rabbit holes, mixing irs, what I learned this week...

It is also what i did but i ve tried tons of irs and i was asking to myself if in general there is also more to know without waste time... Example the wattage of the amp and the cab resistance how does it works in the axe?
well I sure hope someone like @Admin M@ or other will answer that. I don't know. My gut is that it doesn't matter - at least not in the sense that you can "overpower" a speaker like a real speaker because an ir is really just a very detailed eq curve. impedence curve is a measure of resistance at freq if I understand it correctly. iow the ir doesn't really have an impedence but it will have a dif "resistance" to dif freq.

save time: well... in general there is a lot of info in the (yek?) writeup about amps and what their default speaker should be... and generally speaking you will get the most out of an amp by sticking to speakers similar to the original factory speakers... but in practice I find that lots of unexpected combos sound great. For example I love to put a 4x10 with a twin or other fender... sure the 2x12 is better for really clean things but a 4x10 can sound great. hope something there is usefull.

It is also what i did but i ve tried tons of irs and i was asking to myself if in general there is also more to know without waste time... Example the wattage of the amp and the cab resistance how does it works in the axe?
Wattage is not really an issue that needs to be considered, since there is no physical speaker to incinerate with too much power. Heck, there's not even any power, if you think about it. :) Cab impedance is normalized to 100%, so if you want the sound of a 8 ohm output driving a 16 ohm cab, you have to dial that in on the amp via the speaker matching parameter. As for the impedance curve, the amp models in the amp block come loaded with the curve that matches the cab IR they expect you'll use it with (i.e., the "matching" cab/speaker), but there are a number of different preset curves that match a fair range of different cabs, should you want to experiment. The key is to try to match the low frequency resonance frequency (the big spike on the left side of the curve) with the speaker IR you use, if it is known. Not all manufacturers of speakers post the Thiele/Small data or even simply the low-frequency resonant frequency. To that end, since I don't know the resonance of the G12M20 in York's great 80-watt Marshall 4x12" IR set, but it is similar to the G12M25, I use the 4x12" Brit Greenback curve, though most of the Marshall style curves are similar, around 110Hz resonance, give or take a bit....

Back
Top Bottom