R E B O O T (Tuner @ heel down causing lockups)

dicXjonesify

Inspired
I’ve just now had to reboot 3 times within 20 minutes because it would lock up and emit an annoying high pitched noise o_O

Anyone else? Currently connected to my laptop. First time FM9 Edit was open. The 2nd time, nothing was going on at all. The 3rd time, I was tracking in Logic.

I’ll share the preset tomorrow but there’s no funny business. I didn’t like make an infinity loop that opened a black hole or anything 🤞

No, it won't. Start from an empty preset and see what happens.
Are you saying to run it with nothing, running at like 11% DSP and see if it locks up? Well, I’ll agree with you that it won’t but that’s not really relevant. No one spends $1600 to use a piece of gear that way. I’ll be using presets that I build with the tools and DSP limitations given to me by Fractal and I would sure hope this isn’t normal.

The reason for sharing the preset causing the issue is to see if others can replicate your problem on their FM9. This is a common beta testing practice to find out if it is actually a bug, something specific to the preset, something related to the hardware, or something related to the use (DAW related, Etc).

No way is the FM9 supposed to do this. I have seen multiple posts across the forums recently about high pitched squeals. I don’t recall any that were on standard presets without any outboard connections, but the important thing is to share all you can in order to help everyone help you pinpoint the issue. Good luck.

The reason for sharing the preset causing the issue is to see if others can replicate your problem on their FM9. This is a common beta testing practice to find out if it is actually a bug, something specific to the preset, something related to the hardware, or something related to the use (DAW related, Etc).

No way is the FM9 supposed to do this. I have seen multiple posts across the forums recently about high pitched squeals. I don’t recall any that were on standard presets without any outboard connections, but the important thing is to share all you can in order to help everyone help you pinpoint the issue. Good luck.
Thanks. I’ll get it uploaded.

Here it is (hopefully)

Specifically:
I started here and went to tweak a little. I turned on the preamp (economy) in the cabinet and adjusted some of that EQ. That was pushing it DSP wise (although still under the warning) and it locked up the first time. I did the same again but deleted the pitch block, which made a good bit of headroom. It still locked up. Another tweak I made was in the compressor. I turned off Auto and extended the release time because I was using a slide.

Attachments

• Chief-AC-20.zip
    5.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Here it is (hopefully)

Specifically:
I started here and went to tweak a little. I turned on the preamp (economy) in the cabinet and adjusted some of that EQ. That was pushing it DSP wise (although still under the warning) and it locked up the first time. I did the same again but deleted the pitch block, which made a good bit of headroom. It still locked up. Another tweak I made was in the compressor. I turned off Auto and extended the release time because I was using a slide.
The guys with FM9 can test this, thanks 😊. One more thought, considering other threads. Was the USB always connected when it locked up? If so, can you try it without?

Looking at this now. What is the purpose of the Multiplexer block with only one thing connected to it?
I ran it here for awhile with no problems. I've sent it to an engineer for further review.

Last edited:
The guys with FM9 can test this, thanks 😊. One more thought, considering other threads. Was the USB always connected when it locked up? If so, can you try it without?
Yes for these three. It actually locked up once the day before but I shrugged it off and I don’t remember if it was then or not.

Looking at this now. What is the purpose of the Multiplexer block with only one thing connected to it?
I ran it here for awhile with no problems. I've sent it to an engineer for further review.
Thank you!
In this case, I assigned the output mode to a PP Perform slot. Some places I play are mono, some are stereo. Seemed like a quick way to change.

Are you saying to run it with nothing, running at like 11% DSP and see if it locks up? Well, I’ll agree with you that it won’t but that’s not really relevant. No one spends $1600 to use a piece of gear that way. I’ll be using presets that I build with the tools and DSP limitations given to me by Fractal and I would sure hope this isn’t normal.
I’m saying start with an empty preset, just an IN and OUT block that are connected. Then add blocks one by one, without adjusting them to get the basic layout you want. Then start adjusting the blocks to get the sound you want. If/when the problem reoccurs, you will know exactly what caused it. An alternate way to see if it’s a specific problem in a preset is to start with a similar factory preset that contains whatever block you suspect is the culprit and adjust only that block. The factory presets page and specific pages for blocks in the wiki help locate presets using them.

80+% CPU is not the only indication that a preset has trouble. A CPU WARNING indicator regardless of the CPU %, sound breaking up or the unit going silent, squealing, are all indications that the preset has a bad problem. Just like in a general purpose computer, we can inadvertently push it beyond its abilities and it will freak out. When it does it might not have enough resources available to light an indicator or talk to the editor.

Like I was taught by one of my computer mentors when I started programming professionally, “You can make it foolproof, but not damn-fool proof.” A good modeler gives us the power to screw up the sound but not kill it. From my experience making screwed-up presets when deliberately trying to find the edges and work-around things I saw as limitations, Cliff and co. have done a great job of that. I’ve repeatedly made my FM3 spew some bad words because of my actions.

When building/adjusting a preset I take advantage of the Snapshot tool to keep track of the steps I made. I snapshot when something works. If I screw something up and have to restart the unit, I can roll forward to the last snapshot and try again.

Systematically and incrementally making changes will show where the problem lies.

I’m saying start with an empty preset, just an IN and OUT block that are connected. Then add blocks one by one, without adjusting them to get the basic layout you want. Then start adjusting the blocks to get the sound you want. If/when the problem reoccurs, you will know exactly what caused it. An alternate way to see if it’s a specific problem in a preset is to start with a similar factory preset that contains whatever block you suspect is the culprit and adjust only that block. The factory presets page and specific pages for blocks in the wiki help locate presets using them.

80+% CPU is not the only indication that a preset has trouble. A CPU WARNING indicator regardless of the CPU %, sound breaking up or the unit going silent, squealing, are all indications that the preset has a bad problem. Just like in a general purpose computer, we can inadvertently push it beyond its abilities and it will freak out. When it does it might not have enough resources available to light an indicator or talk to the editor.

Like I was taught by one of my computer mentors when I started programming professionally, “You can make it foolproof, but not damn-fool proof.” A good modeler gives us the power to screw up the sound but not kill it. From my experience making screwed-up presets when deliberately trying to find the edges and work-around things I saw as limitations, Cliff and co. have done a great job of that. I’ve repeatedly made my FM3 spew some bad words because of my actions.

When building/adjusting a preset I take advantage of the Snapshot tool to keep track of the steps I made. I snapshot when something works. If I screw something up and have to restart the unit, I can roll forward to the last snapshot and try again.

Systematically and incrementally making changes will show where the problem lies.
Between this and your "the unit itself won't do that" reply, it comes off as blaming the user for what is clearly a bug. Maybe it's poor wording. I'm in full agreement with the OP that for $1600 they shouldn't have to worry about stumbling into bugs when using the FM9 in a normal way (i.e. building a preset, connecting with USB, etc.).

You really shouldn't have to constantly back up your preset as you're building it in case it craps out. Other modelers don't require that, they just work.

Unfortunately, I have to agree.
Fm9 has no beta versions of the software.
This is a fully operational device and should function as described in the manual.
But since errors do occur, there is nothing to complain about, and hope that the matter will be resolved quickly. As fast as with FXIII problems.

Back
Top Bottom