R2R cracks Helix Native

Status
Not open for further replies.
If its software it can be cracked. It will hurt Line6, but then again, not every illegal download equals a lost sale. Especially at that price at which it was released I'd reckon most of the people who are now downloading and using the cracked version would never have gotten the paid version to begin with. Let alone an even more expensive Fractal plugin. Many people just do not have that amount of spare cash lying about, but they do want to use it.

Maybe Line6, and Fractal for that matter should instead opt for a subscription model. $10, maybe $15 a month and you get full access to the latest version. Maybe that's cheap enough to keep the paupers from downloading a cracked version? Just like Spotify and Netflix are cheap enough to keep many from illegally downloading music and movies.

I used to pirate stuff. When your starting out the prices just seem incredible. I then Realised the value in the products and which ones worked for me. Haven't pirated anything in about 7 years. It's just something I wouldn't even consider these days...but man it's expensive.
It's better just taking the plunge then buying the smaller updates.

They could if they required hardware to do the off-CPU processing. Much more than a dongle... imagine a lightweight hardware interface/re-amp'er that acts as a key to the VST.
This would eventually be decrypted, flashed on to Raspberry Pis and sold for $30 unfortunately.

Maybe Line6, and Fractal for that matter should instead opt for a subscription model. $10, maybe $15 a month and you get full access to the latest version. Maybe that's cheap enough to keep the paupers from downloading a cracked version? Just like Spotify and Netflix are cheap enough to keep many from illegally downloading music and movies.

This is what Steven Slate is doing now with his plugins...

One month ago today I said it would end up getting hacked. See my post below from "Do we really want an Axe FX VST?"

I think the best way to avoid getting software hacked is to sell it super cheap. If FAS came out with a plugin and sold it for $50, I don't think most people would waste their time trying to find a hack or risk installing a virus and would buy it.

I guarantee Helix Native and Superior Drummer 3 will be on Pirate Bay in less than a month after release because they're too expensive for the average hobby musician.

The problem with software is that it becomes worthless when a new version is released, so there's no way to sell it or trade it. We'll be able to sell our Axe-Fx II's when the Axe-Fx III gets released, so it won't be as hard to come up with the $. Even the original Axe-Fx and Ultra still sell for a decent amount. I hardly doubt anyone would be willing to pay even $5 for the original Toontrack Superior Drummer or Line 6 Gear Box even though they still sound decent and many great recordings were made with them and still sound good.

How you gonna decrypt audio hardware??

If you think about it, the Axe-Fx is just a dongle required by Axe-Edit. :)
Not being reliant on a computer is one of the best features of the AFX. For a lot of reasons, but one is latency - not everyone has a lightning fast PC, and latency IS a drag, even in small doses.

Reactions: Rex
Not being reliant on a computer is one of the best features of the AFX. For a lot of reasons, but one is latency - not everyone has a lightning fast PC, and latency IS a drag, even in small doses.

To be fair, latency has not been an issue for me with VSTs for about 8 years or so. That is like a million years scaled for computing gizmos. ;) I tend to buy high end boxes but even the cheap stuff is trouble free nowadays so this is not a particularly compelling argument (in my mind anyway)... now messing with audio interfaces, drivers, and signal levels? Yes, pain in da bottom.

Last edited:
+1. Standalone hardware is unbeatable in a live situation.

To be fair, latency has not been an issue for me with VSTs for about 8 years or so.
Latency would be a big issue with Fractal modeling. If you look at all the Amp parameters that are independent, they're must be a lot of iterative processing that you just don't see in your typical VST.

How do you conclude that?
Today is a reality to have computers running a lot of things (plugins, effects, synths etc) more complex than an AxeFx at very low latencies, playing it live in real time. Its not an exception its a common reality.
If you think that a modern pc cant do an AxeFx in the box, just read how much cpu takes the Fractal reverb plugin, people can run so many instances and its one of the most complex algos inside the Axe. Just do the maths.
So no, let be honest and accurate, latency is not an issue.

I do a search with "R2R" and "Helix native" words and I do not find any evidence about what this thread says is true.
We are not talking about a fake?
Anyway there are some protection systems that have never been violated, i. e. syncrosoft (I own cubase 8,5) and there are others systems never hacked, so there is posible to release software without risk.
Anyway I have the feeling that Line 6 seems not have had much interest in protecting their software. Tried the demo and it was a simple online registration which doesnt seem to be the most robust system I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom