Quilter

flynv

Inspired
Anyone using a Quilter to power their AX-8 thru a cab? Wondering about results.
I have an 112 with an EVM. Going to try a Powerblock first.

Anyone using a Quilter to power their AX-8 thru a cab? Wondering about results.
I have an 112 with an EVM. Going to try a Powerblock first.

I use it. Works perfectly but I recommend using the toneblock 201 or the mini 101 instead since they have a fx loop, so, you can do 4 cable method or just ignore the quilter preamp and go directly to the power amp.

By the way, looks like they released two new models that also have FX loop: the "Quilter 101 Reverb" and the "Pro Block 200". They look pretty interesting since my favorite "voice" on my 201 and my 101 is the FullQ one, but I never tried those.

I use the 101 mini as a power amp to a normal guitar cab. No 4CM needed for me because I'm only using it as a power amp. I go from the AX8 to the quilter's FX return. I have the Voice set to Full ! and the Hi-Cut to flat (fully counterclockwise). Tri-Q is a pre-amp thing, so doesn't affect the FX return. I think it works great for that application, but as an added bonus, I tried plugging the guitar directly in to the quilter and it sounds surprisingly good.

Do you think using just the power section (using just the effect return) colors the tone any? Is the 50 watt 101 model very loud? I have had solid state amps before that said 50 watts but were not very loud compared to the 200 watt version. Trying to decide between this or a Fryette power station.

I don't really know how much, if any, it is colored because I haven't compared it to some other "flat" power amp. I just know it doesn't sound band and, in fact, I think it sounds good.

As far as volume, I think it is plenty loud. I run it at about the 5W master setting and have no problem keeping up with a band with a moderate playing drummer. Also, if I remember right, that manual says it is really more like 100W when on certain settings. I play amps with plenty of midrange that cut through, so I think that plays a factor in how much power you need. I think the more you scoop the mids, the more you need.

Do you think using just the power section (using just the effect return) colors the tone any? Is the 50 watt 101 model very loud? I have had solid state amps before that said 50 watts but were not very loud compared to the 200 watt version. Trying to decide between this or a Fryette power station.

Quilters are very loud. I have another SS amp that says 100W and the Quilter at 10-20W is louder :)... Some people make fun saying “100 quilter watts” ...

Also, I strongly believe that the power section is very flat. They even state in the manual that it doesn’t have any eq or color.

Back
Top Bottom