rabbit holes, mixing irs, what I learned this week...

not that my responses even belong alongside or can add anything... but when you say "equal to" (bar none)... well no... because with individual irs you can in theory do a lot more in terms of panning, setting vol, etc... but the mix from mfg like mr york are > in the sense that I would almost always assume they have better ears, and are better at mixing irs, are listening on much better equipment and probably have even been reviewed by more than one person. In that sense I would say the professional mixes are almost always better in quality imho.

all that said... @York Audio - really love your new twin verb pack!! as usual there is some great attention to detail in the high end that I'm not hearing in the rest of my twin ir collection. I have only played with it a bit, but really like it and just wanted to say.
If anyone is listening and looking for a very 'vintage correct' sounding twin ir... really hits the spot.
Well of course i know that the tweaks with a single mix ir are less than two.. But if the mix ir is equal in therm of sound without the need to tweak it could be better in order to have maybe one more block to use.

Well of course i know that the tweaks with a single mix ir are less than two.. But if the mix ir is equal in therm of sound without the need to tweak it could be better in order to have maybe one more block to use.
right, also better in terms of being able to fit more irs inside the axefx.

right on. I think that is one that we have a similar (ie deluxe by ya) in the factory axefx irs if I'm not mistaken... and it's one of my favs. I should prob go snag the full pack as YA stuff is quickly moving to the top of my list for 'fenderish' stuff.
I just wish he, or someone, would get more Weber speakers captured. They have a slew of great-sounding speakers. Current fave: AlNiCo 10V in a wide-body 2x10 X-Cab custom spec'ed to match the width of their 6A20 combo cab. Killer!

I just wish he, or someone, would get more Weber speakers captured. They have a slew of great-sounding speakers. Current fave: AlNiCo 10V in a wide-body 2x10 X-Cab custom spec'ed to match the width of their 6A20 combo cab. Killer!
I know what just went through his/their/all-ir-capturers-ever's mind: "so many speakers... so little time"!!

Doubly so if they insist on 5236864 different iterations of more or less the same cabs/speakers....
well sadly i think that is just what the masses want... yet-another-tube-screamer... or in this case "we need more metal/djent cab irs"! you go through all that work to create an ir pack... it'd better sell to more than three people... so you can't hardly blame them.

well sadly i think that is just what the masses want... yet-another-tube-screamer... or in this case "we need more metal/djent cab irs"! you go through all that work to create an ir pack... it'd better sell to more than three people... so you can't hardly blame them.
Dr B seems to do pretty good mining the 'off the beaten track' stuff. I have a number of his offerings as well....

Last edited:
Dr B seems to do pretty goid mining the 'off the beaten track' stuff. I have a number of his offerings as well....
i do too... and he does, and that's why I like him, but i would argue that if you look at ownhammer, ya, taf, vallhallir, mlsound, celestion, ggd... def a pattern there. Seems like four metal/heavier cabs to every one mid gain. Perhaps I'm totally wrong - i have no idea - but I imagine for the most part they are sticking to what sells the best.

i do too... and he does, and that's why I like him, but i would argue that if you look at ownhammer, ya, taf, vallhallir, mlsound, celestion, ggd... def a pattern there. Seems like four metal/heavier cabs to every one mid gain. Perhaps I'm totally wrong - i have no idea - but I imagine for the most part they are sticking to what sells the best.
Yeah. Mostly headbanger stuff. Some of it translates well for mid gain, but a lot of it is just 'meh' for anything rock or blues or country (oh my!). Gotta love the G12M20 4x12, tho....

Yeah. Mostly headbanger stuff. Some of it translates well for mid gain, but a lot of it is just 'meh' for anything rock or blues or country (oh my!). Gotta love the G12M20 4x12, tho....
right, well, for me - greenbacks... they just work for anything. sm with alnico gold. seems like it's hard to go wrong there. want to add a couple celest gold to my greenbacks in my axefx rig... at some point anyway.

right, well, for me - greenbacks... they just work for anything. sm with alnico gold. seems like it's hard to go wrong there. want to add a couple celest gold to my greenbacks in my axefx rig... at some point anyway.
Been digging a variety of smaller cab/speaker IRs. The Oxford Dlux 1x12, 2x10 Vlux P10Q, 2x12 Vox Blues, 4x10 P10Q Bassman, and 1x12 SRO are frequently popping up as I hone in on what I really enjoy playing through....

so many favs... almost out of space in my user ir slots.
I had to do an audit and figure out the ones used in my presets to get the FM9 up and running. Then I ran into the Cab 2 issuecwith crackle on the second IR and went through and submixed them all in CabLab. Now I have room to audition new packs again, even on the FM9....

at one point I went and re-ordered all my irs to get them in a more sensible order... just outputted everything before into an excel sheet, then changed them all, then outputted the spreadsheet again. then turned that into a conversion table... went thru my presets... u1:189=u1:537 and so on. was a pita. wish more of the modeling community would add some simple db/query functionality to their interface. some of the vst amp sims are now doing it. some basic attributes... and ability to give the user a different 'view' of the cabs/presets/etc... actual order wouldn't even matter. it'd be nice to easily get to all my 4x12 cabs or single-coil-based presets!

Doubly so if they insist on 5236864 different iterations of more or less the same cabs/speakers....
That’s a tricky one. Even though speakers may have the same model number (V30, G12M25, etc.), different eras have very different tonalities. Couple that with the differences the cabinets themselves make and there’s quite a lot of diversity even within the same speaker model.

I try to alternate releases between “high gain” and “clean to mid gain” for that very reason. Variety is the spice of life. :)

That’s a tricky one. Even though speakers may have the same model number (V30, G12M25, etc.), different eras have very different tonalities. Couple that with the differences the cabinets themselves make and there’s quite a lot of diversity even within the same speaker model.

I try to alternate releases between “high gain” and “clean to mid gain” for that very reason. Variety is the spice of life. :)
couldn't agree more

I ve another question... Downloaded tons of irs.. It s just a taste question or there is other to know when you use a cab different from the traditional? Example.. If i use greenbacks g12m 25 with mark iv there is a trick in the speaker parameters that allows the match works? I mean in the real life they ll be under wattage for that amp for example? So in the fractal this means something? Thanks

well I sure hope someone who knows better than me chimes in or we are in trouble... but...

I guess you are referring more to mixing an amp w non factory speaker which... there is the impedence curve to consider (setting in the amp block). that said... I've done a lot of mixing amps with dif speaker w/o changing the impedence curve. For me... it is simply a matter of taste. I just try things and see what it sounds like. Sometimes I then go change the speaker curve and it leads to a whole new round of auditioning. Perhaps others have other approaches... if so... I hope they chime in.

well I sure hope someone who knows better than me chimes in or we are in trouble... but...

I guess you are referring more to mixing an amp w non factory speaker which... there is the impedence curve to consider (setting in the amp block). that said... I've done a lot of mixing amps with dif speaker w/o changing the impedence curve. For me... it is simply a matter of taste. I just try things and see what it sounds like. Sometimes I then go change the speaker curve and it leads to a whole new round of auditioning. Perhaps others have other approaches... if so... I hope they chime in.
It is also what i did but i ve tried tons of irs and i was asking to myself if in general there is also more to know without waste time... Example the wattage of the amp and the cab resistance how does it works in the axe?

Back
Top Bottom