. I have a Liquid Foot controller and it needs a bi-directional communication to update effects states etc..
If i understand correctly you can only send, but not receive midi when using Midi controller with RAC12. That is a very big issue for me, because i think floor controller is a primary source of control, and with RAC12 it is getting very limmited.

My biggest concern is using midi controller with this unit. I have a Liquid Foot controller and it needs a bi-directional communication to update effects states etc..
If i understand correctly you can only send, but not receive midi when using Midi controller with RAC12. That is a very big issue for me, because i think floor controller is a primary source of control, and with RAC12 it is getting very limmited.

I think we have already responded and proposed the solution for your dedicated pedal board on this post:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other...-axe-fx-ii-xl-video-added-10.html#post1118561

I recall the available i/o :
1 midi 0UT/IN port (unidirectional or bidirectional)
1 midi IN port for input datas
1 midi IN merge port to merge an other input midi device

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom